ADVERTISEMENT

May we all….

I’m not offended at all (can’t speak for others) and I will certainly concede many individuals representing various religions groups have done a great disservice to “organized religion” by their conduct. That being said, the one thing they all have in common is their humanity and thus their sinful nature. Which brings us to Christ, fully human AND fully Devine (He is God after all 😊), without sin and without blemish, listen to him….not us. Peace with you.
The former pastor at our church had some recurring themes in his sermons. One was “we live in a broken world”. When you realize that and combine it with the teachings of the Bible, the world does make more sense. Note I didn’t say it was always fun or comfortable. In fact recent signs point to the slow deterioration of our society in all aspects.

The former pastor at our church had some recurring themes in his sermons. One was “we live in a broken world”. When you realize that and combine it with the teachings of the Bible, the world does make more sense. Note I didn’t say it was always fun or comfortable. In fact recent signs point to the slow deterioration of our society in all aspects.
When has it ever not been broken though? Do I think it’s worse today in many aspects? For sure. But humans are humans and we do the same shit over and over.

I think a few of you are just a bit offended. I never said I didn’t believe in a god or some higher power. My problem is with organized religion and their bullshit. Now so I think the Bible is “ the word of God?” No, not really. It’s a storybook and another tool of organized religion. And it’s full of all kinds of hypocrisy.

But who am I to say there’s not something out there? I dont know there isn’t anymore than you know there is. My feeling is that if he exists, He doesn’t care nearly as much about what happens to us as many of you would like to think.

Yeah I get it. Bad examples of Christians praising Christ, but denying him with their actions, are rampant. It’s what an unbelieving world finds simply unbelievable.

But as far as God‘s presence, anytime you have people who love each other, God‘s essence is there. Love is the spirit of God, and the celebration this week is acknowledgment of The spirit of love incarnate surrendering life for others as the ultimate sacrifice of love. More than that is just bonus material…… Any aspect of God that people may preach which isn’t all about the love, ain’t about the God I worship

I understand you may not believe in a sentient God among us, but the only one worth ever considering is one that’s built around love. FWIW

Regarding religion, there are approximately 4000 different ones in the world. How do you know yours is the correct one? Did somebody tell you what the correct one is? Did you draw one out of a hat and just run with it? I don’t really have a dog in this fight, so I’ll probably just sit this conversation out.

• Haha
Reactions: GwinnettDawg
Regarding religion, there are approximately 4000 different ones in the world. How do you know yours is the correct one? Did somebody tell you what the correct one is? Did you draw one out of a hat and just run with it? I don’t really have a dog in this fight, so I’ll probably just sit this conversation out.
That's why it's called faith.

Reactions: ZosoDawg
I like how mine drives:, 8-cylinder, leather seats, shift on the fly 4x4, kicking stereo, cup holders, sun-roof, Yeti cooler in back, and hitch for boat trailer

Conceptually :)

That's why it's called faith.
And that’s where we diverge I guess. I’ve had folks give the oxygen argument. I can’t see it but I know it’s there because I’m alive. OK. I have no issue with people relying on their faith and believing something is true even though there’s no physical evidence. It’s like honk claiming those natty’s that no one else can see.

• Haha
Reactions: IrishPokerDog
And that’s where we diverge I guess. I’ve had folks give the oxygen argument. I can’t see it but I know it’s there because I’m alive. OK. I have no issue with people relying on their faith and believing something is true even though there’s no physical evidence. It’s like honk claiming those natty’s that no one else can see.
Nothing wrong with that. I don't claim to be a particularly good Christian myself. We are challenged to spread the word, not beat others over the head with it. Those people annoy me too. Just like the handful of folks I know that counter EVERYTHING with a bible verse, like they are some kind of saint. My gut says they are "all show and no go" but I let their words roll off my back. I've found people who challenge their beliefs and their own actions tend to be more genuine and relatable.

In short, I have more in common with you than the "holy rollers" that annoy us both.

I’m not offended at all (can’t speak for others) and I will certainly concede many individuals representing various religions groups have done a great disservice to “organized religion” by their conduct. That being said, the one thing they all have in common is their humanity and thus their sinful nature. Which brings us to Christ, fully human AND fully Devine (He is God after all 😊), without sin and without blemish, listen to him….not us. Peace with you.

Well said. I have another friend from New York whose family used to attend a Baptist Church. I get the feeling that Baptist churches in New York are different by nature than the ones I've attended throughout the southeast based on my conversations with him (and Gwinnet to a lesser degree).

Either way, blaming God for the failures of man, when God promises that man will fail (there's that freewill again), seems unfair but like you, I'm not mad at anyone.

If the Church or the Bible itself bothers a person, my recommendation would be to develop a personal relationship with God and see where that leads you. I know for certain that the Bible made no sense to me before I did that.

I guess I discovered the right one for me in an "oh shit" moment. My soul and my body were broken and God healed me when I humbly asked him to.

It wasn't the end of my troubles, mind you. In some ways it was only the beginning but I was stronger and more capable from that moment forward.

However, and don't get this part confused, I'm still fallen and I'm still a sinner so judging Him through my actions is unwise and unhealthy.

I got baptized in a highly zealous Baptist church in Albany. Sherwood Baptist. That’s the place that made the movie Facing The Giants that had Mark Richt in it.

I just figured out that you almost certainly meant Albany, GA and not Albany, NY. 😂

Either way, my advice would be do not let another fallen human define who God is for you. Do that for yourself.

I've been to horrible churches myself where, hand to God, I felt the presence of evil. I left and found another church. The last one had a GIGANTIC statue of a white dove outside...and inside, the first thing I saw was a group of midgets talking in tongues. Nope, I'm not joking. We stayed for about 10 minutes and then we had seen enough.

I just figured out that you almost certainly meant Albany, GA and not Albany, NY. 😂

Either way, my advice would be do not let another fallen human define who God is for you. Do that for yourself.

I've been to horrible churches myself where, hand to God, I felt the presence of evil. I left and found another church. The last one had a GIGANTIC statue of a white dove outside...and inside, the first thing I saw was a group of midgets talking in tongues. Nope, I'm not joking. We stayed for about 10 minutes and then we had seen enough.
That's the thing. What better place for evil to infiltrate than a supposed house of God? Then bend people to your will under the auspices that they are following God. I have no doubt that many churches that exist today are corrupted.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
I'll say this, traditional Easter music is amazing. Some real heavy hitters. I know contemporary services are all the rage these days, but I'm more of a traditionalist myself.
Same here. I’m an Episcopalian and wife a Lutheran. Easter service at her church this year with a big Easter party afterward. I would invite Snoop to join us but he would probably start a fight with some old lady over Christianity or some other shite. I have tried and tried to help him see the light for the past 6-7 years. But like Jesus, I haven’t given up on him yet.

Just outside of Prattville is a hole in the wall restaurant called Fantails. That's as good of a seafood dinner as one could possibly expect away from the coastline.

I'm miserable I'm so full. And PS, their beer is pretty cold.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT