ADVERTISEMENT

MAC predictions

Mar 14, 2008
Any thoughts on the MAC this year?
Top 3:
Bett - most experience in the conference
PV - plenty of solid players returning
Central - most of their starters are back

That looks correct. The other three Davenport schools are horrendous, Burlington had a couple seniors, Muscatine will be okay with Arceo, North Scott will stay the same at the middle of the pack, Clinton will be terrible again. Bett and PV are always solid, and yes Central has many talented players returning.

Will North Scott be any good this year? They surprised PV in the Sub-State last year. Do they have anyone coming back? The MAC race probably comes down to Bett and PV with Central 3rd like last year.

PV will be solid as always. Not bad for a school that has only 70% the enrollment of a Bettendorf. Good kids and solid coach. Today's paper has a small article about Fiscus being one of eight finalists for NATIONAL Coach of the Year. Not bad at all.

How many times has PV been to the state tournament? Hard to believe anyone could be a finalist for National Coach of the Year when the program he/she runs has never qualified for a state tournament. Things that make you go hmmm...

I do think PV will be a good team this year. Question is, can they finally beat Bettendorf?

You are right - PV has not been to State (according to IAHSAA) since at least 1999. But there are three key things to keep in mind here :

1) Substate pairings are done in a lazy fashion. They are set before the season begins and do not take into account rankings, win / loss, etc. - from either this year or the previous year. PV is almost always state ranked, but has the misfortune of being in the same substate bracket as Bettendorf. Not just this bracket is set up in this fashion, but all brackets around the state. Would make more sense to spread out the top teams in multiple brackets so that State Tournament was more representative of top talent and not just geographic pools.

2) Based on enrollment, PV is very close to being a 2A school in soccer. They have a lot less kids than Bettendorf. The only MAC 3A school with a smaller enrollment is North Scott. PV enrollment is only 834, Bettendorf has 1,169. The bigger the enrollment, the more you have an opportunity to get better athletes. FYI, the biggest schools in the MAC are Davenport West with 1,635 and Muscatine with 1,760.

3) PV has no true club feeder system. They "share" the BSA with Bettendorf - and, again, based on numbers of enrollment, most of the kids are Bettendorf kids.

I'm not arguing that Bettendorf doesn't do a great job - they do! Just saying that PV does more with less.

I agree that PV does great with less. They must have a pretty good coach. Coaching makes a world of difference at this level. On a side note, I find it interesting that Assumption dropped down to 1A for soccer this year. Their numbers must really be low. Also, I think Davenport North is smaller than PV. They may be closer to the size of North Scott.

FutbolFan you are so wrong, PV is 50/50 in the best feeder system of the MAC and that is the BSA. BSA isnt a Bett feeder, it is both Bett and PV. There is no excuses for PV never beating Bett in soccer except that they never get the job done. I do agree that Fiscus is a better coach then Pennington, I could coach at Bett and make the state tourney.

Hawkeye Denny - I have no problem being wrong, or even "so wrong" :)
(no harm, no foul, not offended)

I only based my comment on BSA having more players bound for Bettendorf based on HS enrollment (figuring that the numbers are younger ages would be the same). If those numbers are right, BSA would be about 60% Bettendorf, 40% PV.

You are right of course, BSA does have both PV and Bettendorf bound players. I didn't present that as well as I could have. Thank you for catching my error. I'm merely suggesting there might be more Bettendorf than PV, that's all.

I also agree that BSA is a tremendous feeder system, with high number of kids and well qualified coaches (plus a pretty decent complex).

Bettendorf hosts PV on Tuesday, May 5th. At that time, the debate on this thread is answered.
This post was edited on 2/22 9:28 PM by FutbolFan1

Several very solid players on both sides, but Matt Kraciun, who set PV's single season goals scored record last year is probably the only "standout."

bett, pv, and central are all returning a solid group of players.
this year should be a very tough fight for 1st in the conference

It will be a tight race. Central may have the best group of "star players". PV and Bettendorf both have great coaches so anything can happen. None of the teams have great keepers, though. My guess will be Central, Bettendorf, then PV. Muscatine could be a surprise team.

I expect all three of those teams to be at the top of the MAC. Any of those teams could win their conference this year. I think there is a significant drop off after Bett, PV, and Central though.

It will be fun to watch several conferences this year. Take a look at how competitive some of the states best conferences project to be. Are these the favorites heading into the season?

MAC: Bett, PV, Davenport Central. Sleeper - Muscatine.

Mississippi Valley: Iowa City West. Sleepers - City High, CR Kennedy, CR Washington.

CIML Metro: Des Moines Hoover, Des Moines Roosevelt

CIML Central: Dowling Catholic, Ankeny. Sleepers - Urbandale, Johnston

CIML Iowa: Valley, Waukee. Sleeper - Ames

i'm gonna have to say bett,central,pv... it seems as it will be close with the top three and the rest of the conference has a ways to go

central has the best group of star players? Who do they have that are better than players on bettendorf and pv? besides mims who is signing with drake

i heard that junior emilio arroyro "god of the midfield" has been recruited by wartburg luther and loras on a full ride, and even the creighton assitant came to witness his ability at one of his club games. His speed is incredible and his shot accuracy is top notch definetly a player to look out for this year

Wartburg, Luther, and Loras do not offer athletic scholarships let alone full-rides. I guess what you've "heard" is wrong.

I apologize about that i thought what i heard was true because i heard it from a source very close to emilio and that it was reliable my apologies..
This post was edited on 3/4 6:33 PM by showtime...baby

Based on the Central players who made all state last year, I would say Mims, Capper, Cainright, and Pena are Central's best players. I agree that both Bettendorf and PV also have great players so there should be some close games in the MAC.

Canright didnt make state but all conference honors. Games between all top three teams will be good. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top when Central plays PV and Bett at brady stadium.

i know central has a solid center midfielder in Bjourn Rider.. He's definetly got some foot skills and kills defenses with cheeky play and passes.. Not to mention the boy is getting some wheels

well it seems like central has a solid lineup but they have never been to state before...do they actually have a legit chance or is this all just preseason hype?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT