ADVERTISEMENT

GVC Recruiting

Anonymous111

Freshman
Jun 27, 2018
In class 1A there are 5 private school in the state basketball tournament. The obvious one that recruits is grandview christian. The other 4 however “recruit” according to some, but not to others. St. Mary’s with baseball, St. Alberts and Garrigan with football, Prince of peace... (I know they do not recruit.), and GVC with basketball. I do not believe all of these schools recruit in fact I only think one of them do. I want to hear what some people have to say about this and if they have anything to back up there claims. It is pretty suspicious how dominant private schools have been in all sports the past 5-8 years

Well to be honest. With garrigan and st alberts atleast. They do get some transfers but I wouldn’t really say they are recruiting. When your a great team, great players are gonna want to play for you.

Reactions: JustCourtney
I don't think the majority of the private schools"recruit". Most have started a tradition and kids just end up wanting to be part of it. I grew up around Western Christian and I didn't ever think they recruited but guys in the area sought them out for their tradition.
Grandview Christian is an entirely different animal. Coach Stubb's has turned this situation into an embarrassment in my opinion. His connection with a certain somebody has brought him athletes that are rarely seen in 1A, and they keep coming. The real loser in this entire thing is the kids in these small communities that grow up competing with their classmates. The trueness of sports competition has gone out the window.

I really felt for the kids at North Linn last year. One of the best class 1A teams I’ve ever seen. Those kids grew up playing with each other and we’re just as good if not better then grandview who brought in everyone just to win some class 1A titles. The only other school I believe that for sure recruits is dowling. I sometimes wonder about Regina for football. I mean If I lived in that area and was a good football player that’s where I’d want to play as well

Well, of course all private schools “recruit”. I mean, how else would they have any students? What you are asking is do they specifically recruit high performering athletes?

There’s no doubt that kids want to go places where they can win, albeit public (Valley, Van Meter) or private (many examples). That being said, there have been no cited examples where private schools are giving “athletic” scholarships, no matter what some message board warriors say. That being said, there will always be affluent parents willing to pony up tuition so their kids can have top notch, yet possibly less affluent, teammates. I think that’s what goes on in many cases, but as private schools grow, and things like the STO grow, many, many more families are getting scholarship dollars at all private schools, and it’s getting bigger.

Now, I say all that to ask our GVC members here, I’m hearing that maybe the tide of public opinion (at least privately, internally) is turning against Coach Stubbs’ recruiting tactics and maybe we won’t see a reload next year? Any comment?

The vast majority do not recruit any more than a public school "recruits." Parents and the players often decide where they want to go, based on their friends and opportunities to play on a talented team. In almost every city I know, the top players just "seem" to accumulate in successful programs. The private school "advantage" is more open boundaries, whereas the pubic schools have the advantage of a denser population of students attending their schools. However, when a tiny school like GVC can compete with Iowa City West, it certainly raises eyebrows. Private schools tend to be in larger communities, and throw a "wider net" to attract students. Anyone can Google best private schools in Iowa and discover that the tippity top don't even field athletic teams, and the best which do, like IC Regina, Dowling and Wahlert, are primarily college prep schools with higher SAT and ACT scores among the whole student body, whereas in public schools, perhaps somewhat over half the students take these tests. Since GVC doesn't rank particularly high academically, you begin to wonder why students want to go there, except for religious training and discipline, which is a legitimate reason for many families. Normally, schools "cycle" through successful, winning years and "down years" with losing records. Wahlert, for example, had three losing seasons before Cordell Pemsl, Riley Till and their class came through, and they have had three straight losing seasons since they graduated. That is more "normal." When you win all the time, like some programs, there is either a phenomenal sports culture in that school (which can happen in certain sports) or else kids are attracted to that school by its constant success, and you have the Iowa City West basketball and Dowling football situation, where parents send their player children to those schools because they are both good in academics and in particular sports. Multipliers, based on participation statistics, etc., can force private schools into higher classes of competition, but it hurts the majority of private schools that aren't particularly good in certain sports. Iowa probably does as good a job at handling fairness in athletics as any state in the country, in my estimation.

Last edited:
I 100% agree with what you said EastIowaHawk, except one key point. I don’t believe Iowa does a “great” job when it comes to being fair to all schools wether they are private or public. No matter how you try to make it sound, what Grandview Christian is doing is fundamentally wrong at the class 1A level. 1A basketball is suppose to be small town kids and or very small private schools (such as Ankeny Christian and GVC, although they are located in large population centers) playing with the kids they’ve had for many years. Communities coming together to support there children they’ve watched grow up through there schools. It’s the very spirit of class 1A. And the fact the state hasnt done anything to prevent tragedies like this from happening is baffling to me. I’m not claiming I know the right answer. Because I dont. I believe GVC will 3 peat this year. And I do understand that it has nothing to do with the kids who are truly there for what the school has to offer and not just athletics. But man it’s just tough to watch

I was trying to say things in a nice way, but I do agree with Anonymous111. The 1A class should be about small schools which some years have strong teams, and other years, and maybe most years, don't. Not the class for a powerhouse juggernaut in which some of the players aren't remotely from that area, and that can "re-stock" every year..

Last edited:
I get the sentiments in the posts above.

The questions I have is how would you define when that line is crossed. Private schools will have several students transfer in and out each year. Some may be local, some moving in to the area that year, some foreign exchange, or foreign living in Iowa.

Do you limit the number of foreign students that can participate in a certain sport each year?
Do you limit the amount of local transfers that can participate?

It's tough to know how to draw those lines

One thought I had would be to have 2 separate classes and brackets for private. One small class of 1a and 2a, then a large class of 3a, 4a.

Guys this is ridiculous. No one is actually recruiting in the way you believe they are. Excellence breeds excellence. Mix that in with good coaching and kids/parents will want to get their child into that program if they are able to. I’ve been in public schools my whole life and the good programs there also get good players to come to them.

Everyone needs to stop assuming they no why a certain child or family attends a certain school.

Guys this is ridiculous. No one is actually recruiting in the way you believe they are. Excellence breeds excellence. Mix that in with good coaching and kids/parents will want to get their child into that program if they are able to. I’ve been in public schools my whole life and the good programs there also get good players to come to them.

Everyone needs to stop assuming they no why a certain child or family attends a certain school.
You have absolutely no idea what u are talking about. Grandview most definitely recruits exactly how these guys are thinking. One guy adopted multiple kids. These kids apparently have “brothers” all over the nation. And they are all the same age... seems fishy. Also seems fishy they are all 6’8 and freaky athletic. These guys most definitely recruit in more ways than one. Yes it’s great the kids are getting homes and getting fed. It’s a lot better situation than they would be in in their home country or state. But still the kids are getting USED for basketball. This all comes down to some rich, egotistical adults that don’t care about the kids and care more about their own popularity and basketball. Having a son in a private school and another son who graduated from a public school. It is a fact that both public and private schools recruit. But once you start adopting kids from other states or COUNTRIES! Then it crosses the line and you have become a basketball academy.

Yep, I have no idea what I’m talking about.

Says the person who apparently just has an axe to grind with grandview. I don’t claim to know grandview and what is going on because I don’t work there, don’t send a kid there, and don’t know the reason behind these kids from other counties being here. But neither do you and that friend is the problem. Your yourself may have some shreds or pieces of information about these players or so called recruits but you don’t have the whole story. So rather than getting the whole story (which you don’t care about anyway), you decide to just spin your own story and call it fact.

Sioux City, Storm Lake...areas I’m more familiar with have a lot of “foreign born” kids who come from Africa. Some play at public, some end up at the private schools up there like St Mary’s and Western and Unity.

Regardless, of what I know...this is more about what you don’t know. You don’t know the full story, have bits and pieces of information, yet decide to write on a message board as if you know the kids, their families, their adopted families, their schools, their coaches, their teachers, the mission and vision of the said place they attend...etc, etc

Yep, I have no idea what I’m talking about.

Says the person who apparently just has an axe to grind with grandview. I don’t claim to know grandview and what is going on because I don’t work there, don’t send a kid there, and don’t know the reason behind these kids from other counties being here. But neither do you and that friend is the problem. Your yourself may have some shreds or pieces of information about these players or so called recruits but you don’t have the whole story. So rather than getting the whole story (which you don’t care about anyway), you decide to just spin your own story and call it fact.

Sioux City, Storm Lake...areas I’m more familiar with have a lot of “foreign born” kids who come from Africa. Some play at public, some end up at the private schools up there like St Mary’s and Western and Unity.

Regardless, of what I know...this is more about what you don’t know. You don’t know the full story, have bits and pieces of information, yet decide to write on a message board as if you know the kids, their families, their adopted families, their schools, their coaches, their teachers, the mission and vision of the said place they attend...etc, etc
You have no idea what I do or don’t know. Or who I do or don’t know.

The problem I have with the private schools in the smaller classes is that they are drawing from much larger population area than your typical small school. I think that is a definite advantage for the private schools in that area. Example is the 1A tourney field. The four of the five private schools in the field draw from: GVC-Des Moines area(AND BEYOND), St. Alberts-Council Bluffs/Omaha area, Prince of Peace-Clinton area, Garrigan-Algona area. The only private school not in a bigger city is Remsen SM, and they generally do not pick up the city kids, they are, for the most part your rural Iowa kids.
Now to say that there is not an advantage gained by these private schools in the bigger cities, in my opinion is wrong. I think, and it might be hard to prove, there is an advantage. Do they recruit just for sports? Who really knows, but the point being is they are drawing from a much larger population area and that is an advantage, wether they want to admit it or not. The Boys Association needs to take a look at this, sooner rather than later.

The problem I have with the private schools in the smaller classes is that they are drawing from much larger population area than your typical small school. I think that is a definite advantage for the private schools in that area. Example is the 1A tourney field. The four of the five private schools in the field draw from: GVC-Des Moines area(AND BEYOND), St. Alberts-Council Bluffs/Omaha area, Prince of Peace-Clinton area, Garrigan-Algona area. The only private school not in a bigger city is Remsen SM, and they generally do not pick up the city kids, they are, for the most part your rural Iowa kids.
Now to say that there is not an advantage gained by these private schools in the bigger cities, in my opinion is wrong. I think, and it might be hard to prove, there is an advantage. Do they recruit just for sports? Who really knows, but the point being is they are drawing from a much larger population area and that is an advantage, wether they want to admit it or not. The Boys Association needs to take a look at this, sooner rather than later.
I agree with almost everything you say except that algona is not a large city lol. But yes I agree that is apart of some of these schools recruiting. When you can promise a 3rd string kid at a 4A they will start at ur school and be really good, they will go to ur school etc. And a lot of the the time these kids coming from bigger schools will be better for prepared and trained.

Saintpeteiowa, I totally understand that you don’t want to crucify the school for what’s transpired the past 2 years. But the evidence is to much. They 100% do recruit for basketball. That state of Iowa is lucky that there other brother, who is the #1 center in the nation of the class of 2020 didn’t transfer as well. I believe it is because he is an NBA prospect and would be the opposite of beneficial for him to come play in iowa

It is hard to lump all private schools in with GVC as what they are doing is unprecedented as far as I can remember. As far as recruiting goes it really is more than just a private school issue. I look at many of the schools outside of Des Moines. They too are benefiting from kids transferring in for better playing opportunities at a smaller school. In fact, you see as many kids, if not more, moving around public schools as you do private. I think it is just the reality of how things work these days. Kids and parents are going to do what they think is best for them without holding loyalties to a hometown or school district. I agree though that it is a larger issue at the small school level as your 1A schools in larger cities will have much more of that going on than your typical small town school.

Also, what in the heck is the deal with saintpete. Start a thread about how private schools have an unfair advantage and then defend GVC? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I would also love to know who all these kids are from Storm Lake and Sioux City playing for Western and Unity? Talk about not knowing much.

It is hard to lump all private schools in with GVC as what they are doing is unprecedented as far as I can remember. As far as recruiting goes it really is more than just a private school issue. I look at many of the schools outside of Des Moines. They too are benefiting from kids transferring in for better playing opportunities at a smaller school. In fact, you see as many kids, if not more, moving around public schools as you do private. I think it is just the reality of how things work these days. Kids and parents are going to do what they think is best for them without holding loyalties to a hometown or school district. I agree though that it is a larger issue at the small school level as your 1A schools in larger cities will have much more of that going on than your typical small town school.

Also, what in the heck is the deal with saintpete. Start a thread about how private schools have an unfair advantage and then defend GVC? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I would also love to know who all these kids are from Storm Lake and Sioux City playing for Western and Unity? Talk about not knowing much.

Not surprising his account was made TODAY

In class 1A there are 5 private school in the state basketball tournament. The obvious one that recruits is grandview christian. The other 4 however “recruit” according to some, but not to others. St. Mary’s with baseball, St. Alberts and Garrigan with football, Prince of peace... (I know they do not recruit.), and GVC with basketball. I do not believe all of these schools recruit in fact I only think one of them do. I want to hear what some people have to say about this and if they have anything to back up there claims. It is pretty suspicious how dominant private schools have been in all sports the past 5-8 years
Yeah, it is suspicious how dominant Garrigan has been, but not because of recruiting......thank you for bringing this to light.

I don't think the majority of the private schools"recruit". Most have started a tradition and kids just end up wanting to be part of it. I grew up around Western Christian and I didn't ever think they recruited but guys in the area sought them out for their tradition.
Grandview Christian is an entirely different animal. Coach Stubb's has turned this situation into an embarrassment in my opinion. His connection with a certain somebody has brought him athletes that are rarely seen in 1A, and they keep coming. The real loser in this entire thing is the kids in these small communities that grow up competing with their classmates. The trueness of sports competition has gone out the window.
The embarrassing thing is Stubbs doing this to win 1A titles.

Copying the Regina dynasty formula, I see.... (always gotta throw shade at Pine and cid :cool:)

I understand the criticism in this case. But, GVC is certainly bringing attention, attendance and interest to 1A basketball. There would not be a 25+ page post about the 1A State Tournament without them. Far fewer people would be interested in that class than they are now.

I understand the criticism in this case. But, GVC is certainly bringing attention, attendance and interest to 1A basketball. There would not be a 25+ page post about the 1A State Tournament without them. Far fewer people would be interested in that class than they are now.
Vince McMahon thinks that way as well. Any reaction is a good reaction......

That's why he booked Roman Reigns to be this dominant face for years when nobody wanted him to be the dominant face of the WWE.......because he always got a reaction (he got booed mercilessly.....while portraying the "good guy").

GVC isn't bringing positive awareness to other Class 1A programs, or the class itself.

All the attention is on them, and not all of it is good.

Well as I recall, not to long ago, a team by the name of north linn who did not recruit brought quite a bit of attention if not more then GVC did. Danville at one point also had 1A buzzing.

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset. I can’t really say for sure if any of these schools recrtuit with certainty (except Grand view Christian). The only 2 private schools who i feel truly don’t recruit at all are St Mary’s and Prince of Peace. It is a bit odd how dominant garrigan has been in the past 4 years both in football and in basketball and the same goes for St Alebrts. But again, like I said, I just don’t really know because I’m not in that area really to know for sure

Just sit back and enjoy the show next week. Go to any big city outside of Iowa, and these kids are a dime a dozen. Watch the lid come of the well when Harouna dunks from the free throw line next week, with style (cocking the ball back and kicking back his feet to his butt).... $10 to watch them play is worth the price of admission. You guys thought Barnes could dunk, you ain't seen nothing yet. The sad thing is they got the 9:30 am game on Monday. Get your popcorn and eggs ready, oh and Issa is a frea_ too... Dont want to pull a Dolphin.... They have 3 dunkers that will bring the house down. Let's just enjoy watching them dunk on poor little farm kids. The best reactions are usually the kids on the opposing bench. They get a front row seat.

This guy did not just compare Issa and Horuna to Harrison barns Lol. May have been the dumbest thing I’ve heard all year. There not even power 5 caliber D1 players

When it comes to dunking only, Harouna is hands down the best Iowa has ever seen. I'm talking strictly from an entertainment perspective, which is what high school sports are, if you don't have a dog in the fight.

Just sit back and enjoy the show next week. Go to any big city outside of Iowa, and these kids are a dime a dozen. Watch the lid come of the well when Harouna dunks from the free throw line next week, with style (cocking the ball back and kicking back his feet to his butt).... $10 to watch them play is worth the price of admission. You guys thought Barnes could dunk, you ain't seen nothing yet. The sad thing is they got the 9:30 am game on Monday. Get your popcorn and eggs ready, oh and Issa is a frea_ too... Dont want to pull a Dolphin.... They have 3 dunkers that will bring the house down. Let's just enjoy watching them dunk on poor little farm kids. The best reactions are usually the kids on the opposing bench. They get a front row seat.
No, kid.

Reactions: Anonymous111
And now we're talking about the WWE. This site's gone to crap in the last few days. Hopefully there's some actual meaningful state basketball discussions soon.
Lol don't be mad that I used the WWE for a comparison.

Besides, if it's gone to crap, it's only because you haven't been around to hold hands with everyone and talk about how great each team, player and coach is, especially in NW Iowa ;) (which is really why this Rivals site fell off in the first place.......in its real glory days, this wasn't a "sunshine and rainbows for everyone/ let's all feel good about each other" site.)

Harrison barns was the #1 prospect in the country, was far more athletic vertically, laterally, and sprinting speed. Like you said, Horuna is doing this to “farm kids” barns was doing it to schools with 1000s of kids

This guy did not just compare Issa and Horuna to Harrison barns Lol. May have been the dumbest thing I’ve heard all year. There not even power 5 caliber D1 players
It’s gonna be funny when those little farm kids get physical with them and they cant handle it and get all frustrated

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT