ADVERTISEMENT

Josh VanLingen

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
'16 Western Christian F Josh VanLingen went over the 1,000 pt mark last night and broke the school's rebounding record.

Special night in Hull with Josh hitting 1000 pts as a junior, along with 2 hitting 1000 in the girl's game:
Jamie Gesinik for Western & Ashton Connelly for Emmetsburg.

Van Lingen is having a great year again. Averaged a double-double as a sophomore & doing it again this year despite getting double-teamed every night. Great hands & a high BB IQ.

Great player. Has he already committed to Dordt? A player of his caliber, just wondering if he has aspirations of playing D1?

Has WC had any athletes go to the D1 level? I know the talent has been there but the kids never seem to really hit the AAU circuit in order to play in front of those larger schools.

Congrats to Josh! Very smart player who is always around the ball. Josh and Western play very hard and are a class act.

Originally posted by LukeFeddersen:
Has WC had any athletes go to the D1 level? I know the talent has been there but the kids never seem to really hit the AAU circuit in order to play in front of those larger schools.
The only one I can recall is Mading Thok, who played a year for Western, then went to Ball State.
There have been several who've gone D2 (Nathan Mulder, Justin Van Meeteran, Stacy Kooistra?)

I know a lot of them have gotten D1 attention & I think guys like Trevor Wolterstorff & Michael Eekhoff could have had a decent career with a team like UNI.
I think a lot of them choose to stay close to home because it's easy to play in front of family/friends, they see the value a small, faith-based school provides, and they just flat out like to play (why not be a big fish in a small pond that gets to play 25+ minutes from game 1 as a freshman instead of redshirting, riding the pine for 2-3 years with hopes of being a role-player.)
The GPAC is also a high level of hoops night-in night-out.

Originally posted by Jay Banager:
Great player. Has he already committed to Dordt? A player of his caliber, just wondering if he has aspirations of playing D1?
I don't think he's made any commitments.
I heard he plays AAU with a team out of South Dakota, which a lot less travel time than going to Des Moines weekly.

I think he'd fit in pretty well playing power forward at a D2 school like Augie or Wayne State,
He can shoot the three pretty well, just isn't called to do it much with this year's lineup.

Luke, as far as I know the only D1 player to come from Western was Mading Thok. But as you probably remember he only came to Western after he had to leave Sioux City East, which is really where his recruiting was done. I am pretty sure I remember there being a Western player go on to play D2 ball in the late 90's but other than that it is pretty much just Dordt that Western kids go on to play for. Western has had a couple players that I thought had the talent to play at a higher college level but as you said just don't hit the AAU circuit very hard.

Great regular season for Josh!
Closed out by carrying his team against a really good Sioux Falls Christian.

To say Josh is consistent is an understatement.
He didn't just average a double-double. He had a double-double in every game but 1-2 where he was pulled early because of a giant lead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT