ADVERTISEMENT

Head Job Vacancies

Phil Hemming, a Pella Native, will be taking over the Saydel Boys Basketball program and working to rebuild it. Phil was a long time assistant under Head Coach Mark Core at Pella HS for 14 seasons during a very successful period in that program’s history and has been an Elite AAU coach for Pella for over a decade. He will bring much needed toughness and youthfulness to this position and a new brand of basketball Saydel has never seen. It is also rumored that he has talked Mark Core out of coaching retirement, and Mark will be joining his staff as an assistant coach at Saydel. If this is true, look for these guys to make some changes with the Saydel program, change the culture that the Eagles have had the last 5 years, and open their doors to kids in the metro looking for a new home with a chance to make an impact right away. I hope they can turn it around!

Last edited:
Phil Hemming, a Pella Native, will be taking over the Saydel Boys Basketball program and working to rebuild it. Phil was a long time assistant under Head Coach Mark Core at Pella HS for 14 seasons during a very successful period in that program’s history and has been an Elite AAU coach for Pella for over a decade. He will bring much needed toughness and youthfulness to this position and a new brand of basketball Saydel has never seen. It is also rumored that he has talked Mark Core out of coaching retirement, and Mark will be joining his staff as an assistant coach at Saydel. If this is true, look for these guys to make some changes with the Saydel program, change the culture that the Eagles have had the last 5 years, and open their doors to kids in the metro looking for a new home with a chance to make an impact right away. I hope they can turn it around!

Man, that's a good hire.

Add Colfax-Mingo (15-6) to the list of coaching openings. Local hero, Nick Noring, announced his resignation today after 2 solid years of improving the program. He will be missed.

R u opening enrolling your son at Saydel as well?
This thread had me thinking...what are the top 5 head coaching jobs in IHSAA basketball in the two big classes? I would say in 4A: 1)Valley 2) IC West 3) Waukee 4) Linn Mar & 5) Dubuque Senior
3A: 1)Waverly 2) Norwalk 3) Xavier 4) Pella 5) DCG

This thread had me thinking...what are the top 5 head coaching jobs in IHSAA basketball in the two big classes? I would say in 4A: 1)Valley 2) IC West 3) Waukee 4) Linn Mar & 5) Dubuque Senior
How about the 5 worst?

Add Colfax-Mingo (15-6) to the list of coaching openings. Local hero, Nick Noring, announced his resignation today after 2 solid years of improving the program. He will be missed.

I haven't spoken to him, so this is purely conjecture, I would be shocked if Noring isn't the assistant at Baxter next season. Danny Samson isn't going to be back, Noring works at Baxter and he is currently assistant baseball coach there.

I'm curious as to your criteria for "best coaching jobs."

I'm curious as to your criteria for "best coaching jobs."
Things like: 1) Community support 2) Talent pool 3) Conference the school competes in 4) Chances of getting to state and competing for titles consistently. What am I missing?

Things like: 1) Community support 2) Talent pool 3) Conference the school competes in 4) Chances of getting to state and competing for titles consistently. What am I missing?
Don't know if you're missing anything. It's your list and your opinion. I was just curious how you came to your choices.

Caleb Akey hired at Mt. Pleasant. I believe he was their JV coach; someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT