ADVERTISEMENT

New Pods

Here's my thoughts on tonight's games and how I think they play out:

South O'Brien vs. St. Albert = St Albert 34-7
Riverside vs. Logan-Magnolia Lo-Ma 28-13
H-M-S vs W Hancock = W Hancock 35-0
Nodaway Valley vs. Grundy Center = Grundy (by alot) 49-0
Lisbon vs. Wapsie Valley = Lisbon (28-27)
Alburnett vs. Regina = Regina (by alot) 35-42 by halftime
MFL vs. Edgewood-Colesburg = MFL ed-co continues to be overrated MFL in a landslide
South Winnesheik vs. St.Ansgar = St. ansgar 35-15

I wasn't ever mad. I'm the last thing from a Wapsie fan. Just stating that they would have had an easier road if they had been seeded in Pod D by losing the coin flip.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Can anyone give a recap of the Wapsie Valley vs Lisbon game? Saw it was 8-8 somewhat late before Wapsie won 15-8.
Total defensive stalemate? I’d love some details.

Great article, thanks. WV with a big 4th down stop from the 3 yard line in the final minutes. Sounds like it was a very even, well matched game.

Can anyone give a recap of the Wapsie Valley vs Lisbon game? Saw it was 8-8 somewhat late before Wapsie won 15-8.
Total defensive stalemate? I’d love some details.

In case you didn't read the article... coming into the game the expectation was that they would shut down the run and therefore we would have to pass. They actually did a good job of shutting down the pass but that opened up the run a bit more than we were expecting. First quarter, Lisbon ate up a bunch of time (close to 10 minutes) but running down the field. Wapsie was able to come up with a big 4th down stop to get the ball back. Wapsie drove the ball down and got the call on a questionable pass interference call that kept the drive alive. It took the refs like 15 minutes to figure out how to spot the ball - was a real cluster. The drive ended up stalling inside the Red Zone. Defense tightened up through the remainder of the half to go into halftime 0-0.

Wapsie got the ball in second half, got a first down or two with some big runs by Sauerbrei and didn't get a call on an obvious pass interference call that would have been a touchdown (probably a make up call). Wapsie was forced to punt. Lisbon systematically drove the ball the field and scored. They got the 2 point conversion. On the first paly after the kickoff Wapsie had a 60+ yard pass TD from Risse to Bellis. (They had been pressing Bellis all night and he just burned the corner and Risse made a perfect pass.) Sauerbrei ran in the 2 point conversion to tie it up.

Wapsie's defense shut down Lisbon and got the ball back. Sauerbrei then ran the ball down the field on a number of big runs for Wapsie and capped off the drive with a rushing touchdown. Wapsie kicked the extra point. Lisbon received the kickoff and drove the ball down the field (down by 7) with the clock winding down. Lisbon had the ball inside the 10 yard line with less than 2 minutes to go. Sauerbrei made a huge tackle for loss of first down on a blitz up the middle. They made short yardage on the next two plays and then with roughly 90 seconds left went for it on 4th and 5 on a sweep left and Wapsie read it and tackled them for a loss to force the turnover on downs. Huge defensive stop!

In summary, all of Lisbon's RBs were held to less than 75 yards, but they did have over 250 yards rushing in total, the Wapsie defense just stiffened in the Red Zone's. Wapsie had a big play through the air and then was able to find room running against them (mainly second half). Sauerbrei ended up with 150+ yards rushing. But WV defense buckled down when they needed to.

Regina will be very tough as they have some great athletes, but it is interesting because there are a LOT of similarities in how the teams are designed. Very balanced attack, strong RB, WR and QB. I think Wapsie has a better chance than most might think, because their athletes do match up well against Regina and I believe their defense is playing extremely tough right now. Now hopefully the COVID bug doesn't bite us in the ass like it did for the girls volleyball team!

Great recap, thank you. Sounds like that big TD pass for Wapsie turned everything around for them.
It would have been very interesting to see what would have happened if Lisbon did manage to score late.
They almost always go for two. Would have potentially come down to that single play to decide the winner.

Should be a great game between Wapsie Valley and Regina. Agree that they are two similarly built teams.
Should hopefully have some good weather and both teams can do what they do best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT