Openings

chibull2000

Freshman
Jan 20, 2007
I know there are a few in Northwest Iowa

* Western
* George-Little Rock
* Sibley-Ocheyedan

Anyone have any others? Any one have any info on who might be candidates for these open jobs. I see Western has its own thread so disregard them on here.

I figured Western Christian's opening had already been spoken for.

The Muscatine job is a good one....at least for the short term. Getting to coach Wieskamp for two years would be a draw for a lot of people.

Just found out that Parents were the driving force to the Openings at GLR & Sibley-O. Not sure what parents expect now days and what kinda of coaches they are going to get to fill these openings.

Just found out that Parents were the driving force to the Openings at GLR & Sibley-O. Not sure what parents expect now days and what kinda of coaches they are going to get to fill these openings.

Yeah that's crazy. George Little Rock I have seen play and they were well coached. Just didn't have the horses to compete. I think too many parents all think their team should be tops every year. Unrealistic.

from Sibley-O stand point sounds as if the lack of success was the driving factor. evidently they have a talented freshman group and sounded like the parents didn't want the current coach to continue coaching. GLR sounded like it was a mixture of what vintage hoops said in his prior post. this is coming from people from both communities. Right or wrong parents are a handful now days and good luck to anyone wanting to coach.

Parents need to teach their kids to take ownership of their work ethic and attitude and improve it, rather than show its okay to just go complain and whine your way to gettin a coach fired to the AD or principal...not saying schilling was the easiest person to play for but the kid knows basketball and I'm sure pushed the kids very hard and took losing very hard and probably didn't handle mediocrity very well but that's the day in age we have come to accept as a whole where as long as everyone is comfortable just playing some ball everyone is a winner. If you lose, oh well try again next year.

Some coaches are too competitive and expect more from the players than the ho hum apathetic mindset a lot more kids have in these low to middle level programs. It's exactly how parents should want their kids coached, fight tooth and nail every game and if you don't win, work harder.

These kids go through a little adversity with a new coach that's hard on them and expects their best efforts and they think they should just complain and get a new coach.

It's no wonder turnover is so high and granted sometimes the coach is just bad but I'm sure there are plenty of cases where the coach is pretty darn good and gets let go because of the parents.

Hard to get kids to fully buy into a program and coach when they go home every night and their parents fuel their doubts and mistrust by questioning every little decision the coach makes and plants seeds in their kids minds that grows and ends up tearing a program apart year in and year out like an on going cancer.

Reactions: tantrent
This was pretty well said. Parents have the little league mindset about fair play in high school these days. And it is driving more and more good coaches away from the game.

How many Hartley kids have transferred to Spirit Lake in the last couple years?

Exactly. The whole thing is honestly a skewed perception of reality. There are too many parents and youth coaches telling kids a. They are better than they are. B. They don't make any mistakes. or C. Both A and B

This is not some national hotbed. Most of these kids and their parents who cause problems don't end up playing basketball at the next level or never make it past the JV level at a NAIA or D3 school. Stop overrating and overhyping these kids.

Sad to hear that Schilling won't be coaching at GLR next year. They have definitely been a young team the last 2 years, but lots of experience coming up. I don't know who you're going to find that's more qualified then him. Who knows what the situation was there, maybe more complicated? Sibley is a wrestling school and hasn't been relivent in basketball consistently for over 10 years.

Sports used to be an extra-curricular activity ..... not a life or death matter. Very few kids are going to get the chance to go to the next level.

Mid Prairie is open

You can add Perry to the list of openings. Any word on any of the other vacancies being filled?

Western ... Filled

Any of these filled yet?

George-Little Rock
Sibley-Ocheyedan
Burlington
Clear Creek Amana
Washington
Cascade
Mid Prairie
Perry
Sioux City North

from what I heard at GLR is that there haven't been any applicants. my guess is there current assistant will end up taking the job. Sibley-O is in the same boat from what I heard. Sounds like they may have to fill within as well. Just what Ive been hearing from talking to community members. No one really seems to know though I guess.

Any word where Coach Menke at Perry is going? He's pretty young, so I can't imagine he's no longer going to coach basketball.

You can add Perry to the list of openings. Any word on any of the other vacancies being filled?

Any word where Coach Menke at Perry is going? He's pretty young, so I can't imagine he's no longer going to coach basketball.
He is staying in Perry. He is going to become the Elementary Principal and between that and having two young kids at home made the very hard decision to give up coaching so he can devote more time to his new job and family. I think someday he would like to get back into coaching but for now there were other things in life that took priority.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
From a couple of community members GLR's assistant has taken his name out of the running for the head coach. Not sure if that is true or not. I just know its getting late and would think they would want to hire someone soon. Still haven't heard anything more on Sibley-O either.

Burlington High School opened today.[/QUOTE/) If you are talking about the basketball job I heard the hired ex Notre Dame coach Cody Van Fleet. If so they might have a winner if they can find some talent.

According to their school board minutes Sibley-Ocheydan has hired Kent Douma as their head boys basketball coach

I've heard a different name being touted, but don't have anything solid. Either of the potential names would be a good step.

Sounds like there is a huge mess at GLR. They had an applicant and the school board voted against it last night, so now they are back to square one. Does this happen a lot at other schools where there is a recommendation for hire and school board rejects it?

Both the boys (Scott Brummel) and girls (Jamie Zabel) coaches at CMB resigned. Not really sure why with Brummel, Zabel is evidently starting on his Doctorate and doesn't want to short any of his duties. With the issues going on there between, I'm not sure any new hires will be made, sounds like it's likely the assistants will be promoted, but not 100% on that. Whatever happens likely won't be long term as it looks like CMB may not be have long term anything.

What do you mean "CMB may not be have long term anything"?

Both the boys (Scott Brummel) and girls (Jamie Zabel) coaches at CMB resigned. Not really sure why with Brummel, Zabel is evidently starting on his Doctorate and doesn't want to short any of his duties. With the issues going on there between, I'm not sure any new hires will be made, sounds like it's likely the assistants will be promoted, but not 100% on that. Whatever happens likely won't be long term as it looks like CMB may not be have long term anything.

What do you mean "CMB may not be have long term anything"?

I'd put it at around 50/50 that CMB doesn't exist past the next two years. If it wasn't for the football districts getting changed this year, I'd say one year. CM has some issues and has been doing some looking elsewhere (how serious the looking depends on the perspective) and has done a, at times, really bad job of communicating with Baxter. It's a mess. The joint school board meeting last week was a disaster.

We'll know more after next week when each school board meets. I know Baxter has the sharing on the agenda and are going to thoroughly discuss if they want to look elsewhere, which they haven't done up to this point. Not sure if CM has it the agenda or not, but I would assume it does.

For the record, I have ties to both schools and want them to work things out, and would honestly prefer they consolidate. But I do lean more towards one side than the other and want what's overall best for them.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Western ... Filled

Any of these filled yet?

George-Little Rock
Sibley-Ocheyedan
Burlington
Clear Creek Amana
Washington
Cascade
Mid Prairie
Perry
Sioux City North

Brandon Clubb, the longtime coach at North Tama will be taking the CCA job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT