ADVERTISEMENT

Mr Basketball Predictions

bravos

Freshman
May 8, 2003
Here is how I would vote:
1. DJ Carton: Dude will start at Ohio State next year!
2. Patrick McCaffery
3. Cole Henry
4. Owen Coburn
5. Jake Hilmer

Hilmer will win it.

What is the award? Is it for best Iowa high school career or is it for best future in college basketball?

Hilmer or Carton or both. Only two realistic candidates. If I could vote, it would be Hilmer though.

I’m giving the edge to McCaffrey over Carton. Carton may be the better player, but McCaffrey arguably had better numbers and his team made it to state.

Points/game
McC- 25.1
Carton 24.4
3 pt %
McC- 46%
Carton 33%
Rebs
McC-7.6
Carton 7.5
Assists
McC- 2.5
Carton 5.9

Plus, McCaffrey committed to the in state school, that always helps in the voting process. Hilmer is the wild card in this.

My vote is
1) Carton
2) Hilmer
3) McCaffery

Carton is a much more impactful player than McCaffery. Also very impressed with Hilmer-- he is a tough player with a special skill set.

What do you know...co-POTYs

Isn't this what usually happens when you have one person who should win the award (Hilmer) and another who is "supposed" to win it (Carton)? Instead of turning heads or pissing people off you give out the "co" award.

The problem is, everyone knows Carton is the most talented player in the state, however, I'm willing to bet that the majority of those who have seen both play would say they were more impressed with Hilmer. Some don't want to hear that...oh well.

What do you know...co-POTYs

Isn't this what usually happens when you have one person who should win the award (Hilmer) and another who is "supposed" to win it (Carton)? Instead of turning heads or pissing people off you give out the "co" award.

The problem is, everyone knows Carton is the most talented player in the state, however, I'm willing to bet that the majority of those who have seen both play would say they were more impressed with Hilmer. Some don't want to hear that...oh well.

I’d agree with that, but nobody wants to see the type of numbers Carton would be putting up against 1A and 2A competition. That’s not to take anything away from Hilmer because I truly do think he deserves it, but put Carton against that level and he is averaging close to 40 per game.

Reactions: Pinehawk
There is a reason DJ Carton is the 26th ranked high school senior in the nation and had the offers he had. He is the best basketball player in the state of Iowa and deserves the Mr Basketball award. It would have been an embarrassment for the state if he didn't win it.

I’d agree with that, but nobody wants to see the type of numbers Carton would be putting up against 1A and 2A competition. That’s not to take anything away from Hilmer because I truly do think he deserves it, but put Carton against that level and he is averaging close to 40 per game.

Carton probably wouldn’t have gotten as many minutes in games if he played 1A-2A.

Hilmer will win it.

What is the award? Is it for best Iowa high school career or is it for best future in college basketball?

It’s for best player in the state in the given year. Not career. Yes Hilmer won in a tie vote. But no rational person would claim he is the best player in the state of Iowa this year. If he were, I doubt he would be going DII and passing up major DI offers just to play baseball too. It’s a vote os sportswriters...not exactly an unbiased group.

It was a vote (at least joint meeting) of sportswriters AND coaches.

Last edited:
It’s for best player in the state in the given year. Not career. Yes Hilmer won in a tie vote. But no rational person would claim he is the best player in the state of Iowa this year. If he were, I doubt he would be going DII and passing up major DI offers just to play baseball too. It’s a vote os sportswriters...not exactly an unbiased group.

Why do you have to play D1 to be a "justifiable" Best in the State? He is not going to go Pro, so why not go to play basketball in D2 and not be on the basketball team in D1?

Reactions: KCMOHawkeye
Why do you have to play D1 to be a "justifiable" Best in the State? He is not going to go Pro, so why not go to play basketball in D2 and not be on the basketball team in D1?
o_O............................

07fbb1f2bf57d149b0244336fdb7073d.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT