ADVERTISEMENT

NCC 11-12

1) St. Eds- return top pitcher and bulk of lineup, they always know how to win
2) Algona- return top pitcher/hitters and have maturing talent, has a good infield
3) Clear Lake- have the bats but do they have the pitching
4) Garrigan- will win while Vaske is on the mound
5) Hampton- return some power hitters and decent pitchers
6) Iowa Falls- could give the favorites a scare
7) Humboldt- have decent hitters back but not very talented otherwise
8) Webster City- lost best pitcher, but have some good athletes
9) Eagle Grove- have enough experienced underclassmen to keep them out of last place
10) Clarion- lost top pithcer and hitter, not really a threat

I will agree with Clone on most points with a couple exceptions - St. Eds and Clear Lake will once again battle for the top spot as both return a great nucleus from a season ago. Don't see Algona in the mix although Collison will have them ready to play each night. Garrigan will be up there and Iowa Falls and Humboldt should also be in the top 5. Hampton lost a few key players and jr. -sr. class is down. Don't know much about Webster other than they have a great class of seniors but how many play baseball besides Davis? The other key is with a senior dominated league, how many are going on to play fb or bball in college and will concentrate on camps this summer and not go out for baseball ? just my opinion.

When Vaske is pitching for Garrigan and Flattery pitches for St. Eds - they are the favorites. Depth at pitching for those two teams after that is questionable. I haven't seen enough of the younger kids to know if they have some good young pitchers to step in. I also think Algona can be in the mix along with I-FA and Humboldt.

I will take Garrigan to take the NCC. Garrigan is a baseball school and return 8 starters from a year ago. If they can get some help pitching along side of Vaske, it could be a very special year for the Bears. Garrigan will have some losses along the year, but come tournament time, I think this could be a title contender.

In order for Garrigan to even reach state- they must get past MC Newman and that has been their biggest hurdle for some time. Will agree that Vaske is tough when on the mound but the Bears need to find more than one arm. Don't crown 'em yet.

Results from Monday:

#2 (3A) Clear Lake 10 #10 (3A) Charles City 6
#10 (1A) Garrigan 8 Estherville-Lincoln Central 6
#10 (1A) Garrigan 4 Estherville-Lincoln Central 2
Algona 12 Pocahontas Area/Pomeroy-Palmer 0 (5)
Clarion-Goldfield 10 West Hancock 0
Hampton-Dumont 5 Belmond-Klemme 2
St Eds 8 NSKAR 0

Results from Tuesday:
#7 (1A) Newman Catholic 4 #2 (3A) Clear Lake 3
#7 (1A) Newman Catholic 5 #2 (3A) Clear Lake 1
Emmetsburg 9 #10 (1A) Garrigan 6
Clarion-Goldfield 6 Garner-Hayfield/Ventura 4
Forest City 8 Hampton-Dumont 7

Originally posted by Garrigan04:
I will take Garrigan to take the NCC. Garrigan is a baseball school and return 8 starters from a year ago. If they can get some help pitching along side of Vaske, it could be a very special year for the Bears. Garrigan will have some losses along the year, but come tournament time, I think this could be a title contender.

Ha! How unusual you pick Garrigan. Since when is Garrigan a baseball school?

Results from Wednesday:
Algona 11 Emmetsburg 6 (8)
Garrigan 13 North Iowa 9
North Iowa 5 Garrigan 3
Humboldt 13 Southeast Grand/Webster-Grand/Burnside 1

Originally posted by hawks127:
Originally posted by Garrigan04:

Ha! How unusual you pick Garrigan. Since when is Garrigan a baseball school?
NCC Champs in
with traditional finishes in the top half of the conference despite being the smallest school. In addition to conference titles there are plenty of district championships to go with it. Gene Meister built a solid program and Rob fields a solid team each year even when they aren't the most talented players. Underachievement is rare and that's what impresses me the most about what the Meisters have been able to do.

Of course as a former player I'm a bit biased but I still follow the program pretty closely and some of the teams recently haven't been the heaviest on talent but they still win baseball games and that's what counts.

Over the past 10-12 years most seasons have been ended by a team which went to the State Tournament and played well so it isn't completely out of line to say BGHS is a baseball school. In Class 1A probably one of the top 15 programs recently. Just have the best one 60 miles away. Otherwise seasons have ended:
2001: Eagle Grove in district final?
2002: Eagle Grove (District Champs)
2003: Sioux Central (District Champs?)
2004: Emmetsburg
2005: Clarion-Goldfield (arguably the worst team of this list)
2006: St. Ansgar (district champs)
2007: North Sentral Kossuth
2008: North Sentral Kossuth
2009: Newman Catholic (district champs)
2010: Newman Catholic (district champs)
2011: Newman Catholic
with a few of those teams making appearances in or winning the state championship.

So yeah, I think it's safe to say BGHS is a baseball school with a very good program. It just so happens that some of the best baseball programs in recent history (NSK/Newman) reside in close proximity. I would venture a guess BGHS will continue to compete at a high level as long as Coach Meister (Rob) sticks around.

Garrigan does have a strong baseball history. I didn't know how many NCC titles they had before you listed them.

I remember watching some of the teams including Garrigan in the late 90s to early '00s and that was perhaps some of the best collection of talent the conference has ever seen.

Garrigan seems to kinda be in the same predicament that SE was in for a few years with Cherokee in the same substate. Both teams had good talent, but I believe both those Cherokee teams went on to win state.

The very next year, SE didn't have to face Cherokee to get to state and went on to win their first title (Beckman surprised a few people when they knocked off Cherokee to get to the finals).

I suppose that is how 1A seems to work out with geography factored in and all but it's odd that Newman has ended Garrigan's season the last 3 years in a row. Plus a lot of people seem to expect them to be in the same district/substate again this year. Is that correct?

Also while I'm here, I happened to see St. Ed's schedule in the paper. They have a fairly challenging slate of games this year outside the conference.

They already took on a solid 1A NSK on the road winning 8-1. (in 8 innings...)

They also have the always tough CYO tournament, they face Dyersville Beckman and Don Bosco in the Dowling Invite and they got their annual cross-street rival Fort Dodge near the end of the season.

Clear Lake gets back in the win column with a 8-2 win over Charles City in the consolation game of the Lou Koenigsfield Classic. Gavin Sheakley threw a one hitter for the Lions, who next play on Tuesday at North Union (NSKAR).

Friday nite in Fort Dodge, Webster City vs. St. Eds. I think I saw the worst call ever by an umpire at 3rd base with the game on the line. With the game tied 2-2 in the bottom of the 7th, with 2 out the base runner was clearly out by 2 steps at 3rd after the runner attempted to go from first to third on a passed ball. What did the St. Eds fans see?

I wasn't at the game, but he looked pretty safe to me. Great call by the umpire.
smokin.gif

Gaels defeat Garner-Hayfield and West Marshall at the Patterson Field Tournament today. SE topped G-H 12-0 in 5 innings and came back from a 3-0 deficit to knock off West Marshall, 7-3.

Next up is tomorrow at Bishop Garrigan.

What a neat field Patterson is. Shade everywhere, great atmosphere for a game. That facility has character. Loved it. Glad we had the opportunity to play there. Surprised more HS games aren't held there.

WM had SE's on the ropes. WM's pitcher had SE's no hit with 2 outs in the 5th and a 3-0 lead and were nearly out of the inning with the lead on a 3rd strike that could have gone either way but was called a ball then the hitter was either walked or got a hit. Not to mention a bang bang play at the plate as well. SE had a 4-3 lead going into the 7th. Very entertaining game.

N. Flattery pitched a nice 4 innings of relief. SE's has a nice team with all their best athletes out for BB. Kind of nice to see. SE's simply had more depth (WM's bottom 4 hitters were something like 0-12 with 10 k's) and experience from top to bottom.

It'll be interesting to see both teams progress throughout the season.
This post was edited on 5/29 12:03 PM by terrehawk

Iowa Falls beat South Hamilton 11-1 in other action tonight. We should know more about Garrigan after this week, playing the top two teams in the conference in St Eds. and Clear Lake and their crosstown rival Algona and playing in the Carroll tourney this weekend. This is the week they need to show their pitching depth behind Vaske, who most likely be very busy.

Patterson has been there for many years.

Patterson Field and the new adjacent field are where the Fort Dodge Rec (YMCA) has their Teener Baseball League throughout the summer.

I think it'd be neat if they could find a way to get a few more teams in this tournament. It's a nice little one-day tourney for the teams and fans, considering it has no lights. But as you were saying, it'd be nice if there were more games there too. More can be better.

How did West Marshall look as a team? I know enough about St. Ed's to know they are always solid.

Some good games on tap for tonight:
St. Eds @ Garrigan
Hampton-Dumont @ Clarion-Goldfield
Humboldt @ Eagle Grove
Clear Lake @ North Union (NSKAR)

Originally posted by j6694:
How did West Marshall look as a team? I know enough about St. Ed's to know they are always solid.
From what I've heard they don't have as many older kids out as they could. Neither of the Ferch brothers went out this year, I believe.

Beals was a solid pitcher. Good mix of stuff. Also their lead-off man. They do have some athletes so that helps. Not many power hitters, though they have a couple who can hit.
I've heard that they're often a mix of youth and experience because of the kids they have out each year.
Between the two pitchers and the catcher, they had a lot of passed balls and wild pitches, something that gets corrected with experience.

Originally posted by vikesfan13146:
Iowa Falls beat South Hamilton 11-1 in other action tonight. We should know more about Garrigan after this week, playing the top two teams in the conference in St Eds. and Clear Lake and their crosstown rival Algona and playing in the Carroll tourney this weekend. This is the week they need to show their pitching depth behind Vaske, who most likely be very busy.
I have my doubts. Unless something has changed, there's a strict limit on Vaske's usage. If he starts Monday he'll be ready to go after a save on Thursday or Friday but probably won't start.

I'd be shocked if he pitches at CYO as that's normally when the JV pitchers or non-conference pitchers get their shot. The top 3 normally start all the conference games and then relievers as needed (in a close game, you might see one of the other top guys, in a blowout they won't be used). Even when they've had depth they've never really gone after a CYO title (and this coming from the person who was penciled into CYO starts for 3 years).

In short, non-conference games are basically used to get guys ready for the future. The guys who pitch conference games won't be used unless in a save situation or something along those lines.

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:
Originally posted by j6694:
From what I've heard they don't have as many older kids out as they could. Neither of the Ferch brothers went out this year, I believe.

Beals was a solid pitcher. Good mix of stuff. Also their lead-off man. They do have some athletes so that helps. Not many power hitters, though they have a couple who can hit.
I've heard that they're often a mix of youth and experience because of the kids they have out each year.
Between the two pitchers and the catcher, they had a lot of passed balls and wild pitches, something that gets corrected with experience.

Yeah, WM has one kid playing baseball that has been All Conference/state in another sport in HS. It's fun to think how good WM could be if these other 8 or 9 athletes that used to play were still out. Just off the top of my head I count 4 All state and at least 7 all conference kids total from other sports that used to but no longer play that should be playing.

Comparably, this would be like FDSE only having Clark go out, for example, and guys like both Flattery's and Kolacia not going out. (have to throw a couple others off there too) FDSE would be a much different team.

You play with what you have and this has allowed the other kids that are good athletes in their own right as well to get experience but depth is always an issue in situations like this. The positive is that all these kids really enjoy baseball and like being there. The last 2 years they've only had a couple contributing seniors on each team and that's good for playing time for younger kids but tough to compete at a higher level consistently. (WM still won the conference in baseball last season with only 1 loss)

Regarding the passed balls. Unfortunately, WM's regular catcher (1st year starter) played the first game of the season but has been out since and will be for a few more games. He will help the most offensively which is where they REALLY need the most help. They've been playing a freshman catcher that has done a nice job but he's still a freshman making freshman mistakes at times. You can see him improving each game and getting more confident though. Tough kid that works hard. Actually had the game winning hit tonight. I'm sure the regular guy would have some mistakes as well but he is a junior so you'd hope to gain something back there.

WM's strength is their pitching and primarily their infield defense. Offensively, they have some speed but the lower half of the line up is young and will struggle at the plate.
This post was edited on 5/29 11:51 PM by terrehawk

I agree and that's about what I gathered, terrehawk.

When I saw West Marshall pull up, I was expecting to see either or both the Ferch brothers with the team (since they're in every other major sport), but was surprised when they weren't.

The best you can do is work with what you got, and like you said, they have done pretty well regardless.

Scores from Tuesday:
Clear Lake 8 North Union (NSKAR) 6
Garrigan 5 St. Eds 3
Hampton-Dumont 13 Clarion-Goldfield 5

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT