ADVERTISEMENT

Late November Scores and Comments

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
In a couple days I'd like to post my early 3A and 4A top ten predictions, but the games get off to a hiccuping start pretty darned quick. Post any scores, comments, news and predictions here.

Coach Craig Wurdinger's Davenport Central Blue Devils upend Dubuque Hempstead 68- 62 in Dubuque. 6-5 sophomore Michael Duax's 18 led the young Mustangs.

Baxter 66, GMG 48

Baxter was up by 27 with 2 min and pulled the starters.

Gradview clearly has talent, but they looked very sloppy in the video. Also lack the shooting they have had in the past. They should get their eyes opened on Saturday.

Big one in 3A in Davenport tonight. Dubuque Wahlert, with juniors scoring all but four points for the Eagles, upset Davenport Assumption, 62-61, as junior guards Jake Shockemoehl had 26 and Isaac Ripley had 16. Wahlert led at the half, but it was a back-and-forth nail-biter much of the game. Knights were led by Villainis with 22. Good road win for Wahlert, which also won the soph game 44- 29..

In another huge game out west, Spirit Lake topped SC Heelan, 65- 58.
Charles City 70, Aplington- Parkersburg 66
Crestwood 65, N. Fayette Valley 46
Alburnett 56, Iowa Valley 13
City High, Iowa City 58, Muscatine 15 acc. to IHSAA
IF- Alden 61, N. Polk 52
Storm Lake 78, Dennison- Schlesweg 66
Mason City 83, New Hampton 78
Hinton 67 Woodbury Central 55

Last edited:
Gradview clearly has talent, but they looked very sloppy in the video. Also lack the shooting they have had in the past. They should get their eyes opened on Saturday.

2 min left in 3rd, it's 41-36 ICW

that score does not surprise me at all. grandview has 3 to 4 very good players who can matchup with anyone including iowa city west. however as the game went on west used there depth to there advantage. grandview has pretty much no depth even in class 1A standards and that’s going to be there biggest problem moving forward. hopefully i can catch one of there games as they are extremely fun to watch

Reactions: iowalongs230
Shouldn’t they be named Grandview Prep Academy? It always helps when you can recruit worldwide. For Christian reasons of course. I don’t mind in state kids moving around, but when you start going out of the country to get players, yeah.....

having graduated from a catholic school I will admit that it frustrates me that teams like grandview do this. It gives catholic schools like us bad raps even though we do not recruit at all. very frustrating

Shouldn’t they be named Grandview Prep Academy? It always helps when you can recruit worldwide. For Christian reasons of course. I don’t mind in state kids moving around, but when you start going out of the country to get players, yeah.....
Same game with different rules!!!

IC West did the same thing, pulling a kid from a catholic school and plugging him right into their starting lineup.
So, everyone is doing it at this point.

I know everyone wants to assume that the only possible explanation for Grand View's success is "recruiting." It can't be that kids and parents actually choose to send their kids to a school for other reasons such as spiritual focus, caring teachers, academics, and extracurricular opportunities including a basketball coach that is an encourager and plays a fun brand of basketball.

Do you have any proof that Grand View has recruited players?

Do you know the actual stories of the kids in question? Do you want to know, or just throw out accusations?

Are you arguing that schools should only be allowed to use kids who grew up their entire lives in that particular city?

Are any of you prepared to argue that if any of these kids showed up at your favorite school to enroll and play basketball, that they would be turned away because they're from a different country?

It’s also very hard for an international student to attend public school and play sports as the visa allows for 1 year in public. This is why more international kids are in private schools.

Keep in mind, on these same message boards people are expressing shock that these kids with D-1 talent are attending a 1-A school. That is a legitimate point, why would they do that when they could attend Dowling, for example?

Well, perhaps it's because there is more to their choice than simply which school will give them the biggest stage to play basketball on. Maybe there are other factors involved like the ones I listed in my above post.

there are multiple players for us who all played on the All Iowa attack AAU team and spent nites in hotels with them. they are not shy. they came to grandview christian because there adoptive father went there. They are there to play basketball. they aren’t there for spiritual education, teachers, world class college prep or anything in between. they are there to play basketball. wether right or wrong, it does rub people the wrong way. i don’t blame them for doing it, but it is a little frustrating. there are 4-5 teams that would win 1A in many years prior but now it’s pretty much 2-3 teams that even have a shot at competing with grandview. i will say however if i were given there situation, i would most definitely want those 2 kids playing for me. there both great people and play there butts off

It’s also very hard for an international student to attend public school and play sports as the visa allows for 1 year in public. This is why more international kids are in private schools.

Not exactly true. They are allowed to play more than one year in a public school. Ask Sigourney high school how it works.

IC West did the same thing, pulling a kid from a catholic school and plugging him right into their starting lineup.
So, everyone is doing it at this point.
At least it’s from the same state.....and country...or in this instance...community.

there are multiple players for us who all played on the All Iowa attack AAU team and spent nites in hotels with them. they are not shy. they came to grandview christian because there adoptive father went there. They are there to play basketball. they aren’t there for spiritual education, teachers, world class college prep or anything in between. they are there to play basketball. wether right or wrong, it does rub people the wrong way. i don’t blame them for doing it, but it is a little frustrating. there are 4-5 teams that would win 1A in many years prior but now it’s pretty much 2-3 teams that even have a shot at competing with grandview. i will say however if i were given there situation, i would most definitely want those 2 kids playing for me. there both great people and play there butts off

Of course they are there for basketball. Anyone claiming otherwise is blowing smoke. My question is why would you want them on your team? Just to win games? To prove what a great coach you are? What about the kids already in your program for years busting their butts? Last I checked it is the Iowa high school athletic association..if we want to open it up internationally let’s do it. But let’s just call it what it is....and get rid of high school athletics and play club sports for high performing athletes. High schools can play intramurals. Let the clubs finance their elite teams and recruit anywhere you want....no rules.

At least it’s from the same state.....and country...or in this instance...community.

That's worse in my mind. Plenty easy to hop across town or a neighboring community any more. Just to chase playing for a better team or more exposure.

Another thing entirely to uproot family and move to Iowa from another state or another country. Much bigger sacrifice by the family and a benefit overall to the State. Which has been losing young people and consolidating schools.

Grand View Christian has a robust international student program. I cant remember the exact number this year, but it's from 12-15 students. Over half of them are from China, in fact for the last 4 years our family has hosted Chinese students in our home. Only 3 of the international students play on the varsity boys basketball team.

But I guess some think we should tell them all to go back where they came from because hey, we only want Americans in our school.

Last edited:
That's worse in my mind. Plenty easy to hop across town or a neighboring community any more. Just to chase playing for a better team or more exposure.

Another thing entirely to uproot family and move to Iowa from another state or another country. Much bigger sacrifice by the family and a benefit overall to the State. Which has been losing young people and consolidating schools.
Ummm...Iowa's population is growing and Des Moines especially is booming. It is the small towns which make up 1A basketball that are losing people and needing to consolidate. Not sure how a Des Moines school bringing in kids to beat them in basketball is a "benefit" to them.

I have been following Iowa high school basketball for a long time and can not remember anything even close to comparable to what Grand View is doing. Sure kids transfer schools all the time. Sometimes purely for basketball reasons. But the number and type of transfers Grand View has received these last few years is unprecedented as far as I can remember, especially for a 1A program. Now I don't know what is all happening behind the scenes and maybe are there are some legit reasons for these kids transferring in, but you have to acknowledge that for the majority of the state it is going to rub people the wrong way. 1A basketball is almost entirely small town teams and here you have a Des Moines school transferring in D1 talent from out of state and dominating the competition. It just looks bad to a neutral observer.

Sarcastico, I totally get that. The one thing I will say is since the school was reorganized in 2014, it has grown from 260 K-12 to a current enrollment right around 400. So all kinds of students are transferring to GVC from various schools for a variety of reasons. The band is larger and sounds better but no one is suspicious of all the "transfers" in that case. :) (I'm being a bit facetious, I get that it's different than sports.)

I'm just asking that folks would consider the possibility that many families are choosing to send their kids to the school for various reasons, including some to play basketball. But again I get that on the surface it would cause many to question it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT