ADVERTISEMENT

May we all….

..use this Holy Week, starting with Holy Thursday, to begin our journey of repentance. As we look around and see the state of our world, nation and families, real change begins with the individual. May you all have a blessed Easter Triduum.
Holy Thursday? Man, you people never stop.

The whole week?!?
Yes. Most of the events from the New Testament describing Jesus' life occur during the time between Him entering Jerusalem for Passover, which we celebrate as Palm Sunday, and the Resurrection, which we celebrate as Easter. That's what Holy Week represents.

If that bothers you, Easter Sunday begins Eastertide, which lasts 50 days.

Yes. Most of the events from the New Testament describing Jesus' life occur during the time between Him entering Jerusalem for Passover, which we celebrate as Palm Sunday, and the Resurrection, which we celebrate as Easter. That's what Holy Week represents.

If that bothers you, Easter Sunday begins Eastertide, which lasts 50 days.
Amen, throw in the 40 days of Lent preceding and you’ve got a spiritual marathon! 😊

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
..use this Holy Week, starting with Holy Thursday, to begin our journey of repentance. As we look around and see the state of our world, nation and families, real change begins with the individual. May you all have a blessed Easter Triduum.
My knees used to get real sore during the Good Friday "Three Hours Devotion" when I was in a Catholic Grammar School. It was a nice relief to be able to stand up between stations during The Stations of the Cross.

One only has to look around at the mess that is our world today to realize some healthy fear may be a good thing.
Fear of getting your ass whipped by your parents is one thing and doesn’t happen nearly enough. Or getting punched in the face for screaming in the face of a cop. But thinking you’ll burn in hell at the hands of a jealous and vindictive god, I just can’t get on board with that.

See, that’s an example of why I call bullshit on organized religion. The fear factor. It’s a tool to control you.
You must have had a marvelous childhood! I was raised a Catholic, but am not a member of any religion and there is no tool controlling me. Do I detect a bit of paranoia?

You must have had a marvelous childhood! I was raised a Catholic, but am not a member of any religion and there is no tool controlling me. Do I detect a bit of paranoia?
I got baptized in a highly zealous Baptist church in Albany. Sherwood Baptist. That’s the place that made the movie Facing The Giants that had Mark Richt in it.

When I was a teenager they used fear and shame as tools against everyone. I recall the pastor giving the women shit for watching Dallas and Dynasty. Meanwhile hiskid knocked up a 16 yo girl and he tried to hide it. Jerry Falwell was a regular guest there.

I would encourage everyone (no matter where they are on their spiritual journey) to prayerfully read the Gospels again (great book is Bishop Barron’s “Word on Fire, The Gospels”) and reflect on Christ’s teachings. I think you’ll find that although God is referred to as a “jealous God”, the point of the “jealous” God was that He alone was worthy of love, since He was its source.
An explanation of why we should “fear” God, “the fear of the Lord is a source of great peace and happiness; thus this is very different from worldly fears of suffering or punishment and rather it helps us endure pain because of our love for the Savior.”

Fear of getting your ass whipped by your parents is one thing and doesn’t happen nearly enough. Or getting punched in the face for screaming in the face of a cop. But thinking you’ll burn in hell at the hands of a jealous and vindictive god, I just can’t get on board with that.
I understand the skepticism but not really the criticism.

If you don’t like it or believe in it, cool. Millions do, and millions say it works.

Luckily you have freewill, like the rest of us.

Reactions: Reasoned
Yep. Fun times. I got tired of the old biting heads off of bats stuff.
BW42HGEZFJADBHA25EH4NUQQIM.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Reasoned
Luckily you have freewill, like the rest of us.
Of course. You ever see the movie Devil’s Advocate? There’s a scene where Pacino covers all that. “The greatest con of all time” or something like that I think he says.

I think a few of you are just a bit offended. I never said I didn’t believe in a god or some higher power. My problem is with organized religion and their bullshit. Now so I think the Bible is “ the word of God?” No, not really. It’s a storybook and another tool of organized religion. And it’s full of all kinds of hypocrisy.

But who am I to say there’s not something out there? I dont know there isn’t anymore than you know there is. My feeling is that if he exists, He doesn’t care nearly as much about what happens to us as many of you would like to think.

I think a few of you are just a bit offended. I never said I didn’t believe in a god or some higher power. My problem is with organized religion and their bullshit. Now so I think the Bible is “ the word of God?” No, not really. It’s a storybook and another tool of organized religion. And it’s full of all kinds of hypocrisy.

But who am I to say there’s not something out there? I dont know there isn’t anymore than you know there is. My feeling is that if he exists, He doesn’t care nearly as much about what happens to us as many of you would like to think.
LOL at the bullschit in this one.

I’m not offended at all (can’t speak for others) and I will certainly concede many individuals representing various religions groups have done a great disservice to “organized religion” by their conduct. That being said, the one thing they all have in common is their humanity and thus their sinful nature. Which brings us to Christ, fully human AND fully Devine (He is God after all 😊), without sin and without blemish, listen to him….not us. Peace with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT