ADVERTISEMENT

Johnston - Bobby Sandquist situation

I would say handled very poorly by the school district. It seems to me that for whatever reason they were against someone retiring early and continuing to coach. If that's simply the case, they should have told Coach Sandquist up front the job would be filled before July 1.

I also could have done without the holier than thou-speak on "if other schools are breaking the rules..." part of the statement. 90% of the time, schools know who they are hiring for teaching or coaching jobs before the interview process starts. Spare us the rhetoric.

Reactions: Anonymous111
I've meant to ask this for a while; if it's in the article I missed it. Was Johnston not having a summer program during all of this? If they were, was Sandquist running it assuming he was going to be the HC again? Was the assistant who was eventually hired running it?

I am in the minority here. He retired from his positions. Then wanted to come back as a coach.

Sorry, but let the next guy in.

This happens everywhere. I have been a teacher in a couple different districts for the past 15 years and have heard of numerous situations where someone retires and then gets the coaching gig back after the time passes required for ipers. This was handled in an odd way to say the least

I am in the minority here. He retired from his positions. Then wanted to come back as a coach.

Sorry, but let the next guy in.

I actually don't disagree with you. But, as the practice has become somewhat common, I think the school should have told Sandquist the job would be filled before he could re-apply or even just tell him he wouldn't be rehired. At the very least, have a plan and don't be so dramatic as to fill it literally right before he could have re-applied.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
I agree. It isnt uncommon to have a coach retire from teaching, then return as the coach.

I have to think there is more to the story than what we are hearing.

I actually don't disagree with you. But, as the practice has become somewhat common, I think the school should have told Sandquist the job would be filled before he could re-apply or even just tell him he wouldn't be rehired. At the very least, have a plan and don't be so dramatic as to fill it literally right before he could have re-applied.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT