ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln-Dowling targeting

Saw the video. Probably helmet-to-helmet, but not definitely. But even if it wasn't, the defensive player launched to target the head of the runner. This isn't some situation where there were multiple tacklers and/or blockers in the area or the runner's head changed levels vertically. The football play clearly would have been to tackle through the near hip of the runner as he is taught to do, and the tackler clearly chose to go at his head instead. Rarely have I seen a clearer case of targeting with intent, and if that wasn't worthy of a flag then it should never be called.

For those outside the center of the state, who targeted who?
Lincoln's QB scrambled to his right and started to run upfield, in open space with no one around him, when a Dowling player made a break to tackle him, and instead of wrapping up, he extended his body (though without jumping) and delivered either a shoulder or helmet shot to the Lincoln player's head. The Dowling player turned sideways, but still had his head down on contact. It was a clear case of targeting, but the officials didn't throw the flag.

The Lincoln sideline was obviously upset, however an assistant coach for Lincoln crossed the line when he ran out onto the field and confronted the official and made several threats towards him, and had to be restrained multiple times. This assistant is also the QB's father, and the Lincoln QB had suffered a concussion from a helmet to helmet collision the season before (though there's no mention of the circumstances surrounding that previous case).

It was a case of an angry parent taking out his frustrations on an official that missed the call.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Thank you for the link. My first reaction is that's about as text book helmet to helmet as you can get. I've seen cases where targeting was called (in a college game) and the replay shows the tackler had his head down and therefore couldn't see the runner move his head, thus causing an inadvertent helmet to helmet. But this video clearly shows the tackler launching headfirst into the runner, almost a headbutt tackle (don't remember that drill in the USA "heads up":). Well having an official miss a call against Dowling is certainly nothing new but the coach's reaction was bound to land him in hot water.

Here is another view from the other side of the field. Its at the 1:13:37 mark. You can slow it down. This was similar to the view the referee had.

Last edited:
Let's remember, the referee crew are not Dowling alums and also dont want kids hurt. Also not their first game. If you suspend that crew, will that really do anything?

It is unfortunate for sure. It also sounds like the Dowling kid that made the hit did not return to the game, so their coaches acknowledge their player either made a bad hit or were keeping him off the field to prevent retaliation.

Bad hit for sure and excessive as the Dowling kid could have clearly tackled the waist, but targeting is not in the high school rule book....however it is in both college and NFL.

The correct call would have been unsportsmanlike conduct or more likely personal foul.

I'm sorry, but there is no doubt that was targeting. That view makes it look even worse.

Bad hit for sure and excessive as the Dowling kid could have clearly tackled the waist, but targeting is not in the high school rule book....however it is in both college and NFL.

The correct call would have been unsportsmanlike conduct or more likely personal foul.
I believe it is in the rulebook and if the penalty was called in that game, the player would have to sit out the following game as well

Just a crazy dad/coach acting like an idiot. Even if it was targeting no right to run on the field and threaten the life of the referee. Guy should be in prison for 5 years and the school should have to forfeit their remaining games.

I believe it is in the rulebook and if the penalty was called in that game, the player would have to sit out the following game as well

Targeting is certainly in the high school rule book however the penalty does not include disqualification (unless it is determined by the official to be malicious in nature) as it does in college or the NFL.

The penalty in HS is a 15 yard personal foul penalty.

Again, if the official determines the hit to be malicious enough in nature, the official does have the discretion to disqualify a player for targeting. But it is not automatic in HS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT