ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coaching Openings

Did Ryan Luehrsmann? Who did the players want?
This is what I was told by some Xavier grads over the weekend. One has a sibling in the program. The players wanted one of the assistant coaches to get it. Apparently he had players, parents and coaches on his side but Freeman had the football coach on his side and it is no secret that football runs Xavier so Freeman is the coach. I have no skin in the game, I just joined this sight to see about the Marion coach but when I saw your post saying it was a great hire, I am putting it out there that not everyone sees it that way. I don't know Freeman, I hope he does well, but if what I was told is true then some shady business went on at Xavier. Which honestly, doesn't surprise me.

I believe Freeman is also an assistant football coach at Xavier. So that makes sense.

Shady business also doesn't surprise a lot of people. As is usually the case, justified or unjustified, won't find too much sympathy for Xavier or any of the private schools on this message board lol.

At least Xavier has their guy running the Iowa High $chool Athletic Association.

Reactions: Sam Tarly
Been following to see who everyone got. I think the 3 3A schools went with the person that best fit their needs. Guys who love the school and are planning to be around. Marion's new coach has been there a while has some coaching history, been under a number of good solid coaches and a great fit for the school. Xavier, a former grad that has college coaching experience (head coach or not) and Solon a former player that has a passion for the school. Hard to argue any of those. Bottom line is, it seems they all got what was good for the school. Current players may or may not like it right away but the coach is going to (hopefully) be there longer than a class of kids going into their Sr year.
It looks like CR Jefferson got a good one too. To get someone with that background to come in and take over a program that has potential is big.

Reactions: Hawki45
Woah. That is crazy. Just hope it isn’t anything to serious. He’s a great coach and is always getting the most out of the girls.

Reactions: Sam Tarly
Been following to see who everyone got. I think the 3 3A schools went with the person that best fit their needs. Guys who love the school and are planning to be around. Marion's new coach has been there a while has some coaching history, been under a number of good solid coaches and a great fit for the school. Xavier, a former grad that has college coaching experience (head coach or not) and Solon a former player that has a passion for the school. Hard to argue any of those. Bottom line is, it seems they all got what was good for the school. Current players may or may not like it right away but the coach is going to (hopefully) be there longer than a class of kids going into their Sr year.
It looks like CR Jefferson got a good one too. To get someone with that background to come in and take over a program that has potential is big.
Yep, but you need those upperclassmen on board to set the tone and build community. If they don't buy into what the new coach is selling it could be a long road.

Hearing Iowa City High will remove the interim head coach tag on long time assistant Brennan Swayzer and promote him to head coach.

This is what I was told by some Xavier grads over the weekend. One has a sibling in the program. The players wanted one of the assistant coaches to get it. Apparently he had players, parents and coaches on his side but Freeman had the football coach on his side and it is no secret that football runs Xavier so Freeman is the coach. I have no skin in the game, I just joined this sight to see about the Marion coach but when I saw your post saying it was a great hire, I am putting it out there that not everyone sees it that way. I don't know Freeman, I hope he does well, but if what I was told is true then some shady business went on at Xavier. Which honestly, doesn't surprise me.
Why would Schulte care at all about who got the basketball job? Aren't all his sons graduated? Freeman seems to have a pretty good resume

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT