Ft Dodge St Edmonds 58 Eagle Grove 19
Hampton Dumont 47 Webster City 31
Iowa Falls Alden 48 Humboldt 34

Algona 53 Webster City 30

Clear Lake 45 IF-A 40

Clarion Goldfield 58 Eagle Grove 52

Ft Dodge St Edmond 45 Algona Garrigan 40

Hampton Dumont 41 Humboldt 27

Hampton Dumont's Taryn Barz scored her 1000th career point in last nights win over Humboldt. Congratulations Taryn!

Tuesday's matchups -

Hampton-Dumont (8-2) at St. Edmond (12-1)
Eagle Grove (1-11) at Iowa Falls-Alden (8-5)
Algona (9-4) at Clarion-Goldfield (3-10)
Webster City (2-10) at Clear Lake (8-3)
Bishop Garrigan (6-9) at Humboldt (4-7)

The big one is the rematch between the Gaels and the Bulldogs. H-D handed St. Eds their only loss earlier in the season, 57-45.

The Bulldogs hampered the Gaels' fast-paced attack and got solid scoring efforts from Prantner (13) and Speake (9) to go along with Taryn Barz's 22-pt effort, which was matched by SE's Anna Yung, but the Gaels only had one other girl score more than 5 pts.

SE has rebounded well since that defeat, winning 9 straight. The Bulldogs followed up that win with two tough losses to Clear Lake and North Butler. However, this is a pivotal clash as both teams have the one conference loss. Whoever comes out on top Tuesday will definitely have the inside track in the conference race, although both still have to face Clear Lake, who can still make some noise with just 2 losses in NCC play.

Garrigan hit a 3 at the buzzer to beat Humboldt 35-34. Great shot as she double clutched it with a girl in her face. I think BG lead for only 30 seconds the whole game but lead when it counted.

Tuesday results

Hampton Dumont 48 Ft. Dodge St. Edmonds 45

Algona Garrigan 35 Humboldt 34

Algona 40 Clarion Goldfield 33

Iowa Falls Alden 54 Eagle Grove 33

Clear Lake 49 Webster City 30

Current standings according to quik stats.

Hampton Dumont 9-1
St. Edmond 11-2
Clear Lake 8-2
Algona 8-3
Iowa Falls-Alden 7-4
Algona Garrigan 5-8
Humboldt 3-8
Clarion Goldfield 3-9
Webster City 2-9
Eagle Grove 1-10

St. Edmond fended off Algona 50-40. Big games from here on out for the Gaels. Home games vs Humboldt on Tues., Clear Lake on Friday and then Carroll Kuemper on Saturday.

Anyone have the final from Clear Lake? I heard on the radio that H-D was getting thumped pretty good by CL, so that'll make for an interesting clash between the Gaels and Lions next Friday.

Like I said, CL could still make some noise and if they won tonight, we're looking at a 3-way tie right now in the standings.

H-D got smoked by Clear Lake. Clear Lake by 22. Was a 2 point game at half. One team made adjustments, one team did not.

I was wondering what everyone thought about the NCC teams chances now that the brackets are out. It appears to me that it will be tough sledding for anybody to get to Des Moines this year.
St Ed's has a difficult task.(manson nw-Webster)
H-D has a couple highly ranked teams in their region (EL-C, and Nevada)
Clear Lake (who only has to win 2 games) but will have a tough one with Waverly.
Algona (see H-D)
Clarion (see H-D)
IF-A (see H-D)
Webster City ( Spencer)
Humboldt (see Webster City)
Eagle Grove (see St Eds)
Algona Garrigan ( W Sioux and Central Lyon)

I do think region 3 in class 3A is a pretty tough one. Five teams with ten or more wins already. IF-A (10-5), Algona (10-5), H-D (12-3), Nevada (13-3), EL-C(14-2). All with 5 or 6 games remaining.

I don't think anyone has a good chance to make it this year. I just feel like the league is a little down this year but there are a lot of good young players who will be coming back for future years so we'll have to see how they mesh in the future.

As for this year, I think St. Edmond is the only team with a decent shot to make it. I only say that because they have the least amount of teams who can beat them. If they would get by CK though, they do have to beat MNW, who has owned them for quite some time, but I feel that the Gaels have size with their speed in both their guards and forwards to cause some match up problems. The Cougars also have a new coach, as of last year, who, I believe, likes man to man defense more than Coach Wubben did. I think that is a better match up than the zone as well. You can't under estimate the ability of all the Cougars to play a well rounded game though and make it extremely difficult on an opponent. I know the TLC/Northwest conference takes a lot of heat in boys basketball as being weak, but I think its hard to argue that it is much better in girls basketball. Too be honest, I think this could be a fun match up to watch though and I will definitely plan on attending that match up.

This post was edited on 1/22 3:12 PM by house54hoops

Well, yeah the big thing is getting by Kuemper first. Baby steps. Last year SE ran into a familiar opponent with the toughest 2A 1st rd draw against South Hamilton, a team they beat earlier in the year. SH had improved a lot over the course of the year and was able to rely heavily on Taryn Wicks in their run to the District finals.

Also they'll need to get through Panorama if they advance past the 2nd rd. Their off. and def. averages are among the best in the class, albeit they play mostly 1A/2A competition. However, I think Panorama has a team, this year, that's more of a result of a good developing program, as opposed to a team that may pick up some extra wins because of a softer schedule. (DMC boys struggle with this annually)
We'll see if their level of competition is at all a hindrance when they face a St. Eds or a MNW.

Iowa Falls-Alden 37, Algona 31
St. Edmond 54, Clear Lake 38

Gaels with the big win over the Lions last night. The win makes it a two-team race, for now, heading into the home stretch.

SE goes to Webster City on Tues. and then can clinch a share of the conference title next Friday at home vs IF-A if they win out.

Gael girls score a nice win over Carroll Kuemper, 46-43.

These two teams could meet again in the 2nd rd of the 2A regionals, as SE hosts the winner of Kuemper-Prairie Valley.

Gaels had a big run in the 1st qtr and led 20-6 going into the 2nd. Controlled the game for the most part although the Lions cut it to 6 with just over 3 minutes to go. SE finished strong though going 9 for 11 from the FT line in the 4th and pulled away.

CL started fouling and putting the Gaels at the line with just under 4 minutes to go and really slowed the game down, but the girls stepped up and made their foul shots.

Current NCC standings per Quikstats thru 1-31-13

St Edmond, Fort Dodge 15-2
Hampton-Dumont 13-2
Clear Lake 12-3
Algona 10-5
Iowa Falls-Alden 10-5
Bishop Garrigan, Algona 6-11
Humboldt 5-10
Clarion-Goldfield 4-13
Webster City 2-12
Eagle Grove 2-14

Thanks for posting the standings.

Now time for a question. IF St. Edmond and Hampton-Dumont win out, do they tie for the title or do the Bulldogs win the title since they beat SE twice?

Nope, no tiebreaker for conference championships. Same as if it were Clear Lake and Hampton-Dumont. CL (if they had 2 losses instead of SE) wouldn't be the outright champ just because they swept H-D. The Bulldogs would still be co-champs. Co-championships have actually been pretty common on the boys side.

I should look to see if there's ever been a 3-way split for the conference title, either for the boys or the girls. I'm sure it's happened before.

As for tonight's matchups:

Iowa Falls-Alden at St. Edmond
Humboldt at Webster City
Clear Lake at Eagle Grove
Bishop Garrigan at Algona
Hampton-Dumont at Clarion-Goldfield

If the Gael girls can top the Cadets tonight they will clinch at least a share of their 2nd straight NCC title (a team first).

H-D also has a home contest with Webster City and a road trip to Algona before they can secure their first NCC title since I want to say the mid 2000s when the Mennen sisters were there. (I think they won a conference title- or several -, but not 100% sure. Girls bball info is harder to come by.)

I believe the last time H-D was girls conference champ was the 2005-2006 year. They were 17-1 in conference play. Two Mennen girls were on that team. Alexa was a senior and McKayla was a sophomore.

I believe Thunder is correct. No tiebreakers. Just co-champions.

Algona 43, Bishop Garrigan 42 OT
St. Edmond 55, Iowa falls-Alden 38

Congrats to Coach Messerly and the SE girls on clinching a share of their second straight NCC title. It's the 4th(?) in program history and first time they've won back-to-back titles. Gaels finished the regular season 19-2 overall and 16-2 in conference.

H-D still with two games to go in order to clinch their share of the conference title.

Time for a preview of the regional matchups as teams wind down their regular season and begin the postseason trek.

Class 1A Region 1- 1st round:
West Bend-Mallard at Bishop Garrigan- 2/7, 7pm

-winner advances to play winner of Laurens-Marathon at Storm Lake, St. Mary's in Laurens; 2/12, 7pm

Class 2A Region 2- 1st round:
Eagle Grove at West Fork- 2/9, 7pm

-winner advances to play at Manson Northwest Webster; 2/12, 7pm

2nd round:
Prairie Valley/Carroll Kuemper at St. Edmond- 2/12, 7pm

-winner advances to face winner of South Hamilton/Ogden at Panorama in Ogden; 2/15, 7pm

Class 3A Region 3- 1st round:
Iowa Falls-Alden at Roland-Story- 2/9, 7pm

-winner advances to face winner of South Hardin at Nevada in Nevada; 2/13, 7pm

Clarion-Goldfield at Hampton-Dumont- 2/9, 7pm

Algona at Estherville-Lincoln Central- 2/9, 7pm

-winner of C-G/H-D to face winner of Alg/E-LC in Algona; 2/13, 7pm

Class 4A Region 1- 1st round:
Webster City at Humboldt- 2/13, 7pm

-winner advances to play at Spencer; 2/16, 7pm

Regional Semifinal:
Decorah/Charles City at Clear Lake; 2/16, 7pm

Bishop Garrigan vs. West Bend-Mallard; Somehow I think Garrigan can pull this one off. Once again I would say their tough schedule will give them an edge.

Eagle Grove vs. West Fork: I saw West Fork play and they are really down from the where they have been the last few years. They still play some scrappy defense and have done reasonably well against Corn Bowl competition. It wouldn't surprise me to see EG knock off the Warhawks. Regardless of who wins, I don't see either of them being that competitive with MNW.

St. Edmond vs. Kuemper (more than likely): We'll see if the Gaels can beat a good Carroll Kuemper team twice. From the scores I have seen, it appears as though the Gaels are playing some pretty good basketball right now. Their road to state will likely be Kuemper, Panorama, and Manson. Each of those opponents will be a challenge but there is no one that seems impossible for them to beat.

Iowa Falls-Alden vs. Roland-Story: This should be a good match up. Roland-Story is usually a strong program but they are really down this year. IFA has shown much improvement and I could see this game be a battle.

Clarion-Goldfield vs. Hampton-Dumont: It is tough to beat a team 3 times in a season but H-D has won 66-35 and 62-34 decisions. C-G is also without Sann, their leading scorer, due to an injury. This will also make it more difficult for the Cowgirls defensively against the Bulldogs.

Algona vs. Estherville: Tough draw for an Algona team with a pretty good record. They did beat Spencer 38-32 and Estherville only beat Spencer 37-29 the last time they played them. I haven't seen Estherville play this year but judging by the scores, I would take Estherville by about 15.

Humboldt vs. Webster City: This game will be a battle between two of the teams toward the bottom of the conference. I don't see the winner getting past Spencer though.

Clear Lake vs. Charles City or Decorah: Clear Lake is playing good basketball right now. I don't see them getting by Waverly-Shell Rock but I wouldn't mind seeing the upset.

- I agree that Garrigan can win. They've dropped 4 straight but against good competition. That'll be the challenge to overcome. Finding that winning spark once again.

- WF should win this one, but EG has played a lot of teams tougher this year. I don't see an upset, but it's nice to see the Eagles improving.

- Kuemper shouldn't lose to PV. If they do, it'd probably be one of the bigger upsets of the 1st rd. They've regrouped pretty well since that loss to SE. I'm sure the Gaels are doing everything they can to stay sharp in the midst of this long layoff and they'll need to as Kuemper will bring their A game, and it could very well be another battle to the finish. BCMoore now has the Knights at #9, while SE is back at #13. He had the Gaels as home underdogs in their first meeting and they'll most likely be that again. Last year, St. Edmond had the toughest 1st round game in 2A. This year, while one can argue they may not have the toughest 2nd rd draw, they're going to be playing a team that is ahead of them in at least one poll, and will be favored again on the road, according to that poll. Awesome stuff.

- This should be another close game. I'll lean towards the home court advantage on this one, but the Cadets have played well in spots down the stretch.

- The Bulldogs should take care of business here. How many times now have CG and HD met in the postseason recently? I know they opened or met in the 2nd rd last year, correct?

- E-LC still has those same girls from when they were sophs/frosh and played in the 2A title game correct? This is a pretty darn good team, but they've also got a 9-pt loss to 3A MOC-FV and an 11-pt loss to 2A Western. Tomorrow night is WC at E-LC to close the season. Will be looking forward to seeing that score. Algona was a scrappy team this year, but E-LC is just too tough.

- Humboldt should win, but this is a good case where beating a team 3 times in a row could be tough. WC has hung around with some of the better teams in the conference for stretches before falling short, and they're probably not too happy with the result of their last meeting with Humboldt (53-19 loss at home, a stark contrast to a 6-pt loss on the road, 49-43, earlier in the year). I'm still expecting Humboldt to win, but it'll be much closer than their last meeting.

- Clear Lake and Charles City will actually meet in their last regular season game, before the start of regional play, so it'll be interesting to see the results. I actually think it could be a pretty close affair. CL would probably wanna match with Decorah instead of CC, but who they get is who they get. Good news for them is it'll be at Clear Lake.

Bringing that discussion about the NCC going to divisions over to the conference thread, I'm gonna try to put together a hypothetical schedule using SE as an example. For now, I'll assume Garrigan is gone and we're still sitting with 9 teams.

x- division game; y- crossover game

vs TBA***
at Clarion-Goldfield x
at Hampton-Dumont x
vs (Algona) y
at (TBA)
at (Clear Lake) y
vs South Hamilton
vs (TBA)
at (TBA)
at Eagle Grove x
vs Clarion-Goldfield x
at TBA***
vs Hampton-Dumont x
at (TBA)
vs (Humboldt) y
vs (TBA)
vs Carroll Kuemper
at (Webster City) y
at Pocahontas
vs (Iowa Falls-Alden) y
vs Eagle Grove x
Proposed NCC playoff game

- 3 road division games / 3 home division games
- ideally 2 road crossover games / 3 home crossover games
- dropping: at Humboldt, vs Webster City, at Iowa Falls-Alden, at Algona, vs Clear Lake (order in which they appeared on schedule)
- *** (where Bishop Garrigan was on schedule)

So with this current schedule, without having put in other non-conference (nc) games, SE would have 5 conf. road games, 6 conf. home games, 2 nc home games, and 1 nc road game for a subtotal of 8 home games and 6 road games; leaving 4 nc road games and 2 nc home games to be picked up. Note that a home game will be dropped due to the 21st game being the proposed conference playoff game (1vs1, 2vs2 etc). That'd make it 10 home games and 10 road games total, plus the playoff.

Can St. Edmond find 6 more non-conference games out there?

I agree that it would be a good idea to allow teams to schedule conference opponents, but as non-conference contests to help fill the voids. Most schools, especially in the smaller classes, are pretty hamstrung with room for non-conference games due to the size of their own conferences.
I don't know if you could or would even want to fill all your available spots with conference opponents, but again most teams will probably fill most of them with NCC teams just because it can be hard to find others to play.

I still think that Garrigan and SE will play every year. It could just be that they end up meeting once a year alternating sites as non-conference opponents. Garrigan will still get to have non-conference teams on the schedule despite the "super conference" potentially in the works, and SE will be at the top of the list. There's no reason for them not to be. They still play in football and Garrigan was even 2 classes below SE for a period of time.

I will say that this new format, does open the door even the tiniest bit for the possibility of a St. Edmond-Fort Dodge crosstown rivalry game. They can already square off any time they want as FD takes on Humboldt, Webster City and occasionally Eagle Grove. Now with more games to fill, this would make the prospect of adding FD to the schedule even more enticing. Of course, right now, both schools are fine with where they are at, hence why they haven't played in nearly 4 decades. Both schools tend to root for one another when push comes to shove, and I don't think they want to risk that by playing (even though they do in tennis and baseball).
But needing to fill 6 (well, 5) vacancies certainly would make one more open to the idea of an FD-SE non-conference scrum.

Using the above model, here is how I would fill in the blanks:

vs *Bishop Garrigan (annual rivalry, only meeting this year)
at Clarion-Goldfield x
at Hampton-Dumont x
vs Algona y
at *Manson Northwest Webster (non-conference, used to play on a near-annual basis, something of a rivalry...)
at Clear Lake y
vs South Hamilton (non-conference)
vs *Webster City (non-conference, good rivalry game, need to fill spots)
at *Iowa Falls-Alden (non-conference, good rivalry game, need to fill spots)
at Eagle Grove x
vs Clarion-Goldfield x
at *Humboldt (non-conference, good rivalry game, need to fill spots)
vs Hampton-Dumont x
at *East Sac County (non-conference, often meet in midseason scrimmages)
vs Humboldt y
- (vacancy due to playoff game)
vs Carroll Kuemper (non-conference)
at Webster City y
at Pocahontas (non-conference)
vs Iowa Falls-Alden y
vs Eagle Grove x
NCC playoff game

(*)- teams in place of the (TBA)

Non-conference team notes:
- Again Garrigan and SE meet once a year instead of twice and rotate home and away (or home and home, however you prefer that weird terminology)

- MNW played 6 non-conf. games this year

- SE and SH have played on an annual basis for several years now (also see Poky)

- Webster City and SE have had some great battles over the years and it'd be a shame if they started only meeting once a year. This is a good, close game (location-wise) for the Gaels to keep on the schedule, even if it'd now be a non-conf. game.

- Note: this was the last non-conf. game I filled in, but this is where it ended up on the schedule. For the sake of argument, I had to decide whether to go with a team from another conference, or stay within the NCC. I figured even with the changing schedule structures, IF-A fans probably wouldn't like the idea of only playing St. Edmond on the road (even if it's just every other year). They love playing SE at home, so why deprive them of that?
ohwell.r191677.gif

- As mentioned, Humboldt is a good, close rival to pick up for a non-conf. game even though they're in the same conference

- ESC and SE have had some heated scrimmages over the years and if it came to needing to fill a ton of vacancies, this would be the opportune time to sign these teams up to settle things on the court for real.
smokin.r191677.gif

- I was gonna propose an SE-E'burg/Storm Lake non-conf. meeting, but I needed to make room for the playoff game, so this is that void in the schedule.

- The Kuemper-SE rivalry resumed in 2011 after an extended hiatus, notably when SE jumped to the NCC and the CYO dropped their basketball tournament. This has been a good game for both teams since they started playing again. The atmospheres for all 6 contests (boys/girls) have been great.

- Poky and SE have played on an annual basis for several years now (also see SH). Worth noting, Pomeroy-Palmer can be included in that mix back when they were separate from Poky. That could be a part of why this non-conference rivalry has lasted over the years.

Bringing that discussion about the NCC going to divisions over to the conference thread, I'm gonna try to put together a hypothetical schedule using SE as an example. For now, I'll assume Garrigan is gone and we're still sitting with 9 teams.

vs TBA***
at Clarion-Goldfield x
at Hampton-Dumont x
vs (Algona) y
at (TBA)
at (Clear Lake) y
vs South Hamilton
vs (TBA)
at (TBA)
at Eagle Grove x
vs Clarion-Goldfield x
at TBA***
vs Hampton-Dumont x
at (TBA)
vs (Humboldt) y
vs (TBA)
vs Carroll Kuemper
at (Webster City) y
at Pocahontas
vs (Iowa Falls-Alden) y
vs Eagle Grove x

- dropping: at Humboldt, vs Webster City, at Iowa Falls-Alden, at Algona, vs Clear Lake (order in which they appeared on schedule)

So with this current schedule, without having put in other non-conference (nc) games, SE would have 5 conf. road games, 6 conf. home games, 2 nc home games, and 1 nc road game for a subtotal of 8 home games and 6 road games; leaving 4 nc road games and 2 nc home games to be picked up. Note that a home game will be dropped due to the 21st game being the proposed conference playoff game (1vs1, 2vs2 etc). That'd make it 10 home games and 10 road games total, plus the playoff.

I agree that it would be a good idea to allow teams to schedule conference opponents, but as non-conference contests to help fill the voids. Most schools, especially in the smaller classes, are pretty hamstrung with room for non-conference games due to the size of their own conferences.
I don't know if you could or would even want to fill all your available spots with conference opponents, but again most teams will probably fill most of them with NCC teams just because it can be hard to find others to play.

I still think that Garrigan and SE will play every year. It could just be that they end up meeting once a year alternating sites as non-conference opponents. Garrigan will still get to have non-conference teams on the schedule despite the "super conference" potentially in the works, and SE will be at the top of the list. There's no reason for them not to be. They still play in football and Garrigan was even 2 classes below SE for a period of time.

I will say that this new format, does open the door even the tiniest bit for the possibility of a St. Edmond-Fort Dodge crosstown rivalry game. They can already square off any time they want as FD takes on Humboldt, Webster City and occasionally Eagle Grove. Now with more games to fill, this would make the prospect of adding FD to the schedule even more enticing. Of course, right now, both schools are fine with where they are at, hence why they haven't played in nearly 4 decades. Both schools tend to root for one another when push comes to shove, and I don't think they want to risk that by playing (even though they do in tennis and baseball).
But needing to fill 6 (well, 5) vacancies certainly would make one more open to the idea of an FD-SE non-conference scrum.

at Clarion-Goldfield x
at Hampton-Dumont x
vs Algona y
at *Manson Northwest Webster (non-conference, used to play on a near-annual basis, something of a rivalry...)
at Clear Lake y
at Eagle Grove x
vs Clarion-Goldfield x
vs Hampton-Dumont x
vs Humboldt y
at Webster City y
vs Iowa Falls-Alden y
vs Eagle Grove x
NCC playoff game

- Again Garrigan and SE meet once a year instead of twice and rotate home and away (or home and home, however you prefer that weird terminology)

- SE and SH have played on an annual basis for several years now (also see Poky)

- Webster City and SE have had some great battles over the years and it'd be a shame if they started only meeting once a year. This is a good, close game (location-wise) for the Gaels to keep on the schedule, even if it'd now be a non-conf. game.

- Note: this was the last non-conf. game I filled in, but this is where it ended up on the schedule. For the sake of argument, I had to decide whether to go with a team from another conference, or stay within the NCC. I figured even with the changing schedule structures, IF-A fans probably wouldn't like the idea of only playing St. Edmond on the road (even if it's just every other year). They love playing SE at home, so why deprive them of that?
ohwell.r191677.gif

- As mentioned, Humboldt is a good, close rival to pick up for a non-conf. game even though they're in the same conference

- ESC and SE have had some heated scrimmages over the years and if it came to needing to fill a ton of vacancies, this would be the opportune time to sign these teams up to settle things on the court for real.
smokin.r191677.gif

- I was gonna propose an SE-E'burg/Storm Lake non-conf. meeting, but I needed to make room for the playoff game, so this is that void in the schedule.

- The Kuemper-SE rivalry resumed in 2011 after an extended hiatus, notably when SE jumped to the NCC and the CYO dropped their basketball tournament. This has been a good game for both teams since they started playing again. The atmospheres for all 6 contests (boys/girls) have been great.

- Poky and SE have played on an annual basis for several years now (also see SH). Worth noting, Pomeroy-Palmer can be included in that mix back when they were separate from Poky. That could be a part of why this non-conference rivalry has lasted over the years.

vs TBA***
at Clarion-Goldfield x
at Hampton-Dumont x
vs (Algona) y
at (TBA)
at (Clear Lake) y
vs South Hamilton
vs (TBA)
at (TBA)
at Eagle Grove x
vs Clarion-Goldfield x
at TBA***
vs Hampton-Dumont x
at (TBA)
vs (Humboldt) y
vs (TBA)
vs Carroll Kuemper
at (Webster City) y
at Pocahontas
vs (Iowa Falls-Alden) y
vs Eagle Grove x

at Clarion-Goldfield x
at Hampton-Dumont x
vs Algona y
at Clear Lake y
at Eagle Grove x
vs Clarion-Goldfield x
vs Hampton-Dumont x
vs Humboldt y
at Webster City y
vs Iowa Falls-Alden y
vs Eagle Grove x
NCC playoff game

ohwell.r191677.gif

smokin.r191677.gif

vs TBA***
at Clarion-Goldfield x
at Hampton-Dumont x
vs (Algona) y
at (TBA)
at (Clear Lake) y
vs South Hamilton
vs (TBA)
at (TBA)
at Eagle Grove x
vs Clarion-Goldfield x
at TBA***
vs Hampton-Dumont x
at (TBA)
vs (Humboldt) y
vs (TBA)
vs Carroll Kuemper
at (Webster City) y
at Pocahontas
vs (Iowa Falls-Alden) y
vs Eagle Grove x

at Clarion-Goldfield x
at Hampton-Dumont x
vs Algona y
at Clear Lake y
at Eagle Grove x
vs Clarion-Goldfield x
vs Hampton-Dumont x
vs Humboldt y
at Webster City y
vs Iowa Falls-Alden y
vs Eagle Grove x
NCC playoff game

ohwell.r191677.gif

smokin.r191677.gif

Should find a way to get MNW and ST. Ed's back playing each other during the season. For the most part it was a good game on the girls side- the boys game was not but I think it would be a better game now.

I know we usually meet up in the tourney and some coaches do not like to play people they might see later but if the game was played in early January I do not think it would matter. We will both probably stay 2A, otherwise it would be an awesome game to put late in the year.

I think they could do it, but like I said above, with the way things are now SE is stuck with the 3 non-conference games and they've had Poky and South Hamilton for years. Plus SE-Kuemper has been a good addition for both schools, so that takes care of SE's non-conf. schedule.

SE would have to drop one of their two longstanding match ups in favor of a rivalry game that's had some testy history in the past. Not that this would in any way cause problems for future meetings, just that it's something both schools are aware of.

I remember some great games over the years when MNW and SE squared off, both boys and girls. It would be a good game to have, especially for the girls, as both are at the top of their respective conferences right now, and if the NCC goes to divisions I think that really makes MNW an easy option to fill one of the several vacancies SE would allegedly have.

I also agree about meeting each other earlier in the season even though we may meet again in the postseason. Of course the Gaels will be facing a non-conf. team in their playoff opener, that they played in the regular season for the second year in a row (SH last year and now most likely Kuemper again). It's not exactly something the schools were planning on before the regional assignments were released, but that's how the Union does business. Poky is still in 2A for now. Maybe we'll open with them if they can put together a nice season and win 16+ games next year.....
tongue.r191677.gif

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:
- The Bulldogs should take care of business here. How many times now have CG and HD met in the postseason recently? I know they opened or met in the 2nd rd last year, correct?
Yes, they met first round last year in Hampton and Clarion won 54-53. CG then knocked off West Fork 47-45 (who had an 18-4 record) only to get trounced by ELC in the semifinal. CG peaked at the right time last year. This year, Hampton has been on a roll as of late and Clarion hasn't played very well in their last several games. That said, it is hard to beat a team 3 times in one season. That may be redundant but it is usually true.

With regards to the NCC divisions, if the conference can add another team to the small division (like South Hamilton, MNW, AGWSR, West Fork, Emmetsburg or whoever) it would work better for scheduling. Some of those teams might find the NCC more attractive with the league divisions.

North Central Conference games tonight.

Clear Lake at Humboldt
Hampton Dumont at Algona
( Hampton Dumont needs a win tonight to be co champs of the NCC)

Standings per Quik Stats

St Edmond, Fort Dodge 16-2 (clinched share of NCC championship)
Hampton Dumont 15-2 ( needs win over Algona to clinch with St Edmonds)
Clear Lake 14-3
Iowa Falls-Alden 12-6
Algona 11-6 Needs win over H-D to tie IF-A for 4th in conference
Humboldt 6-11
Bishop Garrigan, Algona 6-12
Clarion-Goldfield 4-14
Webster City 2-14 (believe they are 2-16, just not updated on quikstats as of today)
Eagle Grove 2-16

Also the time of year to start talking about NCC all conference teams.

Looked like last year there were 7 chosen 1st team and 8 for each of the 2nd and 3rd team.
Last year the top 7 scorers were all first team players.

Using quikstats for conference games only those players would be:

Jamie Peterson Iowa Falls Alden (senior) (1st team last year) 286 pts
Taryn Barz Hampton Dumont (senior) (1st team last year) 280 pts (one game remaining)
Anna Yung Ft Dodge St Edmond (sophomore) 265 pts
Ali Huss Ft Dodge St Edmond (junior) (1st team last year) 247 pts
Jessica Speake Hampton Dumont (freshman) 191 pts (one game remaining)
Jose Sann Clarion Goldfield (junior) 181 pts
Trudy Peterson Clear Lake (junior) 180 pts

The next 5 girls in scoring are
Lauren Friesth (jr) Humboldt
Logan Anderson (jr) Clear Lake
Chelsi Lanus (sr) Algona Garrigan
Hannah Lentcsh (sr) Ft Dodge St Edmond
Lindsay Barnhart (sr) Iowa Falls Alden

Top seven girls in assists:
Jaci Stumpf St Edmond
Anna Yung St Edmond
Megan Loux Clear Lake
Logan Anderson Clear Lake
Madison Thomas Humboldt (1 game remaining)
Jessica Speake Hampton-Dumont (1 game remaining)
Ali Huss St Edmond

Top 7 in steals:
Jamie Peterson Iowa Falls Alden
Jaci Stumpf St Edmond
Ali Huss St Edmond
Anna Yung St Edmond
Kylee Almond Eagle Grove
Jessica Speake Hampton Dumont (1 game remains)
Lindsay Barnhart Iowa Falls Alden

Top 7 in rebounds:
Paige Wragge jr (Hampton Dumont) (1 game remains)
Chelsi Lanus sr (Algona Garrigan)
Ali Huss jr (St Edmond)
Taryn Barz sr (Hampton Dumont) (1 game remains)
Erica Lane sr (Humboldt) (1 game remains)
Hannah Lentcsh sr (St Edmond)
Beth Mork sr (Eagle Grove)
Jamie Peterson sr (Iowa Falls Alden) tie with Beth Mork for 7th

Discussion? Is it fair to assume that St Edmonds and Hampton Dumont may likely get two players each on 1st team based on statistics and possible sharing of championship if HD can defeat Algona tonight. Jamie Peterson from IFA appears to be a lock along with Taryn Barz from H-D (both unanimous last year), Ali Huss (1st team last year) and Anna Yung from Ft Dodge St. Edmond, newcomer Jessica Speake from Hampton Dumont, and possibly Clear Lake's Trudy Peterson or Logan Anderson, or Josie Sann from Clarion who has been injured the last few games of the season, or Chelsi Lanus from Algona Garrigan?

It's going to be a tough year to make 1st team as there are 8 or so that I could see making it. I'll get back on later and give you my low down of how I see these but I know that the coaches only look at conference only stats, not full season stats. That may change some things in the voting that is up here.

Thanks for posting these though today as it kept me distracted while I was in a meeting this afternoon!

Originally posted by house54hoops:

It's going to be a tough year to make 1st team as there are 8 or so that I could see making it. I'll get back on later and give you my low down of how I see these but I know that the coaches only look at conference only stats, not full season stats. That may change some things in the voting that is up here.

Thanks for posting these though today as it kept me distracted while I was in a meeting this afternoon!
Glad I could help you with that meeting.
smile.r191677.gif

The stats I put up were based upon conference only stats from quikstats, just so you know.

Alright so here's who I got for each team. Granted I didn't see all the teams that much but going on statistics only this is who I feel makes each team and reasons for why they will or won't. I feel it will really come down to who did what to torch another coach as far as 1st team votes.

1st Team that I could see
Peterson - IFA
Barz - HD
Yung - SE
Huss - SE
Stumpf - SE
Anderson - CL
*Wragge - HD
*Speake - HD

I do think there will be a 7th first teamer and it will be either Wragge or Speake of HD. I think they split votes and only 1 makes it. I'll take Speake since she's higher in the categories listed although Wragge is the conference leader in rebounds.

2nd Team
Wragge - HD
Sann - CG
Lanus - BG
Lentsch - SE

Here's where I start guessing because statistically, the dominant players are gone.

Lane - Hum
Loux - CL

3rd Team
Steiner - CG
Friesth - Hum
Wiseman - Alg
Yi - Alg
Barnhart - IFA
Condoleon - BG

Looking at the lists I feel like Clear Lake gets somewhat robbed as they had a solid season and play a great team game. As I said before though, if one of these players had a great game against another coach, they may hold them in higher regard.

Hampton Dumont 45
Algona 28

Solid defensive effort from H-D tonight. Really stifled Algona. Didn't get many clean looks at shots as the gaurds for H-D were very active on top of the zone and the bottom of the zone really controlled the boards especially in the 2nd half. Algona did get some 2nd chance points in the first quarter but not much after that.

Conference co-champs with Ft Dodge St Edmond. First since 2005-2006 season. Congratulations to Hampton Dumont for a very solid season.

Hampton Dumont 45
Algona 28

Solid defensive effort from H-D tonight. Algona really struggled to score vs the 2-3 zone. The guards up top were very active and really bothered the shooters for Algona. The bottom of the zone really rebounded well especially in the 2nd half and Algona got very few 2nd chances.

Hampton Dumont gains their first NCC championship since 2005-2006 season. Congratualtions to the Bulldogs on an excellent season.

After a little review and the final standings:

Hampton Dumont 16-2
Ft Dodge St Edmond 16-2
Clear Lake 15-3
IF-Alden 12-6
Algona 11-7
Humboldt 6-12
Algona Garrigan 6-12
Clarion Goldfield 4-14
Webster City 2-16
Eagle Grove 2-16

My picks for NCC all conf teams (discussion)
I am going with 2 girls from each of the top 3 teams based upon their overall dominance in the conference.

First Team
Taryn Barz (H-D) dominant post player in the conference (unanimous in my opinion)
Jamie Peterson (IF-A) probably best overall player in the NCC (unanimous in my opinion)
Anna Yung (St Eds) wellrounded overall player only a sophomore
Ali Huss (St Eds) another well rounded St Eds player (jr) will be back next year and St Eds will be early favorite
Jessica Speake (H-D) freshman for H-D big contribution scoring, passing, defense and ball handling, high energy
Logan Anderson (Clear Lake) one of big contributors for Lions, good ball handler, distributor, shooter
Trudy Peterson (Clear Lake) may be best 3 pt shooter in NCC

Second Team
Paige Wragge (H-D) most dominant rebounder 2nd straight year for Dogs. Guess what, back for another next year.
Jossie Sann (C-G) leading scorer for Clarion
Hannah Lentcsh (St. Eds) another big contributor for the Gaels
Chelsi Lanus (Garrigan) big rebounder and scorer for golden bears
Lauren Friesth (Humboldt) leading scorer for Humboldt
Tangy Wiseman (Algona) leading scorer for Algona
Jaci Stumpf (St Eds) assists, steals and scores for St Eds
Megan Loux (Clear Lake) senior, led team in assists and steals

Third team
Erica Lane (Humboldt) sr
Bailey Kibsgaard (Clear Lake) jr
Jordan Prantner (Hampton-Dumont) fresh
Paige Yi (Algona) senior