ADVERTISEMENT

MVC 2013 Lookahead

loco60

Freshman
Sep 15, 2010

Week 1 - Look for CF to muscle past ICH, and play an entire game. Look for a key game between CRW and CRK, with the new juniors to be mined for CRW and CRK possessing of a strong team, but perhaps another slow start. DS and WW tussle and look for the Wahawks to be ready for the Rams. The Rams are looking to build upon last year with many returnees, but this was an OT game last year. CRP and CRJ square off, CRP having lost an accomplished senior class and CRJ trying, still, to build a program. ICW and LM should be an entertaining game. They are coming off "opposite" seasons, but ICW lost many weapons and LM has a lot of speed. WE and DW square off, and I'm going to give a slight edge to the Eagles. CRX is at DH, with DH wanting to pull an upset at the newly renovated Dalziell Field. DH will have to play very well and the new field will have to provide some bounces.
Week 2 - CRJ travels to CRX after opening with CRP. Gotta figure the Saints will handle it and home. LM and DS square off, with a triple overtime from last year as a motivator. It is the DS kids seasoned by a year of winning versus the LM kids seasoned by a year of losing. I expect this game to be fast and hard hitting. ICH clicks against WW. ICW and CRW "bring it" in a game that showcases one or both teams. Potentially a classic! DH and DW have a "mean" rematch...look for lots of emotion on the field after last years injuries for DW. CF vs WE cements CR as a division contender with a second solid game, versus last years squeaker. CRK will want to dominate the ground against CRP while CRP wants a shootout. Too early in the season for both teams, each of whom gelled in the second half of the season last year.
Week 3 - ICW and CRK square off in what should be another great matchup. The Trojans will be starting to get their pace and CRK may be swaggering in unbeaten (or winless, depending on if they can start the season better than previous years). CRX and CRP meet and CRX appears to have more advantages than last year when they won two against the Hawks. But that's just a challenge for CRP. ICH continues to look to be of good form with a solid win against WE. DS versus DW is now a "big game" as the title for Dubuque may be on the line with an Eagles win and DS has to establish momentum to be a contender. CF hosts CRW, probably their toughest test thus far if CRW juniors are well on their way to becoming seniors. If not, look for CF to focus on a complete game pounding. WW and LM, I favor LM, but not with good reason. I like the WW program. CRJ squares of with DH, with the Mustangs remembering last year's loss big time.
Week 4 - CF takes care of business against WW. DS and CRK square off, you have to believe this will be a big game if one of them is unscathed to this point. LM and CRW are poised to add another classic to their recent impressive list. ICW and CRP might match up evenly or might be going different directions...I have no clue. CRX at DW in the MVC Catholic Bowl. The Eagles give the Saints some scares, but Saints prevail. ICH is predictable CRJ and WE vs DH is a tussle.
Week 5 - ICW and DS square off, in different circumstances than last year. Might still be the same result if ICW is clicking. CRK host CRX in a game, on paper (or on a computer screen), that can be very close. This might turn on which team worked harder in the off-season and whether or not injuries are adding up. ICH handles DH, but DH improving. WE and CRJ are two different styles, look for WE to win out. CRW has a critical matchup with WW, you pick 'em. CF solidly defeats LM.
Week 6 - CRW heads to CRX, those CRW juniors will be playing like seniors after this night at Saints field. This was a difficult game for CRX last year and CRW's athleticism may stretch things again. ICW rolls against DH, pointing to the playoffs. ICH plays at DS...last year's home shutout is still bugging the Little Hawks. Could be that DS has delivered on their hopes thus far and ICH has failed to rebound from last season, but I think it will be a slugfest and the harder the hitting the more I favor ICH. WW gets back at WE for last year's overtime loss. CRK puts away CRJ. Look for LM vs DW to be a high scoring affair, provided DW is healthy. CF host CRP, with the Tigers not wanting anything like last year's tale of two halves.
Week 7 - CRK defeats WE, think playoffs. CRW defeats CRJ, staying on the playoff bubble. CRP throttles DW, looking to finish strong like 2012. DS defeats DH, not unexpected, but certainly not sure if DS is undefeated, .500 or other going into this game. CRX and WW strap it on at Central Junior High, with the Saints having the upper had. CRP continues to surge against LM, but the outcome isn't certain until late. And in the Battle of the Boot, ICW and ICH...it's a pick 'em.
Week 8 - The Tigers and the Saints at CRX. Two unbeatens. Who's healthy, who's not will have a huge impact on this game. If all are healthy, look for Saints to handle the Tigers at home. ICW throttles CRJ. DS is ready for WE this year. CRK runs past DH, eyeing the post-season yet again. LM takes a hit from ICH, setting up a bunch of possibilities for Week 9. CRP and CRW in a big contest for playoff positioning. WW versus DW, one of these two teams will be playing with confidence, the other will be playing out the season.
Week 9 - CRK beats ICH. LM hosts CRX, and CRX is ready to finish out. ICW solidly beats the WE team. CRW shuts down DW. CF wins DH. DS hammers CRJ to finish the regular season. CRP beats a solid WW team for a better playoff spot.
Post-Season Game 1 - Look for CF, CRX, CRK and DS to advance. CRP, CRW, ICH and ICW depend on matchups.
Post-Season Game 2 - Cream rises...CF, CRX, CRK and one other continue to advance.
Quarterfinals - CF plays a MAC team. CRX plays a MVC team.
Semifinals - CF versus CRX in the UNIDome. Replay of week 8.
Finals - WDMD versus CRX. Officiating team works hard to be anonymous.

But here are the really solid predictions for 2013:
A. Each team will have 9 regular season games.
B. Offense, Defense and Special Teams Play will be a key.
C. Eligibility and Injury will impact teams
D. The most successful teams are conditioning in the off-season.

Nice write up of the season. However you left a key out. E. The team that scores the most points in the game will win.... :)

Good preview, LOCO. I agree that CR Xavier and Cedar Falls will be the cream of the field in the MVC, with IC West close behind-- and maybe not behind at all. After that, IC, CR Wash, Dub. Senior, CRK, Prairie and Linn-Mar will fight for the playoff spots and the bottom five will be the squads I haven't mentioned, with Dub. Hempstead the best of that bunch, as last year was an aberrancy with a new coach and too many injuries to count. The Mustangs will surprise several squads this fall.

I agree but in this order:

1. Team that scores most points, makes fewer mistakes, fewer players on both sides of the ball, adjusts to opponents best(better coaching).
2. Avoids injury and eligibility issues
3. Summer training
4. 9 games/season??? 1st playoff game isn't necessary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT