ADVERTISEMENT

Lakes Conference

sarcastico

Freshman
Oct 6, 2003
Looks to be another year of Western and Spirit Lake battling it out for the title. Big 1 point win for Western last night over Spirit Lake to give them the early edge. I expect Spirit Lake to look to avenge that loss when they play Western at their place. The big question is will either team slip up and find another conference loss along the way?

Lemars and Storm Lake are the most likely spoilers as both have solid squads once again. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them pull an upset or two. Especially on their home courts, two very hard places to play.

Western won a close one against Spirit Lake.
I could easily see them splitting, & whoever doesn't have a hiccup will win the title.

Player to watch will be Jr Jacob Vis, who outplayed D1 prospect Coburn most of the night.
Played a support role last year, but will be a 1st team all-stater & lead Western for the next 2.
Multiple good shooters and lots of size.
Western is having to go into South Dakota to find quality opponents who will play them, so hard to forecast their overall record. They might be the spoiler in 2A District 1 instead of the favorite this year.

IMO, the Lakes Conf will disband within 2 years.

Don't count out Le Mars. Outside of last season, it was always Le Mars and Western going 1 & 2 with Spirit Lake somewhere behind. LeMars doesn't have the height that they had in 2015 but they have some good pure shooters. Could definitely be a spoiler.

Storm Lake also is 5-0 for the first time since the early 90's I believe. Impressive!

Also, VanderHoops, your fear about the Lakes Conference disbanding within a couple of years might not be wrong.

The MRAC has sent a letter out to Le Mars Community inviting them to join. They also sent out letters to Glenwood and Council Bluffs Lewis Central, trying to get the conference to 10 teams. Most people, myself included, have been wanting Le Mars to jump to MRAC for quite a few years now, as I have mentioned on here many times. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Le Mars, 2 others asked to join MRAC - Sioux City Journal

Agreed, you can never count out Le Mars. Looks like we will learn a lot about both them and Storm Lake in a big game tonight at Lemars.

I can see Le Mars leaving for the MRAC. It just makes sense for them. Which of course would be bad news for the rest of the Lakes. The big question if it were to disband is where would the teams go. The Siouxland would makes sense for Western but I don't think they would let them join. The 3A schools are out in no mans land without any great options. They would either have to join a 1A/2A conference or travel really long distances. Will be interesting indeed.

Agreed, you can never count out Le Mars. Looks like we will learn a lot about both them and Storm Lake in a big game tonight at Lemars.

I can see Le Mars leaving for the MRAC. It just makes sense for them. Which of course would be bad news for the rest of the Lakes. The big question if it were to disband is where would the teams go. The Siouxland would makes sense for Western but I don't think they would let them join. The 3A schools are out in no mans land without any great options. They would either have to join a 1A/2A conference or travel really long distances. Will be interesting indeed.
I know in the past they have said that the Siouxland Conference did not want teams from the same town. Now whether that is still the case now or not I don't know.

I know in the past they have said that the Siouxland Conference did not want teams from the same town. Now whether that is still the case now or not I don't know.

The Siouxland doesn’t want Western because they take kids from like five school districts in the Siouxland.

Le Mars rolled previously-undefeated Storm Lake 76-34 tonight.

Re: MRAC... Glenwood and Lewis Central both have announced that they are declining the offer to join the MRAC.

I know the Siouxland has an anti private school history, but if a major conference disbanded you would see added pressure on the schools that were anti Western. The War Eagle is too big already. Where does Western go? Do they pull a Notre Dame and have no conference? I'm still a fan of making the Siouxland a super conference adding Unity and Western and sending the bottom feeders like Sibley and Boji to the lakes.

I'm still a fan of making the Siouxland a super conference adding Unity and Western and sending the bottom feeders like Sibley and Boji to the lakes.

I'd love to see this, but no way it happens unless Boone steps in and forces it. Sioux Center refuses to play Western and Sheldon left the lakes to get away from Western, no way they'd get voted in. I think you'd be better off trying to add Unity to the Lakes if Le Mars leaves. They desperately need out of the War Eagle. If the Lakes does disband, Western would be better off trying to get into the MRC rather than going it alone. The Council Bluffs trips would suck, but having to play Sioux Falls Roosevelt on a Saturday afternoon to fill the schedule is not much fun either.

#9 Le Mars takes down #8 Spirit Lake in a Lakes Conference battle between ranked teams 54-45. It was pretty close most of the night, with LeMars leading by a few points most of the game. LeMars pulled away in the second half to lead by as much as 11 before ending with the final margin of 9. LeMars hosts #3 Bishop Heelan on Thursday. Big week for the Dogs.

Reactions: tantrent
I'd love to see this, but no way it happens unless Boone steps in and forces it. Sioux Center refuses to play Western and Sheldon left the lakes to get away from Western, no way they'd get voted in. I think you'd be better off trying to add Unity to the Lakes if Le Mars leaves. They desperately need out of the War Eagle. If the Lakes does disband, Western would be better off trying to get into the MRC rather than going it alone. The Council Bluffs trips would suck, but having to play Sioux Falls Roosevelt on a Saturday afternoon to fill the schedule is not much fun either.

I doubt the MRC would take Western either. The 4A Sioux City schools also took Western off their schedules. It just didn't make sense for them to play a 2A school, especially one that often beat them. I could see the Lakes adding Unity. Would be a good move for both.

Impressive win for Le Mars. It definitely looks like a three team race in the conference with Storm Lake loosing handily to Le Mars and Western. I could see those three all splitting their series so it might come down to whoever can get a road win against the others will win the title. Which puts Spirit Lake at a big disadvantage going forward. They will need to make sure they win out at home to even have a chance.

It was a very close game last year, but I think both squads lost key pieces to graduation. Should be fun to watch at least.

I second the notion that Unity needs to get out of the War Eagle. Has anyone considered the option of the growing West Sioux to leave for another conference? They gained 40 BEDS this last year

I'm a old lakes conference guy. I thought Iowa got rid of conferences years ago. Who it in the lakes conference now and where did Sheldon go.

I'm a old lakes conference guy. I thought Iowa got rid of conferences years ago. Who it in the lakes conference now and where did Sheldon go.

Cherokee, Storm Lake, Spirit Lake, LeMars, Estherville, Spencer and Western Christian are the current schools in the Lakes. Emmetsburg left for the Twin Lakes Conference this year. Sheldon left in 2009 for the Siouxland Conference.
It sounds like Estherville also wants out of the Lakes and LeMars may join the Missouri River Conference which would put the viability of the Lakes Conference in jeopardy.

I thought Sibley was in it also. They must have added Lemars and Western. They were not in it back then.

I thought Sibley was in it also. They must have added Lemars and Western. They were not in it back then.

Sibley (Sibley-Ocheyedan) left the Lakes in 1990 and joined the Siouxland.
LeMars joined in 1993.
Western joined in 1997.

LeMars at Western tonight for control of the Lakes top spot.

LeMars knocked off undefeated Sioux Center earlier this week. Chance to pin the first loss on Western tonight.
Western beat a good Unity team last night & hasn't lost in a year. They seem to be playing just good enough to win all season, but never really look dominant.

Unity actually led at the half and did a nice job on controlling the tempo.
Western came out in the second half and some big buckets by Harmsen and dunk by Jacob Vis really swung the momentum to Western.

Agree that they don't look overpowering and Lemars should give them a run tonight.

Odd to be standing in the balcony near Sioux Center's coach, who was filming the whole game with his phone. A little tacky!

Unity actually led at the half and did a nice job on controlling the tempo.
Western came out in the second half and some big buckets by Harmsen and dunk by Jacob Vis really swung the momentum to Western.

Agree that they don't look overpowering and Lemars should give them a run tonight.

Odd to be standing in the balcony near Sioux Center's coach, who was filming the whole game with his phone. A little tacky!

Just curious, why do you feel that is tacky? Coaches scout other teams all the time. Is using a phone any different than using a camcorder?

Reactions: deeds8116
LeMars is going through some growing pains right now. Right before what was expected to be a marquee match up at the CNOS classic in Sioux City with Sioux City East, LeMars's leading scorer and one of their best defenders, Will Pottebaum, got hurt during warm ups. He is out for at least the rest of the regular season. WIthout him or a gameplan to compete without him, LeMars really struggled against East. LeMars did manage to rally from 16 down to knock off #2 and undefeated Sioux Center on the back of Dylan Rarrat-Kass's ridiculous 3 point shooting, but against Western they did not have such luck and ultimately lost by 19. LeMars is not as good of a team without Will. It's a shame, as LeMars was having a nice season and had a good shot to make some noise come postseason time.

LeMars is going through some growing pains right now. Right before what was expected to be a marquee match up at the CNOS classic in Sioux City with Sioux City East, LeMars's leading scorer and one of their best defenders, Will Pottebaum, got hurt during warm ups. He is out for at least the rest of the regular season.
Did I hear correct that he got hurt because they hadn't covered the hockey ice at the edge of the court?

Could definitely tell something was missing. Losing your go-to scorer is tough. LeMars couldn't really match up with Western's size.
Girl's game was exciting to watch though!

Western play at Spirit Lake Tuesday. A sweep of Spirit Lake will put them in the driver's seat for the conference title.
They play the defending SD class A champs, Tea, SD on Friday.

Did I hear correct that he got hurt because they hadn't covered the hockey ice at the edge of the court?

Could definitely tell something was missing. Losing your go-to scorer is tough. LeMars couldn't really match up with Western's size.
Girl's game was exciting to watch though!

Western play at Spirit Lake Tuesday. A sweep of Spirit Lake will put them in the driver's seat for the conference title.
They play the defending SD class A champs, Tea, SD on Friday.
Tea would still be the #1 team probably, but lost their best player to a partially torn MCL. He is out for the year most likely. They are pretty much a shell of themselves now. It won't be much of a game.

Another big win for Western last night winning at Spirit Lake. They seem to be getting better as the season goes on. Clearly in the drivers seat for the conference now.

Tea would still be the #1 team probably, but lost their best player to a partially torn MCL. He is out for the year most likely. They are pretty much a shell of themselves now. It won't be much of a game.

So did this kid play against WC last Friday? I wasn't at the game but my kids told me about a kid that came off the bench and dropped 38 points and was cashing in from 30ft.

So did this kid play against WC last Friday? I wasn't at the game but my kids told me about a kid that came off the bench and dropped 38 points and was cashing in from 30ft.
Yes. Best player I've seen this year.
Range is anywhere over the 1/2 line!

Crazy game. Down 10 early, then up 10 late. Freidel kid almost came back an won it by himself at the end for Tea.
Western held on to get the W.

Yes, only ended up being a strain and w asnt even 100%. He's a great player.

Reactions: VanderHoops
Unless something crazy happens tonight, Cherokee beating Western, it looks like Western has the conference all wrapped up being undefeated thus far with LeMars in 2nd sitting on 2 losses.

Reactions: VanderHoops
Unless something crazy happens tonight, Cherokee beating Western, it looks like Western has the conference all wrapped up being undefeated thus far with LeMars in 2nd sitting on 2 losses.
Western locked up the title with an easy win.

Possible that they could lose their last 3 to end the season:
A really good Madison, SD team tonight at the Petagon (awesome facility for hoops)
End the conference schedule with a good LeMars team.
#1 & undefeated Sioux Falls Christian to end the season.

They may not enter post-season undefeated, but they'll be battle-hardened!

Western locked up the title with an easy win.

Possible that they could lose their last 3 to end the season:
A really good Madison, SD team tonight at the Petagon (awesome facility for hoops)
End the conference schedule with a good LeMars team.
#1 & undefeated Sioux Falls Christian to end the season.

They may not enter post-season undefeated, but they'll be battle-hardened!

What’s the story on the Lakes for next year? Will Western be looking at moving conferences? Any inside info Vander?

What’s the story on the Lakes for next year? Will Western be looking at moving conferences? Any inside info Vander?
Have not heard much, but doubt there will be any changes by next year. Long-term? I think definitely.
The loss of Emmetsburg from last year opened up the schedule to trade 2 really good opponents for 2 cupcake wins (went 1-1).

As long as we can find good team willing to play us, a smaller conference is good for Western competition-wise.
If teams are scared/refuse to play us, it won't be a good thing, since it will mean excessive travel and an odd-night schedule.

The school board of Le Mars Community Schools discussed potentially moving to the MRAC conference from the Lakes Conference. They were shown two presentations: pros and cons. Most members/athletic & activity officials seem to be leaning toward moving to the MRAC. The school board wants to hear more from the athletic and activities directors; they also are going to gather opinions from the public as well. Not sure if it will happen, but Le Mars is very seriously looking into it.

I totally get why Le Mars would do this but it is a big blow to the Lakes. Definitely hurts the overall quality of the conference as Le Mars is one of the best teams year in and year out. I don't think the Lakes can add anyone of Le Mars' level.

Sad to see the end of a partnership that has been wonderful and filled with great memories. I would not have wanted my high school days to have been filled with intense games against anyone other than Western, Spencer, Storm Lake, etc. But things have changed over the last half decade and this is the smartest choice for Le Mars and their future in athletics and other activities. Will be interesting to see how long it takes Le Mars to acclimate to the new conference across all sports.

Reactions: sarcastico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT