ADVERTISEMENT

Grand View vs Murray

Hawk2015

Freshman
Jan 8, 2015
Guess we will see who belongs in the rankings after this one. BGC is so WEAK...no way that terrible conference should have 2 teams in the Top 10 rankings. Any predictions on this game?

Murray has the height advantage while GV has the defensive pressure.

My guess is GV quickness will give them the edge.

I have no idea what will happen, but if Murray can stay with GVC or beat them, they deserve to be highly ranked because GVC is the real deal.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
ACA stayed with GVC. Murray should try to follow that approach. Need to be able to handle the press and make it a half-court oriented game.

As mtdew points out, GVC is very quick / aggressive d, plays fast and can score quickly. Their bench is pretty solid as well. Murray will need to be able to handle the defensive pressure.

Hard to tell if either of these two teams are honesty worth a toot. Record means nothing to me. I know you can't help your schedule, but there are 148 1A schools in the state and 7 teams from this conference are in the bottom 30. That's terrible. So forgive me for not taking your "GVC is the real deal" comment serious.

GVC hung in with Pella for awhile early in the season. Last year, they battled PC tough at PC. I haven't seen them play this year, but they didn't lose much from last year's team. I know they have some poor teams in their conference, but that doesn't mean they're not legit. They can't do much about that, and they do seek to play up in non-conference games. It will remain to be seen if this prepares them well for the eventual battles that will come in the tournament.

The Bluegrass conference as a whole isnt good, but GV is legit. With basically the same team they made a great run in the state tourney last year.

Reactions: mylameusername
The Bluegrass conference as a whole isnt good, but GV is legit. With basically the same team they made a great run in the state tourney last year.

"Great run in the state tourney"? Lost first round to another NW Iowa team South Obrien, and scored 32 points. Got it.

Yep...same NW Iowa South O'Brien team that breezed through the rest of the State Tourney field.

QUOTE="Jayz10, post: 150728, member: 22405"]"Great run in the state tourney"? Lost first round to another NW Iowa team South Obrien, and scored 32 points. Got it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. So as I mentioned before---With the schedule they have, forgive me for not taking the "GV is the real deal," or your "GV is legit" comments seriously. At this point, why would I?

GVC was terrible at state last year. Stood on the perimeter and shot 3's the entire game. Not one free throw even attempted. One of the worst games I've ever seen a team play there. Maybe they are improved from last year, but to say they made a great run at state is a little much.

I saw that game. Could have attacked gap at baseline but never did. Settled for the three which wasn't falling. It was a bad game for them, but the balance of the year defines them... not just that game.

Game was cancelled last night. I'm guessing weather related?

Regarding the state game and attacking...(apologize in advance as I've said this in other threads)

The morning of the game, their starting guard and main slasher/driver, had a cast removed from his hand and was cleared by the drs. to play. Guessing his game was limited. Doesn't explain why others didn't drive, but they may have to had change game plans?

It was a bad game for them. I can understand the questions of how good they are. From what I've seen, this year's team is better than last year and will be difficult out. Bench seems pretty solid too.

Game was cancelled last night. I'm guessing weather related?

Regarding the state game and attacking...(apologize in advance as I've said this in other threads)

The morning of the game, their starting guard and main slasher/driver, had a cast removed from his hand and was cleared by the drs. to play. Guessing his game was limited. Doesn't explain why others didn't drive, but they may have to had change game plans?

It was a bad game for them. I can understand the questions of how good they are. From what I've seen, this year's team is better than last year and will be difficult out. Bench seems pretty solid too.

So am I safe to assume that GV was missing this starting guard/slasher/driver for multiple games leading up to the state tournament?

My son's team played GVC. They are real. Very fast on December, and quick strike on offense. There are ways to beat them but our coach didn't utilize other options. Don't overlook them.

My son's team played GVC. They are real. Very fast on December, and quick strike on offense. There are ways to beat them but our coach didn't utilize other options. Don't overlook them.

Which team do you speak of?

I see grand view had another nail biter Tuesday night. 115-42 win. SMH. How GladBrook Reinbeck is not ranked higher than grandview in BCMoore I don't understand. One is 11-2 with the 26th toughest schedule. And the other is 13-1 with the 139th toughest schedule. Keep in mind there's 148 total schools in 1A

Grand View defeated Murray Saturday 85-46 as part of the Bluegrass tournament.

They'll play a make-up game Feb. 4th @ Murray for the one cancelled in January.

Last edited:
I see grand view had another nail biter Tuesday night. 115-42 win. SMH. How GladBrook Reinbeck is not ranked higher than grandview in BCMoore I don't understand. One is 11-2 with the 26th toughest schedule. And the other is 13-1 with the 139th toughest schedule. Keep in mind there's 148 total schools in 1A
Looks like GV had another nail biter against the 7th ranked (AP Poll) team in 1A (won by 39)...while GR BLEW OUT (won by 23) the 106 ranked team (BC Moore Rankings). Yeah, Jayz10, GR should definitely by ranked higher than GV.

Looks like GV had another nail biter against the 7th ranked (AP Poll) team in 1A (won by 39)...while GR BLEW OUT (won by 23) the 106 ranked team (BC Moore Rankings). Yeah, Jayz10, GR should definitely by ranked higher than GV.

The AP poll? You have to be joking. Do you think these sports writers watch every team in the state? Most of them are totally clueless. I'll take GR and a number of other teams over GV any day. The blowout just shows how bad the Blue Grass is. You said it yourself in the OP

Did you just mention the AP poll in 1A? You must not pay attention. 95% of BCMoore is what we should all be following. AP poll in 1A is garbage. GR has 31st toughest schedule and GV has the 125th. Enough said. Please just stop talking. BTW I'm not even from GR. I just simply know what it's like watching 7 and 8 seeds beating 1 and 2 seeds in 1A In DesMoines because those 1 and 2 seeds play NO ONE all year long and crap their pants when they play someone worth a toot. Out of 148 total 1A schools in Iowa, why don't you get back to me when your strength of schedule is less than #100 LOL

I would just love to see these teams record if they were in NW Iowa. The worst team in the siouxland Conference would play with Grand View and they would beat Murray by 20.

I would just love to see these teams record if they were in NW Iowa. The worst team in the siouxland Conference would play with Grand View and they would beat Murray by 20.

Agreed 100%. Sibley ocheyedan hasn't won a game in the Siouxland yet, but was tied with Sioux center just the other night at the end of the 3rd. Sioux center needed a 21-5 fourth quarter to beat them. Boyden hull needed a late steal and an and-1 to win by 7 at home. I would say Murray could have 1 or 2 wins in the Siouxland and grandview would be right around .500 or less.
The Siouxland has more parity than I've seen in a long time. Usually it's the top 3 and the rest follow. This year The top 6 teams just continue to beat up on each other on any given night.

Lets just say it how it is.

Murray is having a good season.

Grand View Christian is a legit top 10 team regardless of the conference they are playing in.

We all know the Siouxland conference is tough every year and this season is no exception. No one is debating that.

Grand View Christian is a legit top 10 team regardless of the conference they are playing in.

We all know the Siouxland conference is tough every year and this season is no exception. No one is debating that.

And I've simply been asking from the start, how have come to that conclusion? What has GV done this year, last year, or in recent history to warrant such love?

MtDew...did you see the Murray/GV game? Did they just have an off night?

And I've simply been asking from the start, how have come to that conclusion? What has GV done this year, last year, or in recent history to warrant such love?
So Jayz...i should be paying attention to BC Moore and not the AP...except when GV is ranked above GR??? Then BC Moore doesn't have a clue...right?

So Jayz...i should be paying attention to BC Moore and not the AP...except when GV is ranked above GR??? Then BC Moore doesn't have a clue...right?

I have made it clear that I could care less about the AP poll especially in 1A. They basically go by record and that is stupid. I have also made it clear that 95% of BCMoore is what I follow. I simply posed the question to BC about how GV is ranked higher than GR (currently one spot higher) when the records are almost identical. The only difference is one has a strength of schedule of 125 out of 148 and the other has a SOS of 31 out of 148. You started this thread by saying the BLUGRASS was weak. So what are we arguing here exactly?

computer model has these inputs:
game margin and location for 2880 games

This creates 2880 equations (from the 2880 games).

Step 1:
Use ordinary least-squares regression to discover 453 team strengths (including 97 non-IA teams) and 1 home court-advantage strength

Step 2 - attempt to remove the effect of non-competitive games

Step 3 - discover other information.

Step 3.1 - discover schedule strength as the average of all team strengths played by each team.
Step 3.2 - discover conference strength as the average of all teams in a conference.
etc.

Important notes:

1. Schedule strength is calculated after team strengths are discovered and is not an input to the model.

2. My impression is that the association is planning on scheduling a state tournament -- this should add some good data to the analysis!

Last edited:
Wow. GV is averaging 89 point per game. That's impressive LOL. What's the over/under for their points scored in the first round of the state tournament this year? I'll set it at 51.5 depending on who they play.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
No doubt they will score less points in competitive games.

Are you suggesting they will make the State Tourney?

Wow. GV is averaging 89 point per game. That's impressive LOL. What's the over/under for their points scored in the first round of the state tournament this year? I'll set it at 51.5 depending on who they play.

How did the Murray/GV rematch turn out at Murray tonight? One week after GV beat them down...I bet Murray came out with firing on all cylinders. If anyone has a score, please post it.

Just saw on Quik Stats that Murray scored 1 point in the 1st qtr...what happened! With a senior loaded line-up at home!!! Wow...either their coaches did a terrible job or their players just have no pride and didn't come to play. Can anybody who was there share what happened. I really thought Murray would give them a decent game.

I am also really interested in this game. ACA is the 3rd best team in the Bluegrass...which really only has 3 good teams. Gladbrook-Reinbeck is a state power and is top in the NICL West, which also has 3 good teams (AGWSR & East Marshall).

On a side note, the bottom 3 teams in the NICL West aren't good....like they would confortably fit in with the Bluegrass Conference.

This game isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but should shed light some light on how good ACA is....and in turn potentially how good GVC and Murray are.

As for Gladbrook-Reinbeck, they have the best player in Class 1A in Joe Smoldt. You can't stop him from scoring. They also have some decent size in the post to rebound and get it back to Smoldt.

ACA @ GR this Friday (10th)....Will ACA be able to hold with GR? How deep is GR?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT