ADVERTISEMENT

Norwalk over Xavier in shootout.

FANattic06

Freshman
Jan 23, 2005
0-0 all the way through the game, Norwalk wins in a shootout. To me it seemed like Norwalk was just packing it in and playing not to lose rather then win. Xavier controlled 90% of the game, and got unlucky a few times in the first half by hitting the post and having several good chances. Overall though the game was very exciting, and I was happy to see Norwalk came out with the win.

if all they did was pack it in and play for a shootout then theyre cowards.but thats only if they did that.all it says is theyre afraid.i really hope they didnt play like that
This post was edited on 6/2 3:57 PM by baseballballaif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Norwalk's game plan was not to pack it in. Playing defense for a lot of the game was due to Xavier's great attacking players. Norwalk had 2 forwards the whole game, and would never play 'not to lose'.

As a spectator of the game and watching it unbiasedly, i agree that norwalk played defensively most of the game, not due to their gameplan or goal of "packing it in", but rather due to the same thing as soccergod posted, xavier definitely had more offensive threats.

Nobody who is sane would play to lose. Congrats Norwalk but remember who you have a loss to when you win the Championship.

what a dumb post PerryWhite...I am sure they will remember you when you didnt even make it to state I am sure if they have a state title they would careless who they lost to in the regular season.....

I was at the game too and I saw that Xavier was clearly the better team, but couldn't finish their opportunites. Norwalk finished when it mattered making all of their PK shots. I have two questions for Norwalk though....1.Why was your goalie trying to react to all of the PK shots instead of guessing knowing that Xavier's got some superstars that will put them in the corner (except for one) 2. Why in the world were u guys wearing long sleeve jerseys? it was scorching out

i wasn't there but i saw those jerseys on tv and if they are the same ones ive seen they actually are really cool..almost cooler than short sleeve ones. there sweet not gonna lie.

The long sleeves are pretty light, if i was still playing i would love to have them, covering my arms.
Xavier did have more chances no doubt about that, but Norwalk did have several good opportunities to score. In overtime Cummings had an awkward 1v1 with the goalie that he would normally put in to clinch the game right there. In the 2nd half norwalk's pressure did create some quality opportunities to score.
Xavier however did have more "opportunities" to score, including once when they hit the post. They didn't execute however and lost the game in the shootouts. Sometimes the "best" team doesnt win the game. Many upsets happen, this just happened to be one. It was a long time coming that Norwalk finally got over the hump of beating Xavier, it's really to bad it didnt come in the championship game, not taking anything away from Denison but I'm pretty sure every thinks that this was the true 1a championship game. Denison is going to give Norwalk a hell of a game on Tuesday, and an upset could happen, just look the Norwalk/Xavier game.

Norwalk had some opportunities but they were few and far between, as evidenced by the final shot total of 23-4. Unfortunately for Xavier, soccer isn't one by the team with the most shots taken, but by the team with the most shots made and Norwalk was just scrappy and Xavier missed just enough shots they normally would make to take the game to PK's, where Norwalk was able to finish the job. Congrats to Norwalk on getting the job done and good luck in the final. Your fans and players are class acts and if someone else has to bring home the trophy, I hope it's you guys.

twas an amazing game. xavier didnt capitalize on their chances. im not sure why xavier put noonan on the wing in the start of the 2nd half. his presence was dominant early on and it appeared as if norwalk had more control in the middle when he was outside. they then moved noonan back to the middle. konchar had a key yellow card. danny bauer had a crazy volley in double overtime that ben smiley had a great save on.

tough loss for CR: Xavier but a huge win for norwalk. congrats to both teams and watch Xavier absolutly demolish fort madison...

-PerryWhite: please keep your trap shut.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT