ADVERTISEMENT

How will Semifinals Look?

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
With the addition of a class, I am interested to see how the semifinals will look at the Dome? The finals are easy with two days, but not the semifinals. Also UNI's schedule has them not playing at home for either of these weekends so I wonder if you will see a Friday-Saturday finals this year.

This is a very good question. With six classes, they had semifinal games running 3 1/2 hours apart starting at 9 am on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday ... where are they going to put two more games?

As for the finals, they could add another game on the Friday, maybe, and tighten up that schedule similar to the semifinals. If they did go with four championship games on one day, you're probably right, they'd go to a Friday/Saturday schedule, I'd guess. Another option would be just two games on Thursday and Friday with three on Saturday ... that's an extra day of Dome rental, though, so I don't know if they'll go that direction.

I really don't know how they're going to make the semifinals work, though.

Never thought about that but IL has 8 classes (they don’t play semifinals at finals location) and finals are Friday and Saturday 10, 1, 4 & 7
Also, they have rotated between Northern Il, Dekalb and UI, Champaign they used to play at IL State, Bloomington. If Dome scheduling causes a problem, there’s other possible venues hey if IL can tough it outside a week later, why can’t IA a week earlier?

Last edited:
This is a very good question. With six classes, they had semifinal games running 3 1/2 hours apart starting at 9 am on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday ... where are they going to put two more games?

Run 8-man on Wednesday night. And if the 5 days between their quarters and semis "isn't enough," then bump their quarters up to Thursday so it's 6 days for both of those rounds and then 8 until the finals (Friday, Friday, Thursday, Wednesday, Thursday).

See, it makes sense (in my opinion) to break the 8-player semis out into a different day like that (since they have to re-mark the field and all). But I wonder, though, if the IHSAA is willing to separate 8-player from the other classes.

As a practical move it seems logical, but as an optics move would the state want to make 8-player move to their own separate day like that? I don’t know the answer to that.

Lets not forget how the record-setting score from the 8-player semis last November wrecked the schedule for the rest of the day (they didn’t allow fans/media into the Dome for the late 3A semi until almost kickoff, which was ridiculous).

Sunday is out. Monday is out.

That leaves 2-4-4-4 over four days, unless you want to shoehorn 5-5-4 into three days -- but that means (1) kickoffs before 9 a.m. and/or after 9 p.m.; and (2) someone gets an "extra day" of recovery over another team in their class due to the odd number of games on the first day.

My guess would be that you will see 8 man played on Wednesday, they may have to play the quarterfinals on Thursday.

Legally Wednesday is not usually allowed for activities past 6 PM. Is that a state rule?

No that is a district by district rule. Most schools have it as they work with local churches to get kids to religious Ed classes. Up until a few years ago the first round was always on Wednesday.

Reactions: cjm3260
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT