ADVERTISEMENT

Head Girls Basketball Openings

The interesting thing about the LC comment is that they have to go play teams that are almost three times their size. The teams they have lost to have either been state semi finalist, state runner-ups, or state champions.

Not sure what LC's record was this year, something like 17-4??? They got beat in the tourney by an average Valley team by 15 or 20. I know that was this year, but LC will never know how good of team they have until tourney time because they don't play the competition in the regular season.

LC finished 20-3 this year. Two of their losses were to State teams. Also they were beat by Ankeny this year and most of the game was 8-9 points until the end when they had to start fouling. Ankeny went on to be the state runner-up.
Please know ur facts before posting. I should consider the source considering u are ok with hiring a head coach at the 4A level that has never coached that sport at any level!

So it is OK for a 1A or 2A school to hire someone with no experience??? but not a 4A school just because they are bigger. If they feel he was the best applicant at that time what should they do??

Metro sports report just posted article on O'donnell resigning as head coach at Marion High School.

http://metrosportsreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6778:eek:donnell-resigns-as-marion-coach&catid=184:about-msr

SC East(4A)just hires a head girls basketball coach with 10 years of head coaching experience. Great concept East, hope it works for you. You're really taking a chance. I'm guessing he's probably lousy at building relationships with players. But, from what I've read on-line, that will get you in trouble with high school students in CB.

I dont care what class you are in, I bet the AD from TJ is the only one in the state that has hired a varsity head basketball coach with 0 basketball experience at any level. What does that tell you about her incompetence?

It may end up being the worst hire in history. I am just saying why would someone want to take the job when people bitch and moan about a coach before that coach has even started at that school. I don't care one way or the other because Council Bluffs BBall will never get to the level it needs to to compete with MVC and CIML.

I just say give someone a chance before you just start bitching.

And yes, East did get a great coach. I bet their candidate pool was quite a bit more impressive than TJ's.

I will have to agree in part with hawk, these days it seems like coaches get judged by the vocal minority and are either forced out or just leave. I don't know much about the basketball scene on the west coast of the state, but here in eastern part in my opinion over the past 10-15 years the level of play has declined overall, although there are exceptional teams still around there are more mediocre and below teams. I am a old Wamac fan so I see quite a few of those games plus the metro area teams. I think that I saw more mediocrity this year in the Wamac then any other time. I think maybe bringing in someone new as a coach who may not have the experience might not be a bad idea, maybe they will get back to some fundamentals and if given the time develop a program. They may not succeed either, but if the program has been floundering, why not give them a chance. I have to believe that they couldn't do worse than some of the teams I have seen around here the last several years.

Sometimes we may not have all of the information on hires, I am just willing to give the AD and those involved with the evaluation the benefit of doubt.

Some of you folks just keep contradicting yourselves. You're not winning this argument with your narrow-minded opinions. Just admit dunkcan and his clones are right. Move on. Go Raiders.

Originally posted by scbull:
Some of you folks just keep contradicting yourselves. You're not winning this argument with your narrow-minded opinions. Just admit dunkcan and his clones are right. Move on. Go Raiders.

Which is more narrow minded, me saying I don't know all of the background information on the hire or you with your comment.

I guess opinion boards are just for certain posters. I may eventually be wrong with my opinion on this, I am not completely disagreeing with dunkcan or agreeing with hawk, just seeing both sides and willing to admit I dont have all the information or even the answers. If it is the wrong hire, then in a couple years we may have another opening for not only a coach but maybe an AD.

I was just trying to see if anyone out there had a pulse. I too appreciate opinions and I don't want us to become a country of liberal puppets who can't think for themselves. Like we have all said, time will tell if this works for TJ or not. It is a bold move, and one that will be interesting to follow.

Anyone have any updates on the Solon or CR Kennedy jobs? Both have been open for a very long time and school is almost out.

Nothing on those jobs but I hear that the Urbandale and Valley have hired their coaches both hiring from within. Not sure on names, just heard they had been filled.

Marion girls job was filled by Corby Laube who is also the AD at the school and the former boys coach.

Add Southeast Polk to the list. Borrison resigned to get closer to home to help take care of parents. We'll feel the loss but he made the right choice. I wish him the best.

Someone will walk into a pretty loaded team. Four starters return from a group that has gone 47-5 the past 2 seasons.

SEP's Borrison Steps Down

Rumor has it a 3A coach got pushed out as parents weren't happy with play time\who was playing, etc - I can't confirm just yet but if true, it is sickening as the coach is one of the best people I know and a fantastic mentor to our young adults.

I can't believe all these schools are filling their basketball coaching vacancies with experienced basketball coaches. That is so lame. How will they ever have any coach/player relationships? What could those schools possibly be thinking? On a side note: a former colleague of mine has accepted the recently open AD position at CBTJ. That is a quick turn of events for TJ after making such an impressive girls basketball coaching hire. Coincidence?

I see Johnston hired Waukee asst. Coach Jilek. Biggest job (at least for next year) still open has got to be the SEP girls, right? They should contend for the class 5A title. Any big names out there looking to pad their resume' with a state title???

Had a question on STC job. Did they hire Keahna's mom as the head coach? Just curious because she had left to go to Meskwaki last season.

No different Keahna. Marsha is her name and she was the 8th grade coach. Tia is Dia's mom and rumor has it that she will be Meskwaki's head coach.

Tony Nicol, a 1987 graduate of Solon, was just hired as Solons varsity girls coach. He previously was an assistant coach in the Linn Mar Boys Basketball program.

Originally posted by coach'd:
Tony Nicol, a 1987 graduate of Solon, was just hired as Solons varsity girls coach. He previously was an assistant coach in the Linn Mar Boys Basketball program.

This was the position I was talking about...

Regarding all the 4A/5A girls basketball openings, it looks like just 2 teams have yet to hire a new coach. Anyone hear anything about these 2 positions? Borrison has to be very high on North Scott's list. I've heard nothing regarding SEP and now wonder if the assistant (Brad Johnson) will take the team on an interim basis for next season.

North Scott - ???
Southeast Polk - ???
Bettendorf - Pat Finn
CBTJ - Rich Bartholomew
Jefferson - Jason Edwards
Johnston - Chad Jilek
Kennedy - Tony Vis
Lewis Central - Derek Archer
Sioux City East - Matt Leary
Urbandale - Gary Birdwell
Valley - Joe Sigrist

Amazing that every one of those 4A/5A schools have made bona fide experienced basketball coaching hires except one. Of all the alumni I have talked to about the situation at TJ, they are livid and embarrassed. No one has a clue how this hire could even be considered. What a total joke. Along with the TJ community, the players certainly do not deserve this.

Originally posted by bbfan73:
Amazing that every one of those 4A/5A schools have made bona fide experienced basketball coaching hires except one. Of all the alumni I have talked to about the situation at TJ, they are livid and embarrassed. No one has a clue how this hire could even be considered. What a total joke. Along with the TJ community, the players certainly do not deserve this.

If people are livid and embarrassed about the hire, what were they when TJ went 0-21 this year and lost 29 in a row? Happy and content? They have a 4A program with only 17 girls at the end of the year, that should say alot about a program.

I don't know anything about Coach Bartholomew other than what I have read, but in the realm of youth sports he seems to be a motivator and relates well with the kids. Many are complaining he doesn't have the experience, I have seen many coaches over my 40 plus years of watching youth basketball, and having experience does not mean someone is good. My feeling is with that program in the disaray it sounds like it is coaches were not beating down the fences to get their apps in. Now you have someone who went there, had his kids go to school there, willing to take a chance to try to build a program. Around the eastern portion of the state we have coaches being forced out because parents are upset about not making it to state every year. Instead of being livid and embarrassed about the hire, where were they when the team went 3-64 over the past 3 years?

As I mentioned in a prior post, why not give the coach a chance. Its not like he could do much worse. If he can turn it around, and hopefully for the school and programs sake he can, that would be great. If not, in three years you can post a message to me "I told you so."

I know the fans were in the stands suppporting the kids like they should be, and not impressed with the results. But when the opportunity to change the program arrived, TJ just plain failed. Being a youth coach and being a varsity coach are two totally different animals. Coaching a 4th grade YMCA team against a parent does not prepare a coach to compete against SCE, Heelan, LC, etc... Parents put faith in a school board, adminstration/administrator to make an un-biased, competent decision. Does this hire show competence? Would this be allowed in an eastern Iowa school regardless of class? Would you be this supportive of this action if your children were involved? Think about it.

With a new AD at TJ, I really don't think it will take three years to say "I told you so". But thanks for the dialogue. It's fun to debate someone who makes some good points.

Incompetence is not an issue with the new ad @ TJ. He's a good one who'll do an outstanding job. Don't be surprised if you're advertising for a new coach after just one season (if not before).

Waterloo Columbus Girls BB Opening

I see there is an opening at Waterloo Columbus for both Head and Assistant Girls Basketball Coaches. Anyone know the situation there? I see they won only 3 games last year but the majority of their players were sophomores and juniors. Would this be a good gig?

SEPRamFan Posted on 5/30/2012
Re: Head Girls Basketball Openings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding all the 4A/5A girls basketball openings, it looks like just 2 teams have yet to hire a new coach. Anyone hear anything about these 2 positions? Borrison has to be very high on North Scott's list. I've heard nothing regarding SEP and now wonder if the assistant (Brad Johnson) will take the team on an interim basis for next season.

North Scott - ???
Southeast Polk - ???
Bettendorf - Pat Finn
CBTJ - Rich Bartholomew
Jefferson - Jason Edwards
Johnston - Chad Jilek
Kennedy - Tony Vis
Lewis Central - Derek Archer
Sioux City East - Matt Leary
Urbandale - Gary Birdwell
Valley - Joe Sigrist

SE Polk hires female coach from JV team from within program. Johnston (Brad) steps down. Not much interest shown in the job.

According to reliable sources, we have a 4A varsity coaching staff comprised of bona fide, experienced youth, YMCA level basketball coaches. That should scare the heck out of the competition. Also, not much interest or participation in the summer basketball development program where the players were going to learn how to play the game. Thank you former AD. Glad you're gone.

bbfan, at some point you will have to accept what is happened and give the coach a chance. As I mentioned before, this new coach may not have the experience you want, but he is there. As downplaying the youth coach aspect, around the metro area here there are coaches in youth programs that are superior to many high school coaches in my opinion. Just because someone isn't coaching at the high school level doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing. Some of these coaches don't want to deal with the crap from parents, fans, etc. Your program has no recent success over the past several years, and if you think that anyone is going to be able to change that in one summer you are mistaken. We have programs around here that have been successful and cant get kids into summer programs, and one that at a 3A level(now 4A) could not even field 3 teams during to regular season for the past two years.

I realize you have an opinion and have the right to comment on it, but at some point the whining will need to stop give the girls and their new coach a chance. They went 0-21 last year, and 3-64 over the past three years. How many games will this new coach need to satisfy people? Around here in eastern part we have coaches with winning records being forced out due to parent/fan pressure. What is good enough?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT