ADVERTISEMENT

High school soccer recommendations

nhssoccer

Varsity
Feb 16, 2004
There is a coaches committee meeting soon with the IAHSAA to make recommendations for high school soccer in Iowa. Any suggestions or anything that would make the experience better for you?

Maybe suggest higher standards to be an official. I've noticed from all the games I've seen in the past few years, there are some very inconsistent officials. It ruins the game for these guys. I can't stand going to a game where a slide tackle gets called a foul. I would like to see the state pinch on officials a little bit.

I think we would all like to see more consistent officials, I'm sure the officials would like it as well, problem is there aren't enough officials to go around. Need more people to want to be refs to increase the pool so we can be selective, but good suggestion.

This isn't a suggestion by any means, but I know of several people who were pleased with how the state tournament went. It is nice having the tournament spread out over a few days allowing some time teams to rest instead of making them play 2 games on one day.

What about requiring schools to play on regulation fields?

Have HS soccer season in the fall vs. spring. This would fall in line with majority of the states who play HS soccer in the fall.

I think fall soccer is a good idea, but not very realistic. Football rules in the fall. At many large schools, there are plenty of athletes and talent to fill the football and soccer teams. However, when you go to a smaller schoo, many students would have to pick between football and soccer. Inevitably, soccer would lose some of its talent to football. The only way for smaller schools to even be competive against larger ones is for a maximum number of athletes available.

Another side is this though:

Would it be more of a competition between soccer & football?

Or

Is there competition between soccer & tennis, golf, track, and even baseball.

Discuss?

i would agree better officiating and i would suggest having more friday game like football and bball so you get more students and fans to come to the game to cheer because during the week people dont want to come because they have school work and studying and other activities. I know for johnston soccer the past few yers we have played urbandale on friday night one of our biggest rivals and alot more students and fans came out and it was very succesfull

100% agree with Friday night games. Need to come up with as many ways to get fans out to the games. Better atmosphere = more intensity.

friday nite games would be a lot of fun, and potentially pull in a lot of fans, but some smaller schools share athletes between track and soccer, and with so many track meets falling on fri-nites and/or sat mornings, that would make it tough on those kids as well. until soccer dominates the ticket and concession stand $$$, it will play second fiddle to the other sports in the area.

well it seems to work really well at johnston when we play urbandale on a friday night we hav the girls varsity game and then the boys varsity game and we get alot of students and fans to come out. I love when we get more fans out cuz it makes u more pumped and excited. I would say if jtown could get a few more friday night games it would be great im not saying every game shud be a friday night game but a few shud

Friday games has to do with scheduling, so that is up to the individual schools, the state doesn't really have any control over that. With fields, it would be great if everyone had a regulation field, but not everyone can afford to build a new field, so it really isn't realistic, although more and more schools have them.
What we are looking for are suggestions about what the state does for high school soccer. Moving to 3 classed instead of 2 is one that will be looked at. Changing the state tournament to 3 days recently was another example. Things like when we start, number of games, seeding, etc that are regulated by the IAHSAA

well then schools should schedule games on fridays then
also i do agree and like with the changing to 3 classes

Look at all the surrounding states in the MidWest. THEY all have soccer during the Fall. Yes, there will be SOME competing players for football / soccer - but in the Spring we see competing players for Soccer / Track.

It would sure make recruiting to college a whole lot easier. Most athletes can be looked at in their senior year in the Fall around here. But not in Iowa. They get looked at in the Spring of their Junior year which puts us at a HUGE disadvantage for college scholarships and looks.

Most Football games are on Friday. Why not keep Soccer more of a Tuesday / Thursday thing during the Fall? No conflicts from a field point of view.

Iowa is so Football dominated that this State literally discriminates against soccer players.

Get rid of the NHS rules or whatever they are. Play FIFA rules. It's just not the same with the yellow card rule. If the player gets a yellow card, let them continue with play. they should play it the FA way otherwise. 5 (or whatever amount of yellow cards you get) = suspension from the next game.. and the nocsae shinguard. No player likes them. I am a player and i know the risks of it. and if i break my leg i will be well aware that it is all my fault.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT