ADVERTISEMENT

Hey refs let them PLAY !

Jan 20, 2015
People wanna watch basketball , not to see if you have the proper mechanics for your IHSAA evaluators , who would know basketball from Bernie's butt anyway.
4a is not bad ... but 3a 2a and 1a the officiating is pathetic LET THEM PLAY !!!

That 3A WSR vs Walert game was one of the worst officiating jobs I have seen at the tournament! The refs were horrible, the state should be embarrassed with their performance!

LeMars vs DCG was even worse. Wait until that hack Siouxland crew get the t 3a itle game like they always do. One gray haired guy is 100lbs overweight and can hardly waddle down the court , the taller guy is barely alive , and the short guy is the biggest ref hack ever. But every year there they are ruining another championship game or whatever game they kiss the right butt to do.
Just rotate the 4a guys all week and have the small timers do the girls tourney.

TheSeer2 just qualified himself as a complete joke and sore loser. "Let the small timers do the girls tourney". Class act you are and a complete idiot.

The Wahlerts/WSR crew was the exact same crew who officiated the Dubuque/Valley debacle last year.
Patrick Kelley is the worst official in the state. So inconsistent.
How does he keep getting invited back?

AP vs Woodward the other night was a little shaky. I don't know of any specific BAD calls but they were just extremely inconsistent. One thing that was a foul one possession wasn't called the next. I would say that neither team benefitted from it too much though. Another thing was how late they were making the calls. It seemed like they would wait for the shot to see if it went in before calling a foul. It can definitely be improved

TheSeer2. Who are you associating yourself with the "we" comment because you are belittling them. Do you have something against girls basketball because you stated that bad refs should go ref at girls games. Who do you associate that type of comment to? Again, idiot.

This post was edited on 3/11 8:06 PM by thinkpad1

To be fair girls basketball is typically a slower game meaning more time to make calls, making it easier to officiate. Although I doubt this as the intention of the comment, a "poor" boys ref could be a very successful girls ref for this reason.

For me, it's the dinosaurs running the clock/scorer's table.

Seems like every game has multiple stoppages, inadvertent horns, & scoreboard/clock mistakes.

When your arthritis doesn't allow you to pan from one hoop to the other, it's time to step aside grandpa!
This post was edited on 3/12 7:50 AM by VanderHoops

I like how some people will stick up for the officials and criticize the players. Last time I checked the refs are the only ones getting paid. The biggest problem I have with them is not being consistent on each end. If there is that big of an issue getting refs, raise what they make, I am sure people would not care if it cost another $1 or $2 if it meant better officiating.

There is definitely a shortage of refs right now and a shortage of quality refs as well. There is no denying that. I would dare to bet that Smokey would even admit that (probably behind closed doors). I am not sure how to change this. Yes, i could grab a whistle and ref myself, but it really isnt feasible for my family. Let's face it life is busy and most of choose the family time if we can get it. I only get my kids for 18 years. I would rather watch them grow up than spend those nights away reffing a sporting contest.

I am not sure how everything works, but if i was a ref and my goal would be the state tournament. Are there enough quality officials to cover both the boys and girls tournaments? How many refs are able or willing to take 2 weeks off to spend in Des Moines reffing? How many refs do they bring to Des Moines each week?

Originally posted by Lyoncounty:
There is definitely a shortage of refs right now and a shortage of quality refs as well. There is no denying that. I would dare to bet that Smokey would even admit that (probably behind closed doors). I am not sure how to change this. Yes, i could grab a whistle and ref myself, but it really isnt feasible for my family. Let's face it life is busy and most of choose the family time if we can get it. I only get my kids for 18 years. I would rather watch them grow up than spend those nights away reffing a sporting contest.

I am not sure how everything works, but if i was a ref and my goal would be the state tournament. Are there enough quality officials to cover both the boys and girls tournaments? How many refs are able or willing to take 2 weeks off to spend in Des Moines reffing? How many refs do they bring to Des Moines each week?
Actually, Smokey has admitted it. In an email response, I was told that there are just not enough young people willing to officiate. I was specifically pointing out the age and fitness level of some officials I had seen during the regular season.The age of the officials at state is not nearly as bad of a problem as the regular season. I have seen guys who are extremely overweight and probably in their 70s trying to keep pace with high school athletes. It's a thankless job, I don't know what the answer is but there is definitely room for improvement. Adding the third official several years back hasn't appeared to help much.

There are just as many bad players & coaches as there are refs. If kids would play defense with their feet rather than their hands and coaches would teach D that way, the refs would let them play.

Let them play is often the call of those who have become accustomed to playing overly aggressive defense because they figure the refs can't call everything. Either that or they just don't know how to play without fouling. Either way, it's not a referee problem. You want them to let you play? Play within the rules of the game.

If you want to watch a contact sport, try football or rugby.

Originally posted by Sturod:
There are just as many bad players & coaches as there are refs. If kids would play defense with their feet rather than their hands and coaches would teach D that way, the refs would let them play.

Let them play is often the call of those who have become accustomed to playing overly aggressive defense because they figure the refs can't call everything. Either that or they just don't know how to play without fouling. Either way, it's not a referee problem. You want them to let you play? Play within the rules of the game.

The biggest problem is consistency. Throughout the season they do call games much more closely than the post season. I watched a number of 1a games where games were called very close. I mean to the point of making the game a 2 hour game.Once the post season started, the " better" officials did let them play. To the point of as you say, a contact sport. And then once the spotlight is on in Des Moines, games are called closely again. Coaches usually tell players to adjust to the officiating. If games are called consistently they shouldn't have to.

Couldn't agree more on the consistency issue.

Also, it does seem that districts are officiated quite a bit more loosely than the regular season. I've never understood that.

IMO if a game lasts 2 hours, it's most often the fault of the players & coaches.

You wanna watch hack refs just watch an Iowa boys state tourney game
Aren't they fun to watch call foul after foul and tell the fed up coaches to sit down all game long
And move your feet lol ... most of these overweight over aged Bernie butt kissers can barely move their big butts down the court

Originally posted by Sturod:

worst first post ever... the refs are ridiculous... the foul counts are ridiculous. foul that comes to mind is the offensive foul on Pemsl in the 1st quarter last night...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT