ADVERTISEMENT

Observation on 1A seeding 1999-2007

w.churchill

Freshman
Sep 28, 2005
No #8 seed has beat a #1. 2nd seeds have won more titles than 1st seeds 3 - 2. 4th seeds have a better record than 3rd. No titles to 6th or 7th seeds.

Also, teams from SE Iowa failed to match or beat their seed 6 out of 9 years. The best record at matching or beating their seed??? East Central teams matched or beat seeding 8 out of 9 years. Central IA teams close behind at 7.

Could be bad news for #4 Keokuk, good news for #5 Wahlert and # 7 Norwalk. Teams from Glenwood's substate have never exceeded their seed.

My apologies if I added wrong. I did this fast -- just thought it would be interesting.

Over the past 9 years the first seed has finished on top twice; second 3 times; third twice and 4th twice.

Some of this is incorrect. For example, Denison was unseeded in 2000 and placed second. Also its hard to exceed a seeding placement when you are seeded 1st or 2nd.

I'm assuming you meant substate 8, not "Glenwood's" substate because Glenwood has flip-flopped substates since 1999.

would not surprise me if some of the info was incorrect. however, every team has a seed 1 -- 8.

if a team was seeded 8 and lost the first day, i counted that as matching the seeding. so too, if a team was seeded 5th and lost to the 4th seed on the first day i counted that as matching the seed.

made no attempt to get complicated. so it is what it is -- perhaps interesting, perhaps useless information

several schools moved back and forth -- glenwood, xavier, assumption, i think wahlert was 2A until 2004 -- so solon, mt. vernon and regina can all thank the wahlert drop to 1A for the reason why they see so much of xavier in substate play, sure there are others.

more changes to come next year as xavier moves up.

it is hard to match a 1 or 2 seed. hopefully you did not take my observation as being negative toward holding seed. if a team holds a 1 or 2 that is great.

info was more interesting when looked at from the stand point of what areas historically do not hold seed over time. not sure 9 years of data is enough to make judgements however, i should think it is getting close

Nice correction on everyone being seeded...I always forget that because the seeding is pseudo-random. I would say the seeding process is definitely flawed and its not teams choking that are underperforming; instead many teams are over-seeded because of record.

I think this information if fun to look at.

I'm not sure how the seeding is done at state as far as to weight of games against 2A schools. Looking at Norwalk this year it is easy to see that playing a tough schedule rewards your team in many ways but seeding is not one of them. I'm not sure how they could take this into account without bringing in many other arguments.

The best team usually wins every year. Whether or not that game is played in the championship game is another story.
This post was edited on 5/28 10:39 AM by HawkeyeByGodsGrace

Now that the 2008 1A tournament is over, I can update my observation posted May 25.

#1 seed has won the tournament twice; second 3 times; 3rd twice and finished 4th three times.

The team from south east Iowa has failed to hold seed 7 out of 10 years.
Wahlert from east central Iowa and Norwalk from central Iowa both finished higher than their seeds making that 9 of 10 years for east central & 8 of 10 years for central Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT