ADVERTISEMENT

NCC 2012-13 basketball

Regional scores of note from the last couple of days:

West Bend-Mallard 58, Bishop Garrigan 42
(Golden Bears finish 8-15 overall)

West Fork 54, Eagle Grove 39
(Eagles finish 3-19 overall)

West Fork advances to face Manson-NW in the 2nd round.

Carroll Kuemper 67, Prairie Valley 41

Kuemper advances to face St. Edmond in the 2nd round.

Estherville-Lincoln Central 45, Algona 32
(Bulldogs finish 13-9 overall)

E-LC advances to face the winner of C-G/H-D

Iowa Falls-Alden 47, Roland-Story 43

advances to face Nevada, who beat South Hardin. 60-29.

Hampton-Dumont 64, Clarion-Goldfield 34

H-D played aggressive defense with their press. It will be interesting to see what happens when they play ELC.

What happened in Kuemper vs St. Edmond game? Saw that Kuemper won by ten.

Free throws down the stretch and the Gaels threw up some quick desperation threes that didn't go in.

Gaels led by 2 going into the 4th, but some key turnovers and tough shots allowed Kuemper to regain the lead.

I heard that Kuemper only made something like 6 FGs in the 2nd half. I believe at least 3 of those were 3s. They led 29-23 at half. Kuemper scored 30 pts in the 4th qtr with the majority of them coming on FTs. The Gaels made more total FGs; 19 to 15.

The big difference though between this game and the last was that Kuemper was making their shots in big stretches. From about midway through the 1st until late in the 2nd, Kuemper's first shot attempt on each possession went in. They went 31-35 from the FT line in the game.

The Gaels, meanwhile, struggled particularly in the 1st qtr to get a shot to drop. They had good looks but they'd hit the rim and roll out or the shot would come from a tougher angle than it needed to. But to the girls' credit they fought back and had the lead a number of times until Kuemper's FT shooting proved to be too much.

I think Kuemper will beat Panorama if they continue to shoot the ball as well as they have been. Not to mention Panorama is coming into Ogden, who they just beat, so the officials will call it accordingly.
tongue.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/13 1:38 AM by DarkThunder#61

Feel bad for Coach Messerly and the Gaels- boy they put together some great regular seasons but things just doh't fall their way in the tourney.
I know they only lose one senior so obviously the future is bright for the team and the program.
I know they work really hard as coaches and players in the off-season- another tough loss in the tourney.

A couple of halftime score updates..

ELC 30, Hampton-Dumont 18

Iowa Falls-Alden 16, Nevada 14

Nevada 44, Iowa Falls-Alden 40
ELC and Nevada will play at Garner on Saturday, I believe.

Charles City beat Decorah 60-45 and will now play Clear Lake for an interesting rematch.

Humboldt 42, Webster City 29
Humboldt will play at Spencer next round.

as far as I know thats it, Humboldt made it the farthest oddly enough but that has a large part to do with how that class is set up and the lack of games played to get to that point.

I think it will be about the same as this past year. SE returns everyone except Lentsch, although she was certainly a big factor inside on both ends of the court. They have a couple girls who will have to fill her shoes.

H-D is gonna take a hit losing Barz, but they were also led by two talented freshmen who should be able to help keep them in the mix, along with Wragge who will be a senior.

Algona returns Wiseman and Strohman, but will need to replace a number of seniors. Good news is their lower grades are pretty solid (and tall).

And while I'm on that it seems like a number of teams across the conference will be adding depth in the coming years with some solid younger players, along with some taller athletes to make things that much tougher for everyone to compete with. I think overall in the next couple of years we're gonna see the conference as a whole start to improve a bit. Yeah we'll still all beat each other up, but it will hopefully begin to show come tournament time in the future.

That's something the boys side has benefitted from for a number of years, although most of the 3A teams keep getting taken out by Waverly-Shell Rock every year.....(even when they're favored!)

Garrigan should improve somewhat as they return 3 of their top 4.

Clarion-Goldfield is still gonna be up-and-down but they'll be led by Sann who should be among the top players in the conference next year.

Clear Lake will probably be the strongest contender to oppose St. Eds next year as they return their top 3 scorers. They do lose 3 of their top 7 players but usually have good enough depth to make up for it.

Humboldt and Webster City are continuing to improve and should be better next year, but they may still be another year or two away from being able to make a jump back into the middle of the conference.

The Cadets will probably take the biggest hit as they graduate 8 seniors. Ites and Wilbholm will provide the spark for IF-A, but only one other player returns that has scored any points in a varsity game.

Lastly, Eagle Grove will be an interesting case to watch over the next few years. They graduate only 3 seniors, although they were 3 of their top 6, but their younger girls are gaining a lot of experience and they've been as competitive in some games as they've been in years. They almost upset West Hancock at the start of the season and got a nice win over CWL in their regular season finale, 70-37. A game like that can really serve as a confidence booster for a team, and program, that's fallen on hard times like they have.
They also opted to move all their freshmen to JV/varsity so those girls got plenty of upper level experience this year, which should only serve to help them in the future.

I'm not saying "look out for EG to be a contender in 2 years!", but they're doing some good things to try and get their program turned around and I certainly think they'll improve on their 3-19 mark next year.

2012-13 NORTH CENTRAL CONFERENCE

GIRLS BASKETBALL ALL-CONFERENCE TEAMS

FIRST TEAM

Player Grade School

*Taryn Barz Sr. Hampton-Dumont

*Jamie Peterson Sr. Iowa Falls-Alden

*Logan Anderson Jr. Clear Lake

*Alli Huss Jr. St. Edmond

*Anna Yung So. St. Edmond

Trudy Peterson Jr. Clear Lake

Tangy Wiseman Jr. Algona

* ? denotes unanimous selections

SECOND TEAM

Player Grade School

Erica Lane Sr. Humboldt

Chelsi Lanus Sr. Bishop Garrigan

Megan Loux Sr. Clear Lake

Paige Yi Sr. Algona

Jossie Sann Jr. Clarion-Goldfield

Jaci Stumpf So. St. Edmond

Jessica Speake Fr. Hampton-Dumont

THIRD TEAM

Player Grade School

Lindsay Barnhart Sr. Iowa Falls-Alden

Kristen Hewett Sr. Clear Lake

Hannah Lentsch Sr. St. Edmond

Stephanie Steiner Sr. Clarion-Goldfield

Bailey Kibsgaard Jr. Clear Lake

Lauren Friesth Jr. Humboldt

Paige Wragge Jr. Hampton-Dumont

Perfect timing Vikesfan! I was just getting on here to see if anyone had the list ready with the all conference players.

Originally posted by vikesfan13147:

2012-13 NORTH CENTRAL CONFERENCE

GIRLS BASKETBALL ALL-CONFERENCE TEAMS

FIRST TEAM

Player Grade School

*Taryn Barz Sr. Hampton-Dumont

*Jamie Peterson Sr. Iowa Falls-Alden

*Logan Anderson Jr. Clear Lake

*Alli Huss Jr. St. Edmond

*Anna Yung So. St. Edmond

Trudy Peterson Jr. Clear Lake

Tangy Wiseman Jr. Algona

* ? denotes unanimous selections

SECOND TEAM

Player Grade School

Erica Lane Sr. Humboldt

Chelsi Lanus Sr. Bishop Garrigan

Megan Loux Sr. Clear Lake

Paige Yi Sr. Algona

Jossie Sann Jr. Clarion-Goldfield

Jaci Stumpf So. St. Edmond

Jessica Speake Fr. Hampton-Dumont

THIRD TEAM

Player Grade School

Lindsay Barnhart Sr. Iowa Falls-Alden

Kristen Hewett Sr. Clear Lake

Hannah Lentsch Sr. St. Edmond

Stephanie Steiner Sr. Clarion-Goldfield

Bailey Kibsgaard Jr. Clear Lake

Lauren Friesth Jr. Humboldt

Paige Wragge Jr. Hampton-Dumont

I have a few issues with the selections. How is it that Clear Lake (3rd in NCC) gets 5 players on the all NCC team, Co Champ of the NCC Fort Dodge StEdmond only gets 4 and worst of all Co Champ of the NCC only gets 3. Also of that 3 they only get one first team member. JEssica Speake easily deserved to be a first team selection for Hampton Dumont. Her stats alone puts her on that team ahead of Tangy Wiseman in every category. That is a large error on the coaches part. Makes me wonder if the NCC coaches have any respect for coach Chad Johnson at H-D with a slight like that. THey also slighted Paige Wragge who easily deserved to be 2nd team all NCC. She was the dominant rebounder in the conference two years running. Another member who got shut out was Jordan Prantner for H-D. She deserved to be a 3rd team selection as a freshman.

I
have a few issues with the selections. How is it that Clear Lake (3rd
in NCC) gets 5 players on the all NCC team, Co Champ of the NCC Fort
Dodge StEdmond only gets 4 and worst of all Co Champ of the NCC only
gets 3. Also of that 3 they only get one first team member. JEssica
Speake easily deserved to be a first team selection for Hampton Dumont.
Her stats alone puts her on that team ahead of Tangy Wiseman in every
category. That is a large error on the coaches part. Makes me wonder
if the NCC coaches have any respect for coach Chad Johnson at H-D with a
slight like that. THey also slighted Paige Wragge who easily deserved
to be 2nd team all NCC. She was the dominant rebounder in the
conference two years running. Another member who got shut out was
Jordan Prantner for H-D. She deserved to be a 3rd team selection as a
freshman.

I agree there were some weird things about the all conference teams, such as Clear Lake getting all 5 starters on, but other than the make up of each team, I feel the best players made one of the teams.

My only thoughts about Clear Lake getting all 5 on would be that they were the most balanced team in the conference and their starters all contributed something to the overall team game. On the H-D players, the only arguments against them would be being young (Speake), which hasn't stopped coaches from picking them before, or that they only dominated one stat column (Wragge).

The most surprising was Wiseman on the 1st team. I think she is a good player but statistically, it's not even close. Here is where I thought Stumpf should be. Give me a point guard who is 1st in assists and 2nd in steals any day. The only argument I could imagine for Tangy was that the she may have guarded the best players on the best teams, and defensively she did well. I honestly never saw her play this year so I can't say that for sure.

Also, the coaches nominate their own players so a lot can be said for how they go about trying to get their player on a specific team. Sometimes the argument isn't valid when the time comes to some coaches.

HMMMM- politics in an all-conference meeting- say it isn't so. Obviously you get coaches scratching each others backs in those meetings. Most coaches could just as well pick those teams before the season starts and be done with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT