ADVERTISEMENT

Number 24 gets a medal in 2A High Jump!!!

mfp mmiv

Freshman
Jan 27, 2008
The new system rewarded one individual - James Davisson, a Columbus Community junior, was the 24th and last individual to make the state meet field in the 2A high jump. Davisson was a friday big surprise. He walked away from Drake Stadium with a fifth-place finish.
“I was really happy,” Davisson said. “I was pretty nervous coming in here. This is exciting.”
He had never jumped higher than 6 feet this season, but he took an alternative approach this week. “I started speeding up a lot more and getting some acceleration into the jump,” Davisson said.
Davisson, cleared a career-best 6-2. His three attempts at 6-4 fell short.
“I can’t even explain it,” Davisson said. “I’m just so happy how I performed like this. It’s really exciting to be in the top eight. I really surprised myself I made it that far.”
That said, Davisson has lofty goals for next season.“I want to jump 6-8 next year,” he said.

The new system did not reward this individual. In fact, it nearly did the opposite. Since he qualified in 24th, he was not a "bump in" but rather he secured his spot with a 3rd place district finish. 3rd place finishers in 2A have been included in the state meet for each of the past 10 years. If just one more 4th place finisher at a district had been better than the 12th qualifier, Mr. Davisson would have been left home.

Congratulations to Mr. Davisson, heck of a good time to PR!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT