ADVERTISEMENT

My son graduated HS tonight

BamaFan1137

All District
Nov 5, 2001
Very proud of him. He's more like his mom in that he is reserved, analytical and just an incredibly sweet kid...or man. Damn, I'm not used to that yet. He listens twice as much as he speaks, if not more, so truly unlike dad.

He also probably understands decimal points and commas 1,00% better than his old man. But he hit the lottery and looks just like me, lol.

Very proud of him. He's more like his mom in that he is reserved, analytical and just an incredibly sweet kid...or man. Damn, I'm not used to that yet. He listens twice as much as he speaks, if not more, so truly unlike dad.

He also probably understands decimal points and commas 1,00% better than his old man. But he hit the lottery and looks just like me, lol.
Congrats. Sounds like a good kid. You should probably steer him to Georgia so he can get a top notch education.

Congrats. Sounds like a good kid. You should probably steer him to Georgia so he can get a top notch education.

He wants to become an Air Traffic Controller. 40 hours a week making $77k out of the gate and then double or triple that within 3 to 5 years. Mandatory FAA retirement at age 56 at 100% of your highest 3 year average salary.

After that you can work for private towers or companies that subcontract with the FAA and they pay more.

Like I said, smart kid.

He wants to become an Air Traffic Controller. 40 hours a week making $77k out of the gate and then double or triple that within 3 to 5 years. Mandatory FAA retirement at age 56 at 100% of your highest 3 year average salary.

After that you can work for private towers or companies that subcontract with the FAA and they pay more.

Like I said, smart kid.
That’s awesome. It’s a pretty high stress job I would imagine. But retiring at that age with that kind of retirement pay is definitely appealing

Reactions: BamaFan1137

Congratulations to him! Based on the rest of the posts in this thread, he has actual goals, so I'm proud for him. You and your husband have done a great job, but I'm glad he lived with his mom.

Last edited:
Like I said, smart kid.
Buddy of mine in Tallahassee is/was an ATC... he was grandfathered in and able to retire at 60 (I think). I came across this blurb reading up on it...

It is not surprising that air traffic controllers have to retire early. After all, the job requires excellent concentration and decision-making, the ability to multi-task, and good memory and visual skills. While these skills do not disappear with age - and of course, everyone is different - it is generally agreed that abilities decrease with age.

Indeed, there is medical support for this accepted understanding. For example, a 2012 study by the British Medical Journal noted that the brain's capacity for memory (✔️), reasoning (✔️✔️), and comprehension (✔️✔️✔️) skills can start to deteriorate from age 45.

Made me think of our pal gator... he checks all 3 boxes. Sad.

Last edited:

Per chance did he go to Marbury HS. My grandson graduated last night from there.

Buddy of mine in Tallahassee is/was an ATC... he was grandfathered in and able to retire at 60 (I think). I came across this blurb reading up on it...

It is not surprising that air traffic controllers have to retire early. After all, the job requires excellent concentration and decision-making, the ability to multi-task, and good memory and visual skills. While these skills do not disappear with age - and of course, everyone is different - it is generally agreed that abilities decrease with age.

Indeed, there is medical support for this accepted understanding. For example, a 2012 study by the British Medical Journal noted that the brain's capacity for memory (✔️), reasoning (✔️✔️), and comprehension (✔️✔️✔️) skills can start to deteriorate from age 45.

Made me think of our pal gator... he checks all 3 boxes. Sad.

I've been looking into it and I'm sure some ATC jobs are stressful but, as far as I can tell, the job is broken up into 3 categories.

In the tower- responsible for planes on the actual tarmac.

In the tower responsible for planes taking off and landing (but those two are split between two groups in a busy airport).

In something like a call center and they are responsible for planes mid-flight in between airports.

They're VERY understaffed at the moment so I'm sure that makes it tougher.

In puddle jumper airport towers it's usually an ATC and a supervisor in charge of the tarmac, take-offs and landings. But there's almost never anything going on at these airports.

Like I said, smart kid.
Had a classmate do the same. Seems those guys are a particular breed. But a smart move imo. The stress must be incredible.

ATC is a stressful job, just ask him…

maxresdefault.jpg

Congrats! Great kids go to Auburn University. I know he will prosper and excel at Auburn!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT