Apr 28, 2005
That time of the year...

Iowa City High (5-17)
Humboldt (8-12)
North Butler (3-15)
Des Moines North (18-5)
Ottumwa (6-15)

Last edited:
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...xavier-boys-basketball-coach-resigns-20190328

Looks like he’s stepping down to spend more time with his family. Can’t blame him for that. Xavier and Marion both have talented teams coming back, will be interesting to follow along with those hires.
I heard rumor from someone with ties to Xavier basketball that speculation is that Linn-Mar coach might not have many years left at the school, and the Louie might want to be closer to Marion where he has his business, with a few years off to recharge until that happens.

Kirkwood 31-4, National Champions

Bryan Petersen, former Clinton/Kirkwood/Iowa State standout and coached two national titles at Kirkwood, taking a D1 assistant job)

Xavier, Marion and Solon all hire alums....is there anything deeper about this or just a coincidence?

Mike Freeman (Idaho) is one of what my guess is only two former NCAA Div. I assistants who are Iowa high school head coaches. The other is Waukee's Justin Ohl (Drake).

Mike Freeman (Idaho) is one of what my guess is only two former NCAA Div. I assistants who are Iowa high school head coaches. The other is Waukee's Justin Ohl (Drake).
Sure D1 experience is nice, but there is a difference between high school and college ball. He has no head coaching experience. And the rumor I heard is he is not the guy the players wanted. He might work out, he might not, but all I am saying it is a bit premature to call it a great hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT