ADVERTISEMENT

Grand View vs Murray

Just saw on Quik Stats that Murray scored 1 point in the 1st qtr...what happened! With a senior loaded line-up at home!!! Wow...either their coaches did a terrible job or their players just have no pride and didn't come to play. Can anybody who was there share what happened. I really thought Murray would give them a decent game.
I was there as my son plays on the team. :) Of course I am biased, but GV is just a solid, solid team, well balanced both offensively and defensively. They shut Murray down completely twice this year. They were just quicker and much better shooters.

I totally understand the skepticism about GV given their poor showing at state last year. But I'm telling you they are better than last year.

I totally understand the skepticism about GV given their poor showing at state last year. But I'm telling you they are better than last year.

I think most would agree with you - at least those that have seen them play. They are very quick defensively and equally hard to defend. Bench has been pretty solid too.

They didn't get a very favorable district draw. Not sure how a top seed has to possibly play at the 4 seed's home court (Nodaway Valley) in the 2nd game? Then, a possible match up with either ACA (who played them pretty close earlier) or Earlham before substate.

I think most would agree with you - at least those that have seen them play. They are very quick defensively and equally hard to defend. Bench has been pretty solid too.

They didn't get a very favorable district draw. Not sure how a top seed has to possibly play at the 4 seed's home court (Nodaway Valley) in the 2nd game? Then, a possible match up with either ACA (who played them pretty close earlier) or Earlham before substate.

Does GV not have a very big gym?

Pretty sure GVC plays their home games wherever they can get an opening. I know they play some at Faith Baptist in Ankeny, and I think they've played at DSM North too.

They are in the old Norwoodville Elementary building, so they may have a place to practice but it would have no seating. I'm not even sure if it's a full size court, it's been 30 years since I was in that building.

Yes, GV plays home games primarily at Faith Baptist Bible College in Ankeny when available, sometimes at the gym at what used to be known as AIB.

They do not practice at the school gym, as you are correct that it is an elementary gym. They practice elsewhere.

Not necessarily concerned about the Nodaway Valley game. The District Final, which will most likely be the winner of ACA (who always plays us very tough) vs. Earlham, may very well be a more difficult game than the substate draw.

Keep in mind last year we beat #3 Colo-Nesco in the District Final and then #10 Montezuma in the Substate Final. This year the highest competition in the district is #22 ACA and in the Substate #46 Stanton, so ON PAPER this should be an easier path to state. But games aren't played on paper and anything can happen so there is no overconfidence here!!!

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Not necessarily concerned about the Nodaway Valley game. The District Final, which will most likely be the winner of ACA (who always plays us very tough) vs. Earlham, may very well be a more difficult game than the substate draw.

Keep in mind last year we beat #3 Colo-Nesco in the District Final and then #10 Montezuma in the Substate Final. This year the highest competition in the district is #22 ACA and in the Substate #46 Stanton, so ON PAPER this should be an easier path to state. But games aren't played on paper and anything can happen so there is no overconfidence here!!!

Your comment forced me to look back at 2015-2016 BCMoore rankings. First thing I noticed that's just crazy is BoydenHull after the state tournament was complete, finished the year at #1 and didn't make it out of the district final. I realize teams don't always make it to state, but to finish the year at #1 and not even make it to the substate to me is just crazy.

And yes GV has an easier path to state this year. If they win any game leading up to state by less than 15 points, then let's get worried. :)

Your comment forced me to look back at 2015-2016 BCMoore rankings. First thing I noticed that's just crazy is BoydenHull after the state tournament was complete, finished the year at #1 and didn't make it out of the district final. I realize teams don't always make it to state, but to finish the year at #1 and not even make it to the substate to me is just crazy.

And yes GV has an easier path to state this year. If they win any game leading up to state by less than 15 points, then let's get worried. :)
BCMoore has GV over EU tonight by 40
GV beat ICA by 48 last game

GV 76-36 over East Union (running clock entire 2nd half). Earlham will be tougher test in District Final.

Tougher test as in they will only win by 25 instead of 40??

I'm guessing it will be around a 10 point game with GV eventually pulling it out. Earlham is a tough, physical team. It will likely be a slow-down / possession-by-possession game.

Earlham is a team to watch out for next year. They will have a lot of players back (only a couple seniors I think) and coming off a 17-5 record this year.

I'm guessing it will be around a 10 point game with GV eventually pulling it out. Earlham is a tough, physical team. It will likely be a slow-down / possession-by-possession game.

Earlham is a team to watch out for next year. They will have a lot of players back (only a couple seniors I think) and coming off a 17-5 record this year.
That sounds about right.

Tougher test as in they will only win by 25 instead of 40??
GV may win...but not by 25...ACA lost to GV by 9...I give Eham a shot in this one....one advantage is the season competition was tougher for Eham...a lopsided win would be a surprise...

Do Any of the people who argued when I said 25 minimum like to share their thoughts? Earlham is Not Good

Do Any of the people who argued when I said 25 minimum like to share their thoughts? Earlham is Not Good

I didn't read any of the posts from earlier as arguing, but maybe I'm reading/interpreting things differently. It is/was a nice call on your part for the 25 minimum.

Given Earlham beat ACA by a similar score that GVC beat ACA by earlier in the year, I was estimating the game would be a close 10-15 point affair. Looks like I was a bit off.

I've seen Earlham play a couple of times this year. Personally, I don't think they are a bad team. They'll have serveral players coming back from this year's 18-5 or so record, & play mostly 2A schools.

Your post stated Earlham is Not Good. Help me understand where you're coming from on that -- basing it on scores from games this year, watching them in person?

There are so many schools in 1A - very hard to keep track of them & know much about them, or catch them all live at some point in the season. I honestly can't speak much to the schools outside of my area.

As far as Earlham is concerned, let's look at some comparative scores:

2A #17 Des Moines Christian beat E by 37 (exact same score as GV) and 17
2A #19 Van Meter beat E by 11 and 1
2A #24 AHSTW (Avoca) beat E by 5

Those were E's only losses. However, to your point Jayz10, they did not really have any wins against really good teams, their two best wins were against 2A #56 I-35 by 24 and over 1A #28 Ankeny Christian by 11.

But keep in mind, Gladbrook-Reinbeck beat ACA by 14 on a home court while E beat them by 11 on a neutral court, so maybe Earlham isn't as bad as you are arguing. :)

Regarding GV's 9 point win over ACA earlier in the year...

GV and ACA are rivals so when they play all bets are off, just like Iowa-Iowa State. ACA always plays us tough and that game was no exception. It was our worst game of the season and like I said ACA played really well (the refs were also the worst I saw all season and called EVERYTHING).

So I think that game was a bit of an anomaly.

Earlham plays a lot of 2A schools during the season. But unfortunately None of them are good. The ones that were decent all beat earlham. The highest ranked 2A team that they beat was I35 #56 according to BC and even in that game they were favored which tells me i35 isn't any good either. So at what point do I look at their schedule and say that they are anything great. I certainly will not base it off of "GR beat ACA by 14 at home and earlham beat ACA by 11 on neutral court, b/c I don't think ACA is good either.

Regarding GV's 9 point win over ACA earlier in the year...

GV and ACA are rivals so when they play all bets are off, just like Iowa-Iowa State. ACA always plays us tough and that game was no exception. It was our worst game of the season and like I said ACA played really well (the refs were also the worst I saw all season and called EVERYTHING).

So I think that game was a bit of an anomaly.

Agree, the refs were highly questionable in that GVC-ACA game. Something like GVC 6-7 fouls to ACA 0 at both the start of the game and the 2nd half. Any touch was a foul on one end, the other end was "let em play". ACA did play a great game on top of it.

Earlham plays a lot of 2A schools during the season. But unfortunately None of them are good. The ones that were decent all beat earlham. The highest ranked 2A team that they beat was I35 #56 according to BC and even in that game they were favored which tells me i35 isn't any good either. So at what point do I look at their schedule and say that they are anything great. I certainly will not base it off of "GR beat ACA by 14 at home and earlham beat ACA by 11 on neutral court, b/c I don't think ACA is good either.
So Jayz can you get us your top 1A teams? Let's start with your top 5. I agree that Earlham is not that great, but I did think they would put up a better effort than 24 points! I don't know what happened, but I would have thought Earlham would have been up for this one and I would have thought their crowd would have given them a spark also since the game was like 15 min away from Earlham. I do think that Earlham relies on a sophomore, Drew Williamson, for their leadership and maybe he wasn't ready for a big game like that. That being said, I am becoming a believer in GVC. To win a district championship by 37 is pretty impressive. So if you could just share from your infinite wisdom who you think the top 5 teams in 1A are, then we can stop this banter because the great JayZ will have spoken.

Reactions: iowalongs230
Why would I give you that satisfaction? A while back you used the 1A AP poll to make an argument about how a good a team you thought was. On the other post you called the MVAO upset. That was good stuff. Stick with that. Don't defend a team that scores 24 points in a district final. That's just crazy

Jayz10, my point was you have talked up Gladbrook-Reinbeck several times and expressed bewilderment how GV was ranked ahead of them.

You have also said ACA is not good and Earlham is Not Good. And yet GR beat ACA by about the same amount of points as Earlham did. Of course you can do comparative scores til the cows come home and pretty much prove anything you want, but I think the point we're all trying to make is that when you look at all the data, GV is legit.

Are they better than GR? I've never said that and we have no way of knowing at this point. I think it would be a good game, that's for sure.

I never "talked up GR". I simply posed the question to BC regarding their records and their drastic difference in strength of schedule. That was it. Then Someone attacked me. I responded with my thoughts. You attacked me with your AP Poll argument (LOL). And then I posted this, and you never responded.

January 30:
"I have made it clear that I could care less about the AP poll especially in 1A. They basically go by record and that is stupid. I have also made it clear that 95% of BCMoore is what I follow. I simply posed the question to BC about how GV is ranked higher than GR (currently one spot higher) when the records are almost identical. The only difference is one has a strength of schedule of 125 out of 148 and the other has a SOS of 31 out of 148. You (HAWK2015) started this thread by saying the BLUGRASS was weak. So what are we arguing here exactly? "

Again you never responded.

Why would I give you that satisfaction? A while back you used the 1A AP poll to make an argument about how a good a team you thought was. On the other post you called the MVAO upset. That was good stuff. Stick with that. Don't defend a team that scores 24 points in a district final. That's just crazy

Ok JayZ, so you don't have the guts to make a Top 5 list, you just like to tear everyone else's posts apart. That's fine. I will put up my top 10 1A schools as of right now.
Then you can tell me how far off I am.

1. North Linn
2. Grand View Christian
3. Boyden Hull
4. Wapsie Valley
5. New London
6. Gladbrook Reinbeck
7. Lynville Sully
8. Danville
9. MVAO
10. CB St. Alberts

Upset Alert: Wapsie over North Linn

I think you are confusing me with another poster. I have never mentioned the ap poll, that was someone else.

But like I said earlier, I absolutely agree that GV's poor showing at state last year means I don't question any who says "Show me" to their ranking. Hopefully (from my perspective) they are able to change some minds this year at state, but we shall see.

January 30:
"I have made it clear that I could care less about the AP poll especially in 1A. They basically go by record and that is stupid. I have also made it clear that 95% of BCMoore is what I follow. I simply posed the question to BC about how GV is ranked higher than GR (currently one spot higher) when the records are almost identical. The only difference is one has a strength of schedule of 125 out of 148 and the other has a SOS of 31 out of 148. You (HAWK2015) started this thread by saying the BLUGRASS was weak. So what are we arguing here exactly? "

Again you never responded.[/QUOTE]

welcome to Jay-Z's PWN shop

So Jayz can you get us your top 1A teams? Let's start with your top 5. I agree that Earlham is not that great, but I did think they would put up a better effort than 24 points! I don't know what happened, but I would have thought Earlham would have been up for this one and I would have thought their crowd would have given them a spark also since the game was like 15 min away from Earlham. I do think that Earlham relies on a sophomore, Drew Williamson, for their leadership and maybe he wasn't ready for a big game like that. That being said, I am becoming a believer in GVC. To win a district championship by 37 is pretty impressive. So if you could just share from your infinite wisdom who you think the top 5 teams in 1A are, then we can stop this banter because the great JayZ will have spoken.
I was at the game, they just couldn't break GV's press and couldn't get good shots.

Ok JayZ, so you don't have the guts to make a Top 5 list, you just like to tear everyone else's posts apart. That's fine. I will put up my top 10 1A schools as of right now.
Then you can tell me how far off I am.

1. North Linn
2. Grand View Christian
3. Boyden Hull
4. Wapsie Valley
5. New London
6. Gladbrook Reinbeck
7. Lynville Sully
8. Danville
9. MVAO
10. CB St. Alberts

Upset Alert: Wapsie over North Linn

Sorry,meant to say Wapsie over Gladbrook

any reason why?
I don't think GR is playing very good ball right now. GR has had some closer games against average competition (BP & CN) and I think WV played a pretty tough schedule during the year and it should pay off when they play a tough Gladbrook team.

I think you are confusing me with another poster. I have never mentioned the ap poll, that was someone else.

But like I said earlier, I absolutely agree that GV's poor showing at state last year means I don't question any who says "Show me" to their ranking. Hopefully (from my perspective) they are able to change some minds this year at state, but we shall see.

You are correct. My mistake. My apology. It was hawk 2015

Agree with your assessment of GR. GR typically plays a zone. if Wapsie is shooting well (which they have been) they have good chance to win. If they cant stop GR on the inside, they don't have a very good shot.

I will say that BP was an underrated basketball team

I don't think GR is playing very good ball right now. GR has had some closer games against average competition (BP & CN) and I think WV played a pretty tough schedule during the year and it should pay off when they play a tough Gladbrook team.

I agree. But How come you can use strength of schedule in your argument, but if I do it, you get all defensive? Just asking...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT