ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Night 3A Scores- Who Advances to State?

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Want to give any of your predictions before the scores come in tonight? Most favorites should win, but I see five or six substates that should be interesting, to say the least! Also post scores and comments here.

Pairings and Luke's picks (in caps) are:
WAVERLY vs. Forest City
MT. PLEASANT vs. Oskaloosa
Atlantic vs. GLENWOOD
Boone vs. DALLAS CENTER- GRIMES
PELLA vs. Grinnell
SC HEELAN vs. Sergeant Bluff- Luton
WEST DELAWARE vs. Center Point- Urbana
Dubuque Wahlert vs.CEDAR RAPIDS XAVIER

I see Waverly, West Delaware and most-likely CR Xavier winning, with the rest being hotly contested. What do you think? As far as pairings in Des Moines, I think you have to go by record this year. How would you possibly seed them with so many top teams?

Last edited:
Boone - DCG should be a pretty even game tonight. DCG won earlier this year by 6 but I am taking Boone tonight in a close one. Boone seems to be playing their best basketball at the right time of the year.

In order of my confidence of pick

Waverly
West Delaware
Pella
Xavier
Heelan
Glenwood
DCG
Oskaloosa

Final CR Xavier 58, Dub. Wahlert 37. I think Xavier wins state again. Wahlert returns five starters next year and outstanding guards from a good soph team. Xavier has it all- great point guard in Mims, tall front court of Techau and Joens, 6-7 and 6-6, all Div. 2/small college quality players. Xavier is also an outstanding defensive team. Undefeated West Delaware meets CPU in the second game at the Cellular Center.

Last edited:
Pella wins 55-53. Total collapse by Grinnell at the end of the game. Grinnell ahead by 6 and the ball with under 3 minutes left and just laid an egg.

There's a couple of upsets. Hate to be the loser in those two squeakers.
Waverly beat Forest City 71- 55.

Looks like our final 8 are:

Dallas Center-Grimes
Pella
Mt. Pleasant
Sergeant Bluff- Luton
Cedar Rapids Xavier (3 of BC Moore's top 16 go down in that substate)
Atlantic
Waverly- Shell Rock and
West Delaware unless the #1 team goes down in the biggest upset of the night.

Last edited:
Winners
WAVERLY
MT. PLEASANT
Atlantic
DALLAS CENTER- GRIMES
PELLA
Sergeant Bluff- Luton
WEST DELAWARE vs. Center Point- Urbana- Ongoing
CEDAR RAPIDS XAVIER

Wow. If West Delaware pulls this out, BC Moore's computer rankings will have correctly picked 7 of the final 8. The only team not in his top 8 is Atlantic. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcmoore87
3A State Tournament Teams:
WAVERLY
MT. PLEASANT
Atlantic
DALLAS CENTER- GRIMES
PELLA
Sergeant Bluff- Luton
WEST DELAWARE
CEDAR RAPIDS XAVIER

Can't knock the Little Hawkeye, who got 2 teams in for 3A and at least one for other classes (PC). Impressive win by MP though. (Big night for teams who "didn't play a hard enough schedule" with St. Mary's winning in 1A)

The seeding is going to be so hard, especially Xavier. Where do you put them? I think the top five (in no order) are Waverly, Pella, MP, Xavier and West Delaware, but I couldn't even guess what order you'd put them all in.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Can't knock the Little Hawkeye, who got 2 teams in for 3A and at least one for other classes (PC). Impressive win by MP though. (Big night for teams who "didn't play a hard enough schedule" with St. Mary's winning in 1A)

The seeding is going to be so hard, especially Xavier. Where do you put them? I think the top five (in no order) are Waverly, Pella, MP, Xavier and West Delaware, but I couldn't even guess what order you'd put them all in.
The 4-5 game could be an excellent match up...MP-Xavier rematch???

The 4-5 game could be an excellent match up...MP-Xavier rematch???

It is so hard to rank the top 5 especially. I wouldn't be surprised if MP and Xavier are 4 and 5, but also who's #1? Is Waverly the top team? Pella? West Delaware is undefeated, can you rank them any lower than 3?

I think if they started this charade last year where Xavier and Wahlert were both in with not great records, it would have been a complete crap show, because a lot of media types would have put them 1 and 2, while a lot would have had them lower.

If it was the media ranking the teams, I would guess a lot of them would put Xavier as high as #1. Since it is the coaches, I'd say they are more likely to go by about what bcmoore says (although last I checked bcmoore isn't updated and I think MP could be the second ranked team by then because of last night's results)

My guess for seeding

#1 West Delaware
#2 WSR
#3 Pella
#4 Mount Pleasant
#5 Xavier
#6 Atlantic
#7 DCG
#8 SBL

I'll take WSR over Xavier in the final, with this seeding.

My guess for seeding

#1 West Delaware
#2 WSR
#3 Pella
#4 Mount Pleasant
#5 Xavier
#6 Atlantic
#7 DCG
#8 SBL
I'll take WSR over Xavier in the final, with this seeding.

I'll take

#1 WSR
#2 Mt Pleasant
#3 West Delaware
#4 Xavier
#5 Pella
#6 Atlantic
#7 DCG
#8 SBL

MP decisive win over Osky who barely loses to Pella earns them a #2 over West Delaware who barely beat a CPU team, who barely beat a Washington team that got destroyed by MP twice....however, I could see flipping those 2 also just for the respect of WD being undefeated

WSR and MP in final...I can see any of the top 5 winning it all as its that close this year....

Last edited:
updated

Code:
   R  Team                  Conf ( W- L)    Mod Str
   1  Pella                  L H (22- 2) 111.47  6W
   2  Mount Pleasant          SE (22- 2) 110.96 12W
   3  Waverly-Shell Rock    NE I (22- 1) 110.88  5W
   4  Cedar Rapids Xavier    MVC (13-11) 109.34  3W
   5  West Delaware         WAMC (24- 0) 109.10 24W
   7  Sergeant Bluff-Luton   MRC (15- 9) 105.80  4W
   9  Dallas Center-Grimes   L H (15- 9) 104.71  3W
  18  Atlantic              H 10 (19- 5)  99.13  7W

I think that West Delaware gets the #1 for being undefeated, WSR #2 since their only loss is to a good 4A team, and they have a win over Xavier, I put Pella at #3 due to their strong conference and schedule and strong record, really Xavier should be the #4 with the win over Mt. Pleasant but 4 or 5 just decides the jersey color. Atlantic with 4 fewer losses then SBL or DCG and really SBL could take the 7 over DCG playing in a mostly 4A conference but I actually think DCG might have played a tougher schedule.

It really comes down to the record vs SOS debate and it'll be interesting to see what the coaches do.

Good discussion. I like the way most of you have the seeds, but I'd have Sergeant Bluff- Luton up to about 6th or 7th because they came out of very tough substate. The 3A tourney this year should be very competitive. I think one of these three will win it: Xavier, Mt. Pleasant or Waverly- Shell Rock. Wish I could watch it on TV or the computer, though.

Interesting seeding. Like the format anything the Boone clowns don't have to decide has to be better.

WSR over Atlantic the Trojans were somewhat robbed they should have been the 6th seed with SBL the 8th
West Del over DCG
Pella big over SBL good draw for Pella
Xavier over Mt. Pleasant 12 loss team deserves 4th seed hmm

WSR over Xavier should be title game
Pella over West Del

WSR big over Pella

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT