Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn
Cherokee
Union
East Marshall
North Mahaska
Waco
Maquoketa
This post was edited on 4/8 9:04 AM by super_tecmo_bowl

Did not realize Beckman was open? What is the story there? They have always been a strong program.

From Jeff Johnson

Wes Bruns has resigned as head boys' basketball coach at Mount Vernon.

Heard an interesting rumor about the potential West Branch hire. Someone who got run off making a comeback?

Humboldt's coach is heading to the metro pursuing a future administrative job. Finishes his masters soon I believe.

Mt. Vernon was a player/parent issue... I didn't follow them much of the season, but once I did I found out quickly they would play 6-7 kids a game and suddenly it was 6-7 kids in another game. 1 or 2 kids that were playing earlier didn't play in upcoming games. I don't know if the issue was those players or the kids that replaced them were sitting for a reason. I do know that they began putting things together as the year progressed.

Assumption hired a former alumni and All-American basketball player at St. Ambrose. He takes over after coaching with Samford University. Assumption will be a work in progress position over the next few years, but they are looking up from the younger classes.

His nephew Trent was the leading scorer for freshman last year and played a few good games at sophomore level as well. That didn't have an influence in his decision, but I'm sure it didn't hurt at all.

Humboldt coach was my former classmate. He comes from a good lineage as a basketball coach. You can be sure if the chance arises he will coach. Not sure if that will be as the head of a program, but he will definitely be involved.

Parent/Player issues are lame. This has become the common theme in sports anymore and that is why there are less coaches more job openings. END of the day though, if a school likes a coach they should support them and not just give into whiny parents about playing time. Everyone thinks their kid is Lebron, when most of em couldn't ride pine at an NAIA school. BE realistic.

That's what drove the Burlington Notre Dame boys coach off last year. Two parents didn't like how he ran things. At least that is the rumors. I thought he was a damn fine coach. Heck one of the alledged parent who helped run him off his kids were all done playing.

I don't know the whole situation completely, but from what I am aware of the Center/best post player for Mt.Vernon quit the team. I am not sure if that was the reason or the other issues. I know that Mt.Vernon is not an easy school to coach at, because it is a rich community and frankly when money gets to a persons head they can be difficult to deal with. The community support is sub par for the boys basketball program as well. I saw them play at home twice. The girls games were before hand and you couldn't find a seat. The boys games were not even half full. When they played districts I could count the student section on one hand, literally. I thought they had a small contingent of students and I realized it was leftover Maquoketa students.

Originally posted by WhiteShadowHoops:
Holy lord they are dropping like flies these coaches.
It does seem like more jobs are opening this year. Not sure if that really is true.

I have heard Hall of Fame coach Jim Squires will come out of retirement to become the head coach at Dyersville Beckmann, after a long and successful career at Marquette Catholic in Bellevue. I believe he has a grandson who will be a senior at Beckmann next year. Good hire for Beckmann.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT