ADVERTISEMENT

Look ahead to 2012-13

I'll comment regarding Jeff's 5A rangkings (listed below)...

CLASS 5A 2011-12 W-L 2012 Postseason
1. Southeast Polk 24-2 4A state semifinalist
2. Mason City 21-3 4A state qualifier
3. Muscatine 19-4 4A regional finalist
4. Des Moines East 15-6 4A regional finalist
5. Waukee 19-6 4A state semifinalist
6. Iowa City High 17-7 4A state qualifier
7. Cedar Rapids Prairie 12-10 4A regional finalist
8. Ames 16-8 4A state qualifier
9. Iowa City West 25-1 4A state champion
10. Pleasant Valley 11-11 4A regional quarterfinalist

10 others to watch (in alphabetic order): Ankeny (22-4), Bettendorf (13-10), Cedar Falls (13-10), Cedar Rapids Jefferson (9-14), Cedar Rapids Kennedy (13-10), Cedar Rapids Washington (14-8), Dubuque Senior (10-13), Linn-Mar (10-12), Waterloo West (13-10), West Des Moines Valley (14-9).

For the most part I like his picks with the following exceptions:

4. Des Moines East - even though they return everyone on their roster, I just do not think they will improve enough to be rated this high. They'll get 10-12 wins versus metro conference teams (CIML realignment begins this fall) but Indianola could challenge them for the conference title. They'd be in my teams to watch list.

8. Ames - they lose 3 starters including 2 that accounted for more than 20 points a game. Best outside shooter graduates as well. They will have strong post play but I don't think that is enough to keep them in the top 10. Another team to watch.

9. Iowa City West - first of all, congrats to the state champs. Their best player returns but of the other 7 girls that played in that state championshlp game, all will have graduated. Four new faces will need to step up. Another team to watch.

West Des Moines Valley - they were a young but competive team last year starting 2 freshmen and a sophomore at the end of the season with numerous other freshmen and sophs seeing action. I'd make them my #10.

That leaves me with a top 10 with only 8 teams in it...

What are some of the schools throughout the state will be sharing sports for next year? Any that you have heard of??

Mason City should be tough, and Powell has a talented young team though maybe a year away. Depending on how WDM Valley's new coach comes in, they could be a factor. Unless Borrison sticks around SEP, they may drop a little in Jeff's rankings. His home is for sale as he has recently announced to the team, a parent of his is ill, and his wife has never really settled in the area. North Scott Eldrige has been mentioned behind closed doors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT