ADVERTISEMENT

March 5- 2A, 3A, 4A Scores and Comments

CF size and defense royally giving SC East fits. Bad call near end of half calling a block on East, should’ve been a travel on Wolf. But CF otherwise dominating, up 33-19 at half. East leading rebounder in foul trouble, spent a good chunk of the second quarter on the bench.

Cedar Falls just looks bigger, faster, better out there. Great group of athletes they have on that team.

Your sincerest apologies,

From the MRAC
Yeah between SBL and East pretty horrible day for the MRAC. For the life of me I can't figure out how Vanderloo averaged 23 a game. He had no chance against the athletic guards of Cedar Falls.

Yeah between SBL and East pretty horrible day for the MRAC. For the life of me I can't figure out how Vanderloo averaged 23 a game. He had no chance against the athletic guards of Cedar Falls.

He is a very good shooter but I think you have to give credit to Cedar Falls. He couldn’t create any shots and shouldn’t have forced those that he did.

East has a terrific program and one of the best coaches in the state. Vanderloo is a really solid player. It hurts them that they didn’t play in a grinder of a league like the CIML or the MVC night in and night out. When they get to the big stage and face truly battle tested, extremely athletic, and well coached teams, it is an uphill battle for them. Cedar Falls is athletic, physical, and plays great D. I do think that North Scott will give CF problems in the semis assuming they beat Ames. Congrats to East on another fantastic season, they are the pride of the western side.

I think CF wins it all. I wish East would’ve played better tonight but all week I had hard time seeing a way they could win against Wolfe and CF

Everyone on here seems to say the west side is so good, but now I'm reading that Sioux City East suffered from a poor schedule.

North Scott vs.Ames. I think North Scott will win, but we'll see. 13-3, North Scott early. Ames has caught up and gone ahead right before the half. Can't believe freshmen and sophomores are playing in this game.

Last edited:
Everyone on here seems to say the west side is so good, but now I'm reading that Sioux City East suffered from a poor schedule.
The west side is great in the smaller classes, especially the Northwest corner. You just found that out with Boyden-Hull. There are very few 4A teams out west though and the quality at that level has been down recently.

Reactions: Anonymous111
Well, I guess we'll see how many titles they finish with this year. Maybe the competition at the top just isn't as strong which allows some teams to appear to stand out.

Very well put sarcastico. The western side of the state is much less densely populated and they struggle in the larger classes because of that. Although the northwest corner of the state is very dominant in all sports in the smaller class sizes. Remsen, Boyden-Hull, South O’Brien, George Little Rock, Rock Valley, Western Christian. It’s an absolute buzz saw up there (again, like I said, only with the smaller class sizes)

The west side is great in the smaller classes, especially the Northwest corner. You just found that out with Boyden-Hull. There are very few 4A teams out west though and the quality at that level has been down recently.
Outside of BH, St Marys is the only other NW IA team left. Not to dog anybody from there, but definitely a down year for schools across the area, as compared to years prior when smaller classes were dominated by the likes of Western Christian, West Lyon a couple years back, GLR to name a few and many others.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Besides B-H's 5 point victory and Remsen's 3 point win, those teams all didn't make the tournament or got rolled at State.

Besides B-H's 5 point victory and Remsen's 3 point win, those teams all didn't make the tournament or got rolled at State.
Because they have to play eachother before state.

B-H’s victory maybe ended at 5 points but they were never really threatened all game until the end when it was too little too late.

You seem to still miss the fact that Rock Valley was right there the whole game against South Hamilton until the last minute. Saying they got rolled is false. BH led Regina by as much as 15. South Hamilton's biggest lead was only 12.

Maybe you didn't see the other Siouxland team because you were already driving back home.

Rock Valley made the state tournament. And I would agree in the 3A & 4A class sizes disappointing. But don’t act like having 4 schools in a sparcely populated area make state is not impressive. Boyden Hull could potentially win it all as well

NW basketball my be a tic down from previous years. Their past performance stands for itself however
That 5 point win over Regina wasn't near as close as the 5 point margin. If BH and Regina play 10 times, BH wins 9 of them maybe 10.Western Christian played a killer schedule an their W/L record payed the price. That was with their 6'10" top player hurt for a large chunk of the year. If they catch a break, they are at the Well this year and could have run the table.

Just last year, they get to the semi-finals and beat a respected east team by 50......yes....50. That was with 2 or 3 of their top players getting suspended after their opening round win.

You can point to individual games here and there and have an argument that the east can compete. However, from top to bottom and looking at the big picture, it's really not all that close.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++..

All teams play tough teams prior to State, like last years east side 2A Champ Cascade can attest to.
B-H had to hang on against a Regina team that was up against a 19 free throw deficit.
Rock Valley wasn't any closer than Regina was for much of their game.

No way B-H beats Regina 9 of 10. Regina didn't play well yesterday. They lost to Camanche by 7 during the season, only to beat them by 20+ in the substate final.

Take away Western Christian's run and the numbers don't look quite so good.

So what we can gather from that is:

Regina and Camanche split during the season

Rock Valley got stomped but the Regals lost due to being under physical and not enough calls (even tho the point differential throughout the games were very similar)

Apparently you need to get rid of a schools history to make things look less impressive

North Scott pummels Ames 56-38 and moves on to face Cedar Falls in the 4A semis. I watched all day and Cedar Falls was by far the best team that played today.

East finished third in 4A three years ago and SBL were runners up. This year was very disappointing, and both may have been overrated by some who hadn’t seen them play. But let’s not act as if every year they make it to state they get blown out and embarrassed.

Pinehawk turns into a huge troll after Regina loses every year. The guy is just a really sore loser. It's best to ignore him because I can tell you from past experiences he won't give up no matter how many facts you throw out there.

When people say 'Western Iowa', what they really mean is 'Western Christian'.

Sioux City East was Kraftwerk's #1 seed in his hypothetical all class State Tournament.

Not trolling, just pointing out facts. Sorry if you don't like them.

And as far as NW IA (this doesn’t include Sioux City).....it is a geographically and somewhat culturally distinctive area, thus making it a target for praise and criticism. Truthfully it is very much like the rest of Iowa.

North Scott pummels Ames 56-38 and moves on to face Cedar Falls in the 4A semis. I watched all day and Cedar Falls was by far the best team that played today.
I agree that Cedar Falls was the best team playing today. North Scott was also very good, or at least they were in the second half. Seales and Anderson are a great 1 - 2 punch. Lipsey is definitely going to be one to watch in the next few years for Ames. Did not look like your typical freshman out there.

When people say 'Western Iowa', what they really mean is 'Western Christian'.

Sioux City East was Kraftwerk's #1 seed in his hypothetical all class State Tournament.

Not trolling, just pointing out facts. Sorry if you don't like them.
Look how well the Siouxland Conference has done at state. Western isn't included in that. Over the last 20 seasons they have 9 championships in 1a and 2a plus 2 runner up finishes. One conference has about 25% of the championships in 1a and 2a. Now throw in championships from storm lake st marys, south obrien, and unity. More than just western.

Couple of questions. Is the North Linn coach always ride the refs like he did today, and does he always leave his leading scorer in until the final couple of minutes when the game is well in hand, and the other team has emptied their bench?

My goodness Cheer Hawks. You just have it out for those coaches don’t you. How do they do it where you are from? Please do tell.

All this talk about the Siouxland. It really should be about the War Eagle. Teams like South O’Brien, St Mary’s, Hartley, Hinton, West Sioux, Unity are tough every year. Some great coaches in that conference too. Yates, Ruden Lidiak, Warner,

All this talk about the Siouxland. It really should be about the War Eagle. Teams like South O’Brien, St Mary’s, Hartley, Hinton, West Sioux, Unity are tough every year. Some great coaches in that conference too. Yates, Ruden Lidiak, Warner,
With the inclusion of Hartley I'm having trouble telling if this is a sarcasm or not. HMS is trash almost every year.

I just looked back because I was interested and because there seemed to be a lot more War Eagle vs Siouxland matchups this year.

Siouxland won 11
War Eagle won 5

I do agree on the great coaching that you listed. All bets are off when you're playing against their squads.

With the inclusion of Hartley I'm having trouble telling if this is a sarcasm or not. HMS is trash almost every year.

Wrong “H” team NW Iowa. I was trying to think of Hinton and could only come up with Hartley. I forgot to delete Hartley. I used to be more familiar with the War Eagle in my youth. I just remember it’s always about the Suouxland. They are good. But looks like the War Eagle has had some success this year and recently.

I think it's great that Western Iowa or NW Iowa fans stick up for their teams. Sports is local; politics is local; life is local.

Reactions: Hooper2021
He won't take the IC job because then he can't pad his dad's (co-coach) win total with 25 guaranteed wins per year.
Is it still a co-coach situation? Dad's record was impressive before, if these wins are included it deserves three ***, hollow record imo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT