ADVERTISEMENT

Mt Pleasant Baseball

3afootballrocks

Freshman
Oct 21, 2006
On Tuesday May 22nd the Panthers will be hosting Assumption. Any thoughts on how this will turn out?

I can tell you that the Panthers bring back their most productive pitcher from last year in Junior Conner Shull who finished his Sophomore year with a 9-1 record and also return their entire infield with the exception of 3rd baseman Henry Krieger-Coble. Henry will be tough to replace but senior Tanner Stutzman should be able to fill that spot and be productive. The Panthers do have some talented pitching but overall are young. The big question mark for the Panthers as I see right now will be a very inexperienced group of outfielders. They do return 1 starter from last year in Ryan Schenk out in left field but Mt P will have no other outfielders with any varsity experience. Although a young team I believe they will be able to hang in there with Assumption as I believe they graduated alot of starters.
This post was edited on 5/16 4:25 PM by 3afootballrocks

Yes, Cameron Engberg missed last season with a shoulder injury and it appears he wont be throwing this year either. Its really too bad that he will miss out on throwing his senior year. Very talented young man and a great kid as well. This is for sure a hit to the Mt P pitching staff so a few of the younger kids will have to step up however I still believe they have enough pitching to contend for the confernce title.

Yes, I think Washington will be tough as well. With the Steele kid anchoring that pitching staff they will be tough to beat and always seem to swing it pretty well.

After reading last nights paper it looks like Washington lost 7 Sr. from last years team and probably will be predicted to finish 4th in the conference this year behind MtP.,Fairfield and Ft.Madison.

I would be surprised if Washington were to fall that far. Steele is a very good pitcher and if I recall they had some solid underclassmen coming back. I think there was a Redlinger kid that was pretty darn good and a Knupp that was tough. I was also thinking they had a soph pitcher that was a lefty that played alot of tourney ball as a younger kid. Add the Green boys in there and Washington will be scrappy for sure. I wouldnt see them falling behind Fairfield but I do believe that Fort Madison will be very tough this year. They were already on the rise last year and were young. They brought in a new coach that is a proven winner and he will have them playing good ball this summer.

I would say it will be a dog fight at the top between Mt P, Washington and Ft Madison. Not sure in what order but it should be a fun ball season.

Well, Assumption came to town and got back out with a couple of wins. Mt Pleasant's inexperience showed through in an evening that saw their defense commit 11 errors. Assumption took full advantage of that and played some pretty good baseball. Mt Pleasant held the lead in both games but Assumption just would not go away. The heartbreaker came in game two in which the Panthers showed some moxy in rallying back from a 5-0 deficit to take a two run lead, then with a 2 run lead and 2 outs Assumption came back and tied it up in the top of 7 and Mt. P was done scoreing for the night. In the top of the 8th the Knights exploded for 8 runs to seal the victory. I still think the Panthers can get it together and put together a nice season but will for sure need to work out some of kinks thats were exposed on opening night.

I am not sure what happend with Vaughn, he was in the dug-out in street clothes... I did ask around but no one seemed to know what was going on with him. Not having him there is certainly concerning as he is a solid short stop and a good top of the order bat. His absence means moving Junior second baseman Alex O'donnel over to play short and then bringing in Sophomore Dustin Amos to play 2nd. I am sure both kids will play the new spots just fine but hope Joey gets back soon.

From what I understand Assumption booted quite a few as well.
Early in season and kids are going to get used to playing again.

Certainly hope the MP pitcher who was drilled with the line drive is okay. Didn't see it but received a text saying ball was hit very hard right off throwing arm of MP ace. Hope he is ok!

Yes, early season and for sure neither team played a super clean game.

The Mt P Ace will be fine. It did scare the heck out of him and his folks and coaches! That was a very hard hit ball. He played second base in game two and aside from a little swelling said he felt good. He didnt want to come out of the game after it happened but coaches didnt want to take any chances.

As a parent from Mt. Pleasant I find out most of my info from my kids and I guess what happened with Vaughn was he broke into the school for a senior prank with some other kids and he ended up getting suspended for those two games but I guess that may be all the games he is suspended.

Eddyville-Blakesburg coming to town this evening to play the Panthers. Anyone have a scouting report on EB? Sounds like the Panthers could be back to full strength so I sure hope they can clean up the errors and play some better baseball.

I know they have the Larkin kid pitching probably. He threw 58 inning and had 95k's last year.He might be a lefty if I remember right.
Glad to hear the one young man will be back and is not hurt.

Looks like the Larkin kid beat Des Moines Christian last week 1-0 only giving up 3 hits in 7 innings. That part is impressive but the 14 K's are what got my attention. He could be a handful! Since he pitched last on the 23rd I would imagine we will see him this evening.

Lets get ready to swing the bats Panthers!

Looks like EB has a double header tomorrow night against Davis County so I wonder if that will at all play into who they put on the hill tonight? Mt Pleasant travels to Mid-Prairie tomorrow night and Wapello on Thursday and will also head to Muscatine for a double header on Saturday, busy week for the boys from Mt P!

You may be correct on this one...

I see Washington has a 3-1 record and will be hosting Regina tonight. Any prections on how this one turns out? I really dont know much about Regina but would imagine Washington can hold their own in this match up.

Also, do not see a record for Fairfield. Not sure how thier season is shaping up? Any idea's?

I would think this will be a good test for Washington.I believe this is the 1st night they have a full team. Redlinger should be back and just has to focus on baseball. He had a load with state T&F and golf.
No clue about FF.

Mt Pleasant goes down to EB last night 10-3, I was not able to attend the game but a co-worker filled me in a bit this morning. Sounds like EB did not throw one of their top two and still had a no hitter going into the 6th inning. The information I got was they were the "best" team we have faced so far in the batter's box. I would have never imagined that after playing a double header with Assumption to kick off the season. Hats off to EB sounds like they are tough. Cant wait to get my hands on some stats... There is always tonight at Mid-Prairie, hope the boys can get a W under their belts...

Washington had a rough night too.I think most people knew it was going to take a while to replace so many SR.
This group will come around by mid-season.

Mt Pleasant got a win on the books Wednesday night against Mid-Prairie. Hopefully will be the start of good things to come. Sounds like they swung the bats well scoring 11 runs against a young Mid-Prarie team.

Scheduled to play Wapello tonight but rained out... Good luck in Muscatine this Saturday boys!

Just had coffee with a friend this morning who tells me that the Panthers were swept yesterday by a pretty good Muscatine team. He didnt have the stats but seemed to think that the Panthers may have outhit the Muskies in game two but just couldnt get the timely hits to get runs across the plate. Needless to say its been a rough start.

Keep your chin up boys things will come together soon!

Osky comes to town tonight for a meeting with Mt Pleasant. Anyone have a scouting report on Osky?

My Panthers are 1-5 and I am still believing...

I was really surprise to see Fairfield sweep Ft.Madison this Conference is up for grabs thats for sure.Washington and KK split that was a shock too.

Yea! Looks like Washington is leading the way at 3-3. I didnt see Fairfield sweeping FM and sure didnt see Washington splitting with Keokuk.

Its going to be interesting to see who can get it together and step up during conference play. I know I keep saying it but I still think Mt Pleasant will get it together and play some good baseball during conference play.

The Panthers looked very good tonight both offensively and in the field beating Oskaloosa 10-0 in 5 innings.

Hoping they can keep it rolling against Burlington Notre Dame tomorrow night. Then on Thursday with the official kick off of the Southeast conference play against Washington.
This post was edited on 6/6 8:11 AM by 3afootballrocks

The Panthers looked pretty good against Osky. I agree they are much better than their record indocates not doubt. 4 loses came from a few very good 4A teams. Looks like on Quick stats they have a few soph's hitting pretty good. Dustin Amos and Carson Remick. Vaugh looked really good at the plate Tuesday.
Washington will be a true test.

Yes Mt Pleasant has had a few soph's really step up. Remick has been very good and Amos really answered the bell too. The Calupa kid in center is also a soph and while he hasnt found it at the dish yet he is very good in center field, add Meyer a sophmore pitcher into that mix and as you can see the Panthers have a very deep pool in the sophomore class. They will no doubt bolster our upper classmen.

Last night they handled a very young WBND squad 22-2 and while that was a good game for the Panthers to get some confidence I agree the test will be this evening with Washington coming to town. This is always a good night of baseball regardless of records as this is a great rivalry.

Best of luck to both teams tonight!

That sophmore class is pretty talented and has played a bunch of baseball together. that makes a difference. Hopefully they get some good playing time.
Washington looks pretty good on quick stats hitting wise but not against any real heavy teams as of yet. They will be a tough team to beat but a home game boads well for Mt. Pleasant. The key for Mt. Pleasant will be scoring. Other than the last two games that has been an issue with a few players really struggling at the plate. They need to hit to win against Washington. Their line up looks strong.

It should be a good night for some good baseball.I know the Washington kids can't wait they enjoy playing a very good Mt.Pleasant team.
I think both teams have a good shot tonight.I really don't know how good Washington is I've got a feeling they'll be really tough by the end of the season.

I think the feeling is mutual. The boys thrive on the competition of a good Washington team and it is going to be a great night for baseball. I hope I can make it to town on time to catch at least 1 of the 2 games!

I also think Washington and Mt Pleasant are at about the same place with their seasons... I think both will be very tough later in the season and right now are both trying to find their stride. Both have some outstanding athletes so I think anything could happen.

Wow... I would have never imagined last nights outcome. I didnt make it for the first game but was told that Washington pretty much owned the Panthers in game 1 10-0 in 5 innings. When I walked up and heard that prior to the start of game 2 I thought we were in trouble. Game 2 was a complete turn around with the Panthers winning that one in 5 12-0.

It would have been cool to see Mt Pleasants Shull and Washington's Henry dual head to head. I think this match up would give us the best picture of who would come out on top.

Shull threw a 1 hitter in game 2. I was told Henry scattered 5 hits in game 1.

So what do we take from this? I think we ended up in a tie and still do not know who the better team is. I think they are pretty even.

I am going to start looking for other scores from the conference to see how everyone else ended up last night.

I wasn't there but it did sound crazy.Sound like Washington was so focus on the 1st game and kinda let down the 2nd and i'm sure Shull had something to do with that.
Washington will start throwing a lefty soon.The Woods kid hasn't thrown any but last i heard he's getting close to taking the mound.

I was there for the 1st game. Washington did not own Mt. Pleasant by any means. The defense committed 8 errors!!! The amos kid on the mound threw very well!! Probably only gave up 3 or 4 earned runs! But with 8 errors. 4 of those on the second baseman who just came back from a suspension, it wasnt happening. Mt. Pleasant struggled at the plate for sure against the Washington pitcher, he threw very well. But again the 8 errors didnt help the cause at all. 1 error the second game and the Panthers hit very well. Shull threw one of his best games so far in the second game.

the Hawkeye has always been anti Mt. Pleasant!! Just kidding. I guess my point was the Panthers had 8 errors which didnt help anything at all. 14 hits seems really high though. It didnt seem like they had that many while watching the game. But Washington's strength is their batting. How could it not be with the facility they have there!!

That facility is awesome the softball team is the leading hitting team in 4a and the BB team can swing the bats well too.The Kids spend a lot of time in there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT