ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Boys Track Squad in Iowa History

Apr 15, 2012
This is a carry-over from another thread about the state meet predictions.

Ames, City, Davenport Central, Other?

I could see an Ames team of old doing something like that (Scoring over 100 points). They had pretty good depth in those days. Hard to compare the pre-8 place scoring system & non-equal relay points to individual points, no shuttle, pole vault, no pole vault, 2 day format to what is going on today in 3 days but I don't doubt that there were some darned good teams between Davenport Central, Ames and City High.

So, that begs the question; What was the greatest boys track team for a single season in Iowa history?
Just the facts please.... Maybe Mike Jay could help us with this one.

The state meet program lists Ames as having won 20 titles followed by Dav. Central 14, Des Moines East & City High at 11 each. Coach Sletten at Ames had 9 and Coach Raffensperger at City had 10. Coach Augustine at DM East had 9, 8 for Coach Covey at Ames and 7 for Coach Dunsworth at Dav. Central. Ames and City High had the most consecutive at 6.

We haven't seen a string put together for some time. The closest I can think of is IC West finishing 1st or 2nd 5 out of the last 7 years but not the same as laying one down after another. CR Wash was the last with two in a row in 2009 & 2010.

The longest streak on the girls side is 4 by Atlantic, Tipton and North Tama. Coach Henderson at Atlantic has the most with 7.

Waukee and Linn-Mar are communities that look to be on the rise with running paradigms that appear to be important to their schools for both genders in cross country and track. Maybe they will be the next Dynasties on the horizon as the Waukee girls now have 2 consecutive to go with their 2009 title.
This post was edited on 5/20 2:58 PM by On Wings of Eagles

Unfortunately, most people on an online forum aren't going to be old enough to remember the glory days of Ames High, City High, etc...

Mike Jay would be a good source. Sletten himself would certainly have much to talk about and generally shares his opinions freely. Knowing him personally, he would find a fault somewhere with his own squads as he is the type of guy who always wants more.

DSM East's 73 points in 1951 would have to be approaching or clearing 100 points. Back then, only top 5 scored with a breakdown of individuals: 6-4-3-2-1 and relays: 10-8-6-4-2. They did win 4 relays that year though, which leaves 33 points left to upgrade but a need of 60 to get to 100. They won the 100, 200, LJ, which brings their total to 70. And, 15 points left unspoken for with a need of 30. There is also the question mark of 6th/7th/8th place points. There was no 2-mile or shuttle then, but there was pole vault and football throw, so still 18 events (I think).

City High's 78 points in 1996 would be high as well; since the 71 points in 2000 turned into 94 points in the new system of scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT