ADVERTISEMENT

Head Girls Basketball Openings

moondog24

Freshman
Oct 31, 2009
Does anyone know of any openings for Girls Basketball in the Central Iowa or Eastern Iowa areas (around Des Moines, Cedar Rapids or Waterloo)?

I see Clarke of Osceola now. They have had some success the last two years, and return a majority of their players.

He didnt want to leave. Administration just wants to get someone younger so they asked him to resign. He retired from teaching the previous year.

Originally posted by oreorunners_1014:
why is Roloffs leaving CRK, he always seems to get the most out of his teams?

Its too bad he was forced out, he is a very good coach, and if you have seen the article earlier this year about girls basketball participation in eastern part of Iowa, one comment that was made was Kennedy had the largest participation with girls and it was primarily attributed to him and how he coached and worked with the players. He has been known as someone who plays quite a few players, and they knew they had a chance to participate and play. Hopefully he will find another position to coach.

It is a sign of the times. Schools seem to think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Coach Roloff did a good job at Kennedy and was the type of person you would want to represent your school, but it had been a few years since they had been to state. If the administration thinks changes coaches will get it done, they are not being realistic. It is not like the new person can come in and recruit players they will need. You work with what you have and try to develop them. It is getting harder and harder for teams to be competitive with all of the other programs requiring their athletes to play year round and not participate in basketball.

Did I hear right that Dubuque Hempstead is now open?
This post was edited on 4/3 12:21 PM by bigfridaynite

These were just the 4A-5A openings so far, not sure if any have been filled yet.
Jefferson
Johnston
Valley
Kennedy
Urbandale
Bettendorf
Lewis Central
CB Abe Lincoln
Sioux City East
North Scott (not posted yet as coach doesn't want to leave)

Thats 21% of the 48 largest schools in Iowa - and there could be 2-3 more before the end of April.

Looks like a lot of self-centered parents have ran off some very good coaches. Happens every year.

Edwards will do a good job at Jefferson. I bet about 5 or 6 of these jobs are open because the coaches were tired of dealing with the parents. Looks like you can add Hempstead to that list officially now.

Originally posted by hawkbb101:
Edwards will do a good job at Jefferson. I bet about 5 or 6 of these jobs are open because the coaches were tired of dealing with the parents. Looks like you can add Hempstead to that list officially now.

I agree Edwards should do very well there, its helpful that he is an employee of that school also. As for the parent issue, I will agree partially with your statement, but I think locally here we may have 2 ends of the spectrum. Some of the comments I hear is playing time issues that always will be around, whether back in the 1960's or current time. It seems we have one program that some parents were upset that not enough kids played, and another where some felt too many kids were playing. I have a hard time thinking that there is a time where too many kids are being utilized during a season, though I can see in certain game situations where focusing on who is producing is important. I am not sure there is an answer for this, but I have a feeling that it will continue to be more of a problem in the future.

So...on the application could they please ask how many kids you plan on playing? If it differs from community to community, then it would be nice to know how many kids I am expected to play. TIA

Not sure how to take your reply, but I think the answer is no.

The point I was commenting on was that between newspaper articles and comments from parents I know(I don't have kids playing anymore)that some parents were upset on playing time issues. I have a friend who is an AD at one of the metro schools and he stated that routinely every year he will get calls from some parents complaining not only about not getting any playing time with their kids, but also with some parents complaining that too many kids are being used. Those parents feel like they need to concentrate on just a few. And its not just basketball, but all sports, both boys and girls. I personally dont think parents trying to force coaches decisions on playing time either way is a good thing. But I can understand the frustration of parents when they feel their child is not getting an opportunity to participate.

What I do have a problem with is coaches who are playing the same 6 or 7 kids in a basketball game and they are up by 20 or 30, and wait to sub in with a minute or two left. If I was a parent that situation would make me upset. Luckily I never had to deal with that. I don't know if there is any answer that will make everyone or even anyone happy, all I know is over the past 30 plus years it seems to be getting worse. And some good coaches are leaving or being forced out because of it.

coach'd, not attacking you. Just frustrated. We have coaches in my area that play "Grinnell style" because the former coach only played a few and parents were upset. Now parents are upset with Grinnell style, because too many kids are playing. It's just ridiculous that coaches have to go through this and it runs the good coaches out. That's why I made the comment that they should put on applications or job listings how many kids they expect the new coach to play,so he/she knows going in. (obviously sarcastic) I absolutely agree that coaches need to play the bench when up 20-30.

No problem, at my age I get a little sarcastic sometimes if I don't get my afternoon nap in.

I agree with you, I am not sure where the happy medium is, but I just see a worsening problem over the past decade, and when I see a good coach like Roloff get pushed out because of some of these different issues, it gets me frustrated. I think sometimes either administrators or parents forget that this is high school and not a subset of college. Some of these parents have got to realize that the goal of high school use to be as a participating activity for all who put the effort in, within reason. I am realistic that if you have 20 kids on a varsity squad that you wont have a chance of getting everyone in to make every parent happy, but for heavens sake if you only have 12 or so and are up by 20, rotate some kids in.

It kinda goes back to the gazette article on participation with girls basketball, why are numbers down. For the last couple of years you have had a school like Marion which could not field a full 3 squads(9th, JV, Varsity), a school like Jefferson which didn't have a senior on their squad. And then you have a team like Kennedy which had 55 girls out. I don't personally believe the Kennedy coach was released because he played too many girls, I don't know those numbers, but it was a comment I heard. I am not sure of the reason, but if I was an administrator I would be happy with that amount of participation.

So has Kennedy started interviewing yet? How many candidates applied and will they find a good coach out of the group?

What's the status of the SC East, CBTJ, and CBLC openings? Anyone heard of any applicants or interested coaches, or will they just promote from within?

Unbelievable answer to my previous post. According to the NonPareil, TJ hires a girls head basketball coach who has NEVER coached or played basketball at any level. No basketball experience at all. How can this happen at a 4A school? No wonder the program is viewed as a joke. If I was the superintendent, a school board member, an alumni or a parent, I'd want some answers. As an avid supporter of high school basketball, this makes absolutely no sense. Those poor kids.

Where is the evidence that overbearing parents or weak admins are pushing out coaches coming from? It seems like people are putting the blame on parents or admins the majority of the time. Is that a known fact, or an assumption? Personally I know of zero isntances of that happening in my area. There could be a multitude of reasons, and to assume it is the most prevelant issue seems to be a reach.

Of the 10 positions listed here from 4A schools I know at least 4 of the coaches were pushed out (as fact), have heard of another 2 of those positions as that being the reason (don't know as fact - just the feeling of other coaches).

There are some Assistant Coach openings at Des Moines North HS. The new coach coached at Coe College for a while I heard. Heard he was a really good guy. Tough spot though.

I just read the article in the Nonpareil. First off the candidates that TJ would have gotten would not have been coaches with great records or experience anyway. I don't mind the hire at all. They just had a coach that had some experience and they won 3 games in the last 3 years. It doesn't matter about coaching experience it matters if you can develop players. The x's and o's are the easiest thing to learn and this guy sounds like he can build good relationships with the players. If he can develop players that can be ok. They won't win for at least 3-4 years because it will take that long to get some of the youth players he can develop into the system but it can work. Its not like 25 years ago either when a school could hire the best coach and get them a teaching job, now many schools have to go with who they can get because most of the best coaches are also teachers and need to have a full time position. Lots of school are cutting positions and can't alway garuantee a teaching spot which ends up cutting into the candidate pool.

Sorry bb wiz, I think you're missing the point, or maybe I read a different article. I've never seen a list or heard of who applied, but of 16 applicants (which I assume is a decent number) you really think this is the person with the best credentials? Really? We're talking varsity basketball here. How does one develop skills in players when you've never played or coached the sport? Read a book? Maybe I could read a how to book and become a doctor or a surgeon. This isn't about being buddy/buddy with the players or getting on the job training. Plus the fact that learning the x's and o's probably doesn't happen over-night either. This is a varsity basketball program. TJ plays in a tough conference against good, veteran coaches, and this decision is just bad for the kids. Do you really think this is fair for them? We'll have to see how the players and parents feel about the relationships (which you say is important and IF he develops skills that can be ok), after a few 50 point beat downs next season. Hirings like this just make me realize my decision to send my daughter to AL was the right one.

I am by no means a "bb wiz" but have coached varsity bball at the large school level in both the girls and boys game and have known many great coaches that had a vast amount of bball knowledge that did well (and some that struggled) and known some great coaches that had no bball experience as a player but got into coaching and have done well. Case in point was a top 5 large school team this year that made back to back state tourneys with a coach that couldn't make a lay-up if you asked them to.

It comes down to this, if your daughter can't play basketball by the time she gets to high school there is not one high school coach that could make her good. It will have been to late for them. So if this guy can get girls to put time in and have fun with it starting in 3rd and 4th grade they can be successful.

And TJ plays in the worst large school basketball conference in the state of Iowa, they didn't have one 4A team that even had an above .500 record this year and only Sioux City North has been good over the past 10 years. The MRAC is horrible in girls basketball and probably always will be or at least that won't be changing anytime soon.

I will agree to disagree with you on your comments. I obviously can't get you to see the big picture here, and I see no sense in trying. As a product of the CB schools, I have witnessed TJ and AL being the whipping posts first for the Omaha schools and now for the SC schools (that includes Heelan and Sargent-Bluff) for years. When TJ finally gets a chance to maybe improve their program, they pull a boner like this. It's frustrating. I'm also tired of LC, SA, Harlan, Glenwood, etc.. running all over the TJ teams. I wasn't disappointed when the former coach resigned. Even with all her experience, (yes, experience) she was probably in over her head. I'll also bet your large school superstar coach didn't get his/her first ever basketball coaching job with the large school varsity team, probably had to come up through the system. Again, you are totally missing the point here. Then again, instead of listening to reason, you seem to have all the answers.

I will agree to disagree with you, you are quite antagonistic, I don't claim to have all the answers. I have an opinion and my years of coaching in large schools and fostering friendships with many of those coaches I think I am able to have a unbiased opinion, especially in this case, which it seems you can not. This new coach obviously can't do any worse than the coach that was just there, so why not give them a chance :)

TJ will be the whipping post for at least a couple more years no matter who you brought into coach because they just don't have the players to compete. The best school in CB has been Lewis Central who usually wins big against other CB schools but when they play teams from the CIML they get hammered too. Council Bluffs girls bball just isn't to that level yet. Give this guy a chance before condemning him.

Personally I think Hawks reasoning and logic was very good. Just my opinion, but I think the first priority at TJ has to be to increase numbers, while working on building a strong youth program that develops skills and numbers. Sounds like the person they hired has the charisma to get kids out. Now he needs to get some strong X/O, and skill development people on board at both the HS and youth level.

Do you have any idea who the other potential candidates were? Obviously you are not happy with the pick, but, if you truly want to see the program succeed, get on board and see what you can do to help.

I'm feeling tension in the air between some folks here. It appears all the recent posts about CB basketball have some good points. What I read is that bball post is upset with the school for the hire, not at the person hired. Huge difference, that's just my opinion. Considering the new coach's lack of bb background, I have to agree that I doubt if very many other schools in the state (regardless of class) would make such a choice as a head coach. I too have my doubts that this situation is going to end well. I agree that one does not have to be a former player to be a good coach, though it can't hurt. He will need excellent assistant coaches to make this work. Finding those people could be a real challenge. Can he get kids out for bb and keep them out? Only time will tell. That will his most important issue to address. As far as numbers, a lot of schools are hurting for bb participants. Volleyball and its club season seems to be the priority sport now. The youth program has been in place for a lot of years, but the high school results have not been as evident as the SC programs have been, so I don't know what you change there. I guess we'll just have to see what happens and hope it works out for the best.

hawkbb101 Posted on 4/9/2012
Re: Head Girls Basketball Openings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These were just the 4A-5A openings so far, not sure if any have been filled yet.
Jefferson
Johnston
Valley
Kennedy
Urbandale
Bettendorf
Lewis Central
CB Abe Lincoln
Sioux City East
North Scott (not posted yet as coach doesn't want to leave)

Thats 21% of the 48 largest schools in Iowa - and there could be 2-3 more before the end of April.

SEP may be added to this list in due time, and NS would be the choice destination if the Board tables their intended option not to renew current coaches contract. Many indicators leading to Borrison getting back closer to his old grounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT