ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City High Job

City High really had a rough year in the cellar of the MVC. They played with class, however. So hard to rebuild a program when the great players end up at West, and one of the best coaches in the state, Stu Ordman, is building up the Iowa City Liberty program which had some very strong games this year and returns EVERYBODY next season. I remember when City High was one of the powers in the state, winning several state championships. Of course, the last #1 in 2008 finish was with four transfer student starters and they also lost in the regular season to the 3A champ. The star of that Little Hawks team, Matt Gatens, an Iowa City native, went on to a stellar career at Iowa..

Last edited:
I definitely wouldn’t call Stu Ordman one of the best coaches in the state. He’s got what, 2 state appearances in how many seasons at CR Jeff and Regina?

Stu took Jeff to state probably 4-5...I recall one of his teams at Jeff upsetting Glen Worley and IC West at the substate final in CR. I believe his teams at Jeff led by Jarrod Uthoff went to state twice.
I also recall his first season at Regina, that team led by Drew Cook was state runner up. They were beat in the championship game in a tight one.

I still think Stu is an excellent coach. He doesn't have all the star power of some of the top teams, but his kids play very well for rarely having any superstars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT