ADVERTISEMENT

High School Pitch Counts

2017 Baseball Regular Season Manual
Pitching Scenarios
8)
An upperclassmen pitcher throws 85 pitches on Monday and is eligible to pitch again on Friday. During the game on Friday, the pitcher reaches 95 pitches (180 weekly maximum) with a 2 ball, 2 strike count. Is he required to come out at that time? No, the pitcher may complete the at bat with the current batter or inning, whatever occurs first. After either of these events, the pitcher is required to be replaced.

Reactions: HawkPT
Might be a dumb question, but do you think some of the injuries are coming from how much these kids pitch junk when they are younger? I understand the pitch count rule but coaches using it as a way to get a forfeit and a W doesn't feel good. Theres one team in the state that won 3 games this way. Is being over by 5 pitches going to destroy a kid for the future?

Yes. Pitching volume prior to HS definitely has an influence on injuries.

But, you have to have firm guidelines. I dont see how it could work with a sliding scale. The fault is on the coaches that don't understand the rule, not the teams that benefit from the forfeit.

Reactions: roosterk
Yes. Pitching volume prior to HS definitely has an influence on injuries.

But, you have to have firm guidelines. I dont see how it could work with a sliding scale. The fault is on the coaches that don't understand the rule, not the teams that benefit from the forfeit.
This

It was recently announced that the pitch count rule will remain the same in 2018, except the 180 per week limit will only be in effect for the first 3 weeks of the season.

Also, coaches may now work with hitters for 10 3-hour sessions during the month of April. Love that!

There will be a slight change to the pitch count rules for 2018, but I can't remember (and can't find online) the exact details. I know that at a specific point in the season (maybe after the second or third week of competition), the weekly pitch limit will be eliminated.

In 2017, 10th-12th graders were limited to 180 pitches per week, and 8th-9th graders were limited to 150. This year, at least the upperclassmen will not have a weekly pitch limit after a certain point in the season. I'm not sure if the younger players will have the limit eliminated or increased.

I'm not sure this is a positive change, but it will probably provide more pitching options for small school teams with fewer competitive arms.

Question about the pitch count rule: Harpenau from Remsen, St. Mary's threw 92 pitches (according to Quikstats) in the substate game on Tuesday, which would not allow him to pitch again until Sunday. He pitched on Saturday. Was that a violation or am I missing something? Because they lost, it really doesn't matter, just wondering if I'm missing something.

For the record, the spreadsheet/pitch count tool on the IASHAA website says he couldn't throw. Link

Harpenau is only a freshman so he can only throw 90 but can finish a hitter so that does not count against his rest. 8th graders and freshmen only have 3 day max rest because of 90 rule and only 150 total so Harpenau had 58 pitches for the week against North Linn. That should answer your question. If he was a Soph. you are right about the 4 days.

Harpenau is only a freshman so he can only throw 90 but can finish a hitter so that does not count against his rest. 8th graders and freshmen only have 3 day max rest because of 90 rule and only 150 total so Harpenau had 58 pitches for the week against North Linn. That should answer your question. If he was a Soph. you are right about the 4 days.

I want to make sure I have that right. The younger, less developed arms have a shorter rest period requirement?

Got it. I didn't realize he was a freshman. This would be just like an upperclassman going over 110.

I want to make sure I have that right. The younger, less developed arms have a shorter rest period requirement?

The rest requirement is the same for 10th-12th and 8th-9th up to 90 pitches, which is 3 days. The cap for 1 day is 90 pitches for 8th-9th. The cap for 10th-12th is 110, so if you go over 90 pitches they add another day needed for rest (4).

They did however make a change this year for total pitches.

Copy/Paste from the manual :

10th-12th graders may only throw 180 pitches in a week through Saturday, June 9th. Starting with the week of June 10, 10th-12th graders are only restricted with the daily limitation. 8th-9th graders may only throw 150 pitches in a week for the entire season. A week is defined as Sunday-Saturday. An 8th or 9th grader playing varsity baseball is still limited to 90 pitches on a day and 150 pitches in the week.

Here it is directly from the state website:

Freshman pitcher D starts a batter at 88 pitches. He strikes out the next batter on three straight pitches making his count 91 for the night. How many days of rest is he required to sit? The underclassman in this example must sit out three days. An underclassman does not have a four day rest period even if he goes over 90 pitches to complete the batter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT