ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Coaches Association playoffs

franky1967

Varsity
Aug 9, 2006
It appears that the Iowa Coaches Association will ask the Iowa Association to expand the playoffs to 24teams for 2020.

I dont think I have ever seen the Athletic Association not follow through with a recommendation.

With that being said anything in the playoffs can be changed if enough coaches vote in one direction.

With that many teams in the playoffs I could see them going back to the East\West split and then reseed the Semifinals and what ever happens happens

I like the idea of a bye week if they follow through because I suggested that months ago.

However, I'm not sure if they will let one class do 24formatt and the others a 32. Usually the state will keep the formatt whatever it is throughout

It appears that the Iowa Coaches Association will ask the Iowa Association to expand the playoffs to 24teams for 2020.

I dont think I have ever seen the Athletic Association not follow through with a recommendation.

With that being said anything in the playoffs can be changed if enough coaches vote in one direction.

With that many teams in the playoffs I could see them going back to the East\West split and then reseed the Semifinals and what ever happens happens
well last cycle it was voted with 90% approval by coaches and ADs and then 2 minutes later the Board of control apporved 16 team play off. Literally minutes after ADS and coaches voted for 32 teams. So yes they do as they please

No they have not been following it for the playoffs or rule changes. It seems they do the exact opposite.

No they have not been following it for the playoffs or rule changes. It seems they do the exact opposite.
How are they not following it for rule changes. Are they experts on the game and did they write their own rule changes this year as well?

How are they not following it for rule changes. Are they experts on the game and did they write their own rule changes this year as well?
Rule changes are done at the national level and are then imposed on all states that are part of the NFHS.

Also the coaches have asked for a 9 game regular season and 32 team playoff fields the last two go-rounds and the IHSAA has went a different direction both times. The difference this time is that the Coaches Association went public with their proposal before the State decides what will be done. Now if they go a different direction they will have to explain why they are going against the Coaches and ADs.

Rule changes are done at the national level and are then imposed on all states that are part of the NFHS.

Also the coaches have asked for a 9 game regular season and 32 team playoff fields the last two go-rounds and the IHSAA has went a different direction both times. The difference this time is that the Coaches Association went public with their proposal before the State decides what will be done. Now if they go a different direction they will have to explain why they are going against the Coaches and ADs.
The 4a wants to ask for 4a to go 24 teams with 7 district champs getting 1st round byes

The 4a wants to ask for 4a to go 24 teams with 7 district champs getting 1st round byes
4A is asking for a 24 team playoff field with the top 8 teams getting a bye in the first round. The other classes are asking for a traditional 32 team bracket. The top 4 from the 6 districts and the 8 at large teams.

4A is asking for a 24 team playoff field with the top 8 teams getting a bye in the first round. The other classes are asking for a traditional 32 team bracket. The top 4 from the 6 districts and the 8 at large teams.
7 District, top 3 from each district. We must have found a little different sources. However at the 4a level, they should just follow the RPI for at large qualifiers. Which may equate to the top 3 from. Each district,

But makess sense 8 district, 16 at large

4A is asking for a 24 team playoff field with the top 8 teams getting a bye in the first round.
Assuming your sources are credible, then how many total 4A teams are proposed 48, 42 or other and how many districts?

7 District, top 3 from each district. We must have found a little different sources. However at the 4a level, they should just follow the RPI for at large qualifiers. Which may equate to the top 3 from. Each district,

But makess sense 8 district, 16 at large
You are right about the top 3 from each district and then 3 at-large in 4A. My mistake.

32 teams in playoffs seems absurd to me. 3A for example has 54 teams. Almost 60% of the teams make state? Rewarding over half the teams with a state bid seems odd. 16 teams seems fair.

Reactions: IGo42 and Reasoned
32 teams in playoffs seems absurd to me. 3A for example has 54 teams. Almost 60% of the teams make state? Rewarding over half the teams with a state bid seems odd. 16 teams seems fair.
So why is it, that only in football people have a problem with this, all the other sports all teams qualify?

I would be for a 24 team system in everything below 4a, to ensure no 8-1 and maybe 7-2 teams get left out of the playoffs.

do not call it "state" only final 8 are State, doesnt matter, but in Football a couple injuries can kill your season, where Basketball everyone makes it, so that team that missed its point guard for half the season, can come back finish under .500 and still be ready to make a run at playoffs because EVERYONE gets in. Wrestlers routinely miss half a season or more, get healthy and win sectionals, districts, and in some cases place or Win state championships. IF the problem is banners and trophys, then dont give it out until round of 16 or 8, but to exclude so many ahtletes from experiencing post season in football and not in any other sport is getting rediculous and does nothing to grow our sport.

Last edited:
do not call it "state" only final 8 are State, doesnt matter, but in Football a couple injuries can kill your season, where Basketball everyone makes it, so that team that missed its point guard for half the season, can come back finish under .500 and still be ready to make a run at playoffs becasue EVERYONE gets in. Wrestlers routinely miss half a season or more, get healthy and win sectionals, districts, and in some cases place or Win state championships. IF the problem is banners and trophys, then dont give it out until round of 16 or 8, but to exclude so many ahtletes from experiencing post season in football and not in any other sport is getting rediculous and does nothing to grow our sport.

I agree with you on the expanded playoffs. It does build excitement for football and increase numbers. There was a year in Cedar Rapids where Wash, Kennedy, and Jeff all hosted a first round. There was a double header at Kingston Stadium and Jefferson hosted using Cornel's field in Mount Vernon. At the time Jefferson was rebounding from terrible seasons, Wash was rolling and Kennedy was solid. There was an excitement, especially at Jefferson where great seasons are fewer and farther between.

Reactions: dtk913
I agree with you on the expanded playoffs. It does build excitement for football and increase numbers. There was a year in Cedar Rapids where Wash, Kennedy, and Jeff all hosted a first round. There was a double header at Kingston Stadium and Jefferson hosted using Cornel's field in Mount Vernon. At the time Jefferson was rebounding from terrible seasons, Wash was rolling and Kennedy was solid. There was an excitement, especially at Jefferson where great seasons are fewer and farther between.
This is the 1st time I have seen two or even three people agree with a football expansion. I think it helps out programs that have been down or are rebuilding

This is good the Coaches Association is driving it. Most people just think the Boone office makes all of the changes, but it's really the member schools driving the vast majority of them.

IF they decided to expand, a bye round for the higher ranked teams should be a must...for obvious reasons.

So why is it, that only in football people have a problem with this, all the other sports all teams qualify?

I would be for a 24 team system in everything below 4a, to ensure no 8-1 and maybe 7-2 teams get left out of the playoffs.

There's a major difference between football and the other sports. It's physically difficult to play football more than once a week, while in basketball or volleyball or baseball or pretty much any other sport, it's a given you'll play at least two or three times in a week.

In basketball, volleyball, and baseball/softball, you can start a state tournament with every school in the state - because you'll play at least two rounds that first weekend and reduce the field by 75%. You can't do safely do that with football. It's the same reason why the people calling for a 64-team playoff in college football are wrong ("they do with March Madness, they need to do it with football, too!") - March Madness takes four days to go from 64 teams to 16 - there's no way you could do the same with football.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to expanding the high school playoff field myself (I do think 24 would be a good number), but it's just not feasible logistically to compare the state tournaments in basketball or baseball to the football playoffs.The IHSAA has always been steadfastly against byes in the football playoff system (I don't know why, but somebody in Boone really, really hates the idea) so that makes 24 a tough deal to get approved.

And remember, we're up against the calendar, too. UNI will not allow use of the Dome during Thanksgiving week, so either you start with championships the week before (as we do now) or plan to play them outdoors somewhere. If you backtrack 13 weeks from the week before Thanksgiving, you come up with a late August start for football. Adding another round of playoffs means 1) starting even earlier in August; 2) pushing the championships into Thanksgiving week, which means outdoors; or 3) either compressing the playoffs as was done prior to 2015; or changing the 9-game regular season schedule.

There's a major difference between football and the other sports. It's physically difficult to play football more than once a week, while in basketball or volleyball or baseball or pretty much any other sport, it's a given you'll play at least two or three times in a week.

In basketball, volleyball, and baseball/softball, you can start a state tournament with every school in the state - because you'll play at least two rounds that first weekend and reduce the field by 75%. You can't do safely do that with football. It's the same reason why the people calling for a 64-team playoff in college football are wrong ("they do with March Madness, they need to do it with football, too!") - March Madness takes four days to go from 64 teams to 16 - there's no way you could do the same with football.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to expanding the high school playoff field myself (I do think 24 would be a good number), but it's just not feasible logistically to compare the state tournaments in basketball or baseball to the football playoffs.The IHSAA has always been steadfastly against byes in the football playoff system (I don't know why, but somebody in Boone really, really hates the idea) so that makes 24 a tough deal to get approved.

And remember, we're up against the calendar, too. UNI will not allow use of the Dome during Thanksgiving week, so either you start with championships the week before (as we do now) or plan to play them outdoors somewhere. If you backtrack 13 weeks from the week before Thanksgiving, you come up with a late August start for football. Adding another round of playoffs means 1) starting even earlier in August; 2) pushing the championships into Thanksgiving week, which means outdoors; or 3) either compressing the playoffs as was done prior to 2015; or changing the 9-game regular season schedule.

A 9 week season with 32 team playoff brackets can and is being done safely all around the country including every state that borders Iowa. Wisconsin has a 9 week regular season with 32 team brackets in 7 divisions. They play all of their games including the state championships outside and work it out with the largest university in the state to use their facilities. It isn't a question of can it be done. It is a question of does anyone want to put in the effort of revamping the current system?

The UNI-Dome is available Thanksgiving week, but the IHSAA office is closed all of that week and half of the next week. They have told the IFCA they are not in favor of working that week, but that isn't needed. If we could play Week 0, which this year is August 22nd there could be a 9 game season and 5 week playoff (32 teams) with one game per week that was over the weekend before Thanksgiving just like it is now. Changes can be made that would enrich the playing experience of our student-athletes. Will the IHSAA be willing to put in the time to make it happen?

Reactions: franky1967

All of that maybe true, but when they expanded the playoffs back in 1986, they didn't play the Semifinals in the UNI Dome, they certainly don't have to play the Semifinals in the Dome now.

They still could shorten the days between 1st Rnd, 2nd Rnd and QTRs and still have a week between the QTRs, SFs and championship games.

My guess is that a major majority of coaches would agree and have no problem with going back to that system.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
They still could shorten the days between 1st Rnd, 2nd Rnd and QTRs and still have a week between the QTRs, SFs and championship games.

My guess is that a major majority of coaches would agree and have no problem with going back to that system.
Yes, they could but should they. Remembering back when PO’s were that way, the short rest wasn’t typically an issue in the first two rounds due to mismatch games but even so, I’ll never be convinced having 76% of the teams in FB playoffs is a desirable goal.

A 9 week season with 32 team playoff brackets can and is being done safely all around the country including every state that borders Iowa. Wisconsin has a 9 week regular season with 32 team brackets in 7 divisions. They play all of their games including the state championships outside and work it out with the largest university in the state to use their facilities. It isn't a question of can it be done. It is a question of does anyone want to put in the effort of revamping the current system?

The UNI-Dome is available Thanksgiving week, but the IHSAA office is closed all of that week and half of the next week. They have told the IFCA they are not in favor of working that week, but that isn't needed. If we could play Week 0, which this year is August 22nd there could be a 9 game season and 5 week playoff (32 teams) with one game per week that was over the weekend before Thanksgiving just like it is now. Changes can be made that would enrich the playing experience of our student-athletes. Will the IHSAA be willing to put in the time to make it happen?

Bear in mind that Thanksgiving is about as late as it gets this year, meaning that season start date would just get earlier and earlier in future years. By 2023, for example, week 0 would start on Friday, August 18th. Since there have been no 2-a-day's the last few years, and with the season being pushed up that far, practically into the end of baseball season, it's going to put a premium on what little practice time there is. Not to mention the likelihood of some rather toasty hot and humid games in August being rather high, you're really putting the players in a tough position. And any later in the year, and it's going to adversely impact basketball and wrestling. I think they're better off keeping things as they are.

The UNI-Dome is available Thanksgiving week, but the IHSAA office is closed all of that week and half of the next week.

You may be right about the Dome being available Thanksgiving week, but are you sure it would be available that Friday and Saturday? I seem to recall the issue in the past was the UNI athletic department needed to keep at least the weekend free in case the Panthers were in the FCS playoffs.

Perhaps in any event, UNI might allow use of the Dome that week prior to Thanksgiving Day. I know other Midwest states hold their playoff/championship games on Mondays or Tuesdays or Wednesdays, so something like that might be an option.

A 14-week season is perfectly possible; but as I said, you either need to start in mid-August, end the week of Thanksgiving, or compress the playoffs. There’s simply no other options available.

Then figure out away for the teams that don't make the playoffs to extend their season so they can get the extra practice in and a game if they choose to do so.

Maybe it's not about expanding the playoffs as we see it for the upper tams but a mini playoff system for the teams that don't make it is not impossible

Then figure out away for the teams that don't make the playoffs to extend their season so they can get the extra practice in and a game if they choose to do so.

Maybe it's not about expanding the playoffs as we see it for the upper tams but a mini playoff system for the teams that don't make it is not impossible

In my opinion, that’s not a bad idea. Schedule an 8-game season; Week 9 is the first round of the playoffs, and those teams that don’t qualify get matched up for a 9th game. Might not be everyone’s cup of tea, and might be a little wonky logistically, but it’s one option.

Reactions: stickman80
This is good the Coaches Association is driving it. Most people just think the Boone office makes all of the changes, but it's really the member schools driving the vast majority of them.

Did the Great Pumpkin finally visit you this year?

I agree (I think 24 is probably just about right for the playoff field), but somebody in Boone has always been strongly against the idea of byes in the football playoffs.
remember, the calendar is the same for 24 as 32 teams. so if the problem is time on a calendar UNI DOME USAGE, then 24 is the same problem as 32.

If the goal is to give the “lower tier” schools something additional to strive for (since being competitive in the current structure isn’t working), there could be something similar as the NIT for basketball (although not sure I’d recommend it due to being a logistical challenge).

The Coaches Association isn't driving this. The association just released their proposal to the media so the State can't make decisions without taking the coaches and ADs input into consideration. That is what has happened the last two times changes have happened.

That proposal will be presented to the IHSAA and that is as far as the coaches will get to go. What happens after that will be decided by the IHSAA and the Board of Control. As it stands today, the coaches association has very little input into the actual decisions that are made.

Reactions: Hwkfn1

I am not sure what schools consider making the playoffs state? In my mind you have qualified for the play-offs however- It is FAR from "state". Which I would say the dome....... State to me is when the games move to a unique locations (Wells, Principal, UNI Dome)

Reactions: mtdew_fever

Never said it was only limited to football. Football is the primary HS sport I still follow.

do not call it "state" only final 8 are State, doesnt matter, but in Football a couple injuries can kill your season, where Basketball everyone makes it, so that team that missed its point guard for half the season, can come back finish under .500 and still be ready to make a run at playoffs because EVERYONE gets in. Wrestlers routinely miss half a season or more, get healthy and win sectionals, districts, and in some cases place or Win state championships. IF the problem is banners and trophys, then dont give it out until round of 16 or 8, but to exclude so many ahtletes from experiencing post season in football and not in any other sport is getting rediculous and does nothing to grow our sport.
I consider the first round of the playoffs as making state...... I think many would......

Reactions: franky1967
I am not sure what schools consider making the playoffs state? In my mind you have qualified for the play-offs however- It is FAR from "state". Which I would say the dome....... State to me is when the games move to a unique locations (Wells, Principal, UNI Dome)
Qualifying for the STATE playoffs... which is the entire playing field, is making state........ to limited the teams qualifying for the state, need to limit the quantity of teams qualifying for the playoffs.....

playoffs=state qualified. 1st round of state playoffs, quarterfinals of state playoffs, Semis of state playoffs, and finals of state playoffs. To quality for the state playoffs is making state. This would be too many teams qualifying for state(state playoffs).

playoffs=state qualified. 1st round of state playoffs, quarterfinals of state playoffs, Semis of state playoffs, and finals of state playoffs. To quality for the state playoffs is making state. This would be too many teams qualifying for state(state playoffs).
I don't think anyone is following you or they live in and alternative reality. I have to agree with you, we might as well erase half the state stat book if making state is the semis

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT