ADVERTISEMENT

March 5- 2A, 3A, 4A Scores and Comments

I wonder if North Linn would beat Grandview this year if they were still in 1A. Without Duhmulenare, Grandview may not be able to handle the pressure North Linn brings

NL wouldn't be getting near the rebounds and the points in the paint with GVC's rim protection. Also, GVC is able to pressure the perimeter better than many teams NL faces because of their rim protection.

But having said that, your point is well taken.

North Linn wins 68-45. As expected they are still really good. Hilmer keeps getting better. Seems like there was no limit to his range today. Sets up for an interesting semifinal against Van Meter. The number one offense taking on the number one defense with two very different styles of play butting heads. Whoever can dictate their style and tempo should win. After today it is hard to bet against North Linn.

North Linn wins 68-45. As expected they are still really good. Hilmer keeps getting better. Seems like there was no limit to his range today. Sets up for an interesting semifinal against Van Meter. The number one offense taking on the number one defense with two very different styles of play butting heads. Whoever can dictate their style and tempo should win. After today it is hard to bet against North Linn.
I will take NL over VM by 20.

Reactions: iowalongs230
Born finishes with 40 as Norwalk rolls in a 81-39 win over Ballard avenging their loss on the first game of the season. Born is so fun to watch. He can do it all on the offensive end. Norwalk has some really nice players around him with Endres and Johnson as well. There is just a lot of talent in 3A this year.

Reactions: StatewidePundit

Couple of questions. Is the North Linn coach always ride the refs like he did today, and does he always leave his leading scorer in until the final couple of minutes when the game is well in hand, and the other team has emptied their bench?

Couple of questions. Is the North Linn coach always ride the refs like he did today, and does he always leave his leading scorer in until the final couple of minutes when the game is well in hand, and the other team has emptied their bench?
I have not seen many North Linn games but from what I have heard from others, yes to both.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Clear Lake, with hot outside shooting, is ahead of West Delaware 20- 11 at the 1 Q. Clear Lake looks good. Now its 35- 24 at halftime. Clear Lake very aggressive on the offensive boards. 49-40 Clear Lake going into the 4th Q. Clear Lake looks like the smoother team. Derek Krogman is 0-6 on free throws for WD.

61- 46 Clear Lake over West Delaware (Manchester). I have to eat crow. I said they didnt have a signature win, but Clear Lake completely outplayed West Delaware, and looked smooth and well-coached in doing it. Should be a great game against favorite Norwalk in the next round.

Also want to say that the IHSSN announcer did a great job in this game.

Last edited:
Clear Lake, with hot outside shooting, is ahead of West Delaware 20- 11 at the 1 Q. Clear Lake looks good. Now its 35- 24 at halftime. Clear Lake very aggressive on the offensive boards.
I think people may have underestimated Clear Lake due to their schedule. They went undefeated for a reason and it wasn't just playing bad teams. These kids can play some ball.

Thanks for the updates sarcastico and eastiowahawk. Keep them coming

You could see/sense Born's talent throughout the season. Strong teams had trouble containing him, and felt Norwalk was going to be a tough out.

Clear Lake looks really good. I was tricked by everyone saying they had an easy schedule and thereby weren't any good. I kinda have to cheer for them. It'd be funny to watch an undefeated 4 seed win it all after the coaches voted them so low...not sure they can hang with Born and Norwalk though. They seem to at least have the quickness. Not counting WD out though with their post game.

Yes, and they keep running the score up with their press. Poor sportsmanship, but he has to pad his son's stats.

Another surprise! Winterset is much more aggressive than Sergeant Bluff- Luten in the next game and they have a 6-3 lead, with a loooonng way to go. Now it's tied. Missed the last part of the game, but I was cheering for Winterset, which won at the end by 5. Nice wi by the underdog, 59- 54.

Last edited:
Winterset’s zone giving SBL troubles in the first quarter. They are also getting a majority of their points from their fast breaks.

14-8 winterset after 1

Even with nowhere near the height as SBL they are giving their big men a tough time. Winterset looks like they have 3 guys on the floor that will always win their foot race down the court. If it wasn’t for some of their queationable three’s I would say they are playing the perfect game to stop SBL.

26-16 Winterset at the half.

SBL goes on a 12-4 run after half to bring it within 2 but Winterset quickly takes off again. Creating a lot of movement with their drives and getting help from back to back transition threes. They might even be winning the rebound battle against SBL with 6’7” & 6’8” players.

45-32 after 3

Last edited:
Winterset able to pull off the win. They missed almost every one of their free throws down the stretch but SBL was just unable to string anything together late.

59-54 Winterset final

Wow, who saw that coming? I know I didn't. Winterset had a great game plan and executed it to perfection. Watching it reminded me of Glenwood last year. They might not be the biggest but they wanted it more and just played harder than the opposition. Everyone on the SBL side, fans and players, seemed just stunned at the final whistle. Like they had no idea what just happened.

Wow, who saw that coming? I know I didn't. Winterset had a great game plan and executed it to perfection. Watching it reminded me of Glenwood last year. They might not be the biggest but they wanted it more and just played harder than the opposition. Everyone on the SBL side, fans and players, seemed just stunned at the final whistle. Like they had no idea what just happened.
The announcer did his usual “Do we have any fans here from...” Winterset was so loud then I waited for SBL to get their turn but they already had they were just so quiet and stunned I didn’t even notice them.

I’m sure there weren’t many fans on their side expecting that outcome or anything even close.

The tallest team in the state tournament has 0 point in the paint after 1 quarter. All points coming from 3 pointers.

16-12 Marion over Osky after 1

I wouldn’t say we underestimated them. I would say we just dont think they are on the same level as the other top 3 seeds. Although SBL lost so maybe were wrong

Marion is double and even triple teaming the two big men from Osky and it’s not hurting Marion at all. No one from Osky is cutting or moving to get open when those big guys are being surrounded. We will see if they adapt after halftime. Marion drains a three just before half.

32-22 Marion up at half

Oskaloosa is getting completely out coached. Marion is doing an excellent job clogging the paint and neutralizing Oskaloosa's size. Oskaloosa needs to make some big adjustments if they are going to win this.

Marion on an 8-0 run and leads Oskaloosa by 10 at the half. Very disappointed in Xavier Foster who seems to want to shoot threes and hasn't shown much of an inside gamer on offense. Marion is a very good team that took out out a good Maquoketa team and Wahlert in two squeakers to make state. Maybe Osky will just push it inside in the second half. Osky didn't look good in the first half, especially with so much talent. 32-22, Marion.

Marion with a layup at the buzzer. Osky has the athletes but Marion has the heart.

41-39 Marion after 3

Osky wins by 2. Marion has 49 seconds to tie after a timeout and they had 3 timeouts left. They dribbled and passed around till about 10 left and took a long three. I expected another timeout. Well played by Marion though.

Oskaloosa really stepped up it's defense in the 2nd half, holding Marion to 17 points. Can't really blame Foster for not being able to operate in the post. Everytime he entered the lane, with or without the ball, he was swarmed with bodies. Marion's strategy was to make Oskaloosa beat them from the perimeter. It was working until Oskaloosa started hitting some 3's and then Henry just took over. Great game!

It was a great game. I usually cheer for the underdog and I was hoping that Marion would hit a three at the end. Congrats to Osky. There is so much talent on that team that maybe we expect too much out of them. Guard-oriented teams look a lot smoother, and big-men oriented teams just look clunkier, but they got it done. On to the second round.

Yes, and they keep running the score up with their press. Poor sportsmanship, but he has to pad his son's stats.
Unfortunately there is another one coming so get used to even more fake stats. 250 assists lol, does this goofy coach actually believes anyone takes these numbers seriously. Upper Iowa is getting a good one though, cannot believe he picked Upper Iowa over Carolina and Kentucky.

Reactions: Pinehawk
The announcer did his usual “Do we have any fans here from...” Winterset was so loud then I waited for SBL to get their turn but they already had they were just so quiet and stunned I didn’t even notice them.

I’m sure there weren’t many fans on their side expecting that outcome or anything even close.
SBL fans were really ticked off about the officiating but think it had more to do with their losing and terrible shoot selection. Huge size advantage but never used it and lifted way too deep threes and were out rebounded badly.

Well Norwalk is not messing around today with a 30 point first quarter. Born with 13 already.
I told you. Norwalk is much improved and is rolling.Marion with a tough loss in first round again. Cole Henry came alive in 2nd half and 7 foot and 6'9 is just too much even if they settle for way too many threes. Winterset vs Osky will be fun, no one over 6'1 for Winterset vs those giants. Truly David vs Goliath.

Not sure why everyone was so high on Sgt. Bluff...they were a 3rd place MRAC team.....turn the ball over and play soft defense and you’re not gonna win any games.

He even crosses half court to play defense every once in awhile. I hope this bush league coach takes the Iowa City job and shows how good he is then.

Sioux City East vs. Cedar Falls should be a dilly. I'm going with Cedar Falls because I think the MVC was a hornets' nest all year, with no really bad teams in the 16-team league.

Last edited:
Not a close game so far. Cedar Falls much more disciplined.

Cedar Falls 63, Sioux City East 41. Never close. CF looks like they could repeat if they keep playing like this. Tremendous athletes.

Last edited:
33-19 Cedar Falls leads East.

East is gonna have to knock down some threes. Not sure they’ve hit one yet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT