ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Giannettino High Jump

ORSKY1

Varsity
Oct 19, 2001
Jeff from Burlington Notre Dame cleared 6' 9" on Monday night and nearly cleared 6' 11" clipping the bar with his heal on the way down. Only a sophomore, Jeff looks to be the clear leader in the High Jump for his class and was this years Drake Relays winner.

Don't get me wrong, the kid can jump. To say he is "the clear leader", is a bit bold, in my opinion, considering he's only tied for first in his class. When kids start jumping that high, it's usually who's the best on that particular day, it's still anyone's title to take.

Originally posted by Cardinal2012:
Don't get me wrong, the kid can jump. To say he is "the clear leader", is a bit bold, in my opinion, considering he's only tied for first in his class. When kids start jumping that high, it's usually who's the best on that particular day, it's still anyone's title to take.

Exactly. I bet Braydee Poore has something to say about him being "the clear leader." It should be an entertaining high jump competition at State, though. No doubt about that.

I don't want to attack the post by Orsky but I agree there is never a clear favorite in High Jump. High Jump is different then other sports. You would figure he would be in the mix being the Drake champion. I noticed there is 5 guys who have cleared 6'5 or better. I hope I'm there to watch it. It amazes me what these kids can do jumping over the bar. Its a beatiful site.

You guys are playing semantics. There are definitely favorites in every event, including high jump. I believe the collection of jumps made this year by Jeff make him the clear favorite. The fact that he is the Drake champion and jumped well against excellent competition in a very competitive environment speaks even more for his response to tense situations. That's my opinion.

Braydee is a good jumper and a senior. Hopefully he finishes his career strong. Jeff is a good jumper and a sophomore. He has a lot of opportunity ahead of him. Both have jumped 3 inches higher than anyone else in the class. Good luck to both.

Jeff won the District meet tonight with a jump of 6' 10". Consistently over 6' 8". His clearance at 6' 10" ranks him 6th in the nation this year.
This post was edited on 5/9 10:04 PM by ORSKY1

Yeah, but it's not like Braydee Poore just wilts in big meets. He's a former Drake Relays runner-up, placed third this year, former state meet runner-up and finished runner-up at this year's Kansas Relays. Not to mention Braydee's pretty consistent, himself.

Like I said in my previous post, it's going to be an entertaining battle at state. It's one of the events I'm most looking forward to watching. Should be fun. Hopefully they push each other to new heights.

ba dum tss

Braydee is also a former state meet champion as well. You also have to remember (according to quikstats) Braydee and Jeff both started the year at 6'6 before moving up rather quickly to 6'8-6'9 height. Both of those jumpers are from the south edge of the state and schools from the north may be able to make the same increase when they get a shot at fair weather jumping. I'm not trying to take away from Jeff, I'm just hoping he doesn't think he has it wrapped up as much as you seem to think he does. Best of luck to both of them at the state meet.

Neither of the jumpers think they have anything wrapped up (don't forget defending state champion from monticello). They all respect each other and are aware that whoever is on that day will win. You will have to be at your best that day. Good post so far on postive comments about the jumpers. Lets keep it that way. I will be there watching always a great event.

Cardinal, I never said anything about having anything wrapped up. That is you trying to be petty. I only commented that he is my favorite in this event. His jump last night of 6' 10" in less than idealic weather was a great effort. Good luck to all competitors.

I apologize if I offended you, that's my fault, it's how I interpret "the clear favorite". When I think of one guy or relay to be the clear favorite I think of a situation like the Monticello 4x800 or Eischeid in the 400 in 1A. Just the difference between "the" and "a" and throwing in clear. When I ask myself if Jeff is "a" favorite, I say absolutely. When I ask myself "the" favorite, I say probably, but to me, it is definitely not a clear decision. Just how I interpret the phrase is all. It's also always good to remember, especially as an athlete, that even the clear favorite or best guy/team don't always win. A recent example: 1A State Record in the prelims by Madrid shuttle hurdle to lose in the finals. It all comes down to who's the best on that particular day, which is a statement I think we all agree on and we all hope everyone jumps their best.

Like I said, semantics. It's my opinion and you can't really change with all of your a, the, etc, etc, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT