ADVERTISEMENT

Good read on boys vs. girls associations

The boys system is a good lesson on how you end up with a 30 point blowout in the championship game.

The District Pairings are not the problem. Those make sense and are based on mostly geographical reasons. The major problem is Substate. All they have to do is reseed the substate teams once they are determined. Then you can ensure all the strongly rated teams are matched up appropriately. Also BCMoore and AP are not exactly the Bible either. For instance, BC Moore has Meskawki ranked 13th and I believe the AP has them in the top 10 in Class A. They honestly don't play many legit teams. If you put them in a conference with more balance like the Twin Lakes, War Eagle, Siouxland, Western Valley, etc. they would be a middle of the road team. So their rankings aren't the end all be all either. I think reseeding substate teams and matching them up accordingly would put better product at Des Moines.

Originally posted by LukeFeddersen:
Follow the link below
"Since Iowa is the only state in the countries with separate governing bodies for high school athletics....

What's it going to take to combine the 2?
This post was edited on 1/20 1:44 PM by VanderHoops

Originally posted by WhiteShadowHoops:
The District Pairings are not the problem. Those make sense and are based on mostly geographical reasons. The major problem is Substate. All they have to do is reseed the substate teams once they are determined. Then you can ensure all the strongly rated teams are matched up appropriately. Also BCMoore and AP are not exactly the Bible either. For instance, BC Moore has Meskawki ranked 13th and I believe the AP has them in the top 10 in Class A. They honestly don't play many legit teams. If you put them in a conference with more balance like the Twin Lakes, War Eagle, Siouxland, Western Valley, etc. they would be a middle of the road team. So their rankings aren't the end all be all either. I think reseeding substate teams and matching them up accordingly would put better product at Des Moines.
Re-seed them maybe 1 to 4 within their own regional quadrant with 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 (all unofficial numbers hypothetically) in the substate round?

This way if Sioux Center is 4 and still ends up playing #1 Western Christian in the substate final, no one can complain........right?

Hypothetical/random ex: Western, IKM-Manning, St. Edmond, Sioux Center..........(Western vs Sioux Center / IKM vs SE in substate round. Winner advances to State.)

Originally posted by VanderHoops:
Originally posted by LukeFeddersen:
Follow the link below
"Since Iowa is the only state in the countries with separate governing bodies for high school athletics....

What's it going to take to combine the 2?
This post was edited on 1/20 1:44 PM by VanderHoops
A governing body to see the waste in duplicating something that 49 other states don't have. The problem is that they have no governing body..

It is obvious that the boys in Boone do not truly get it. All they seem to think about is the $$$. My goodness if the Girl's Union can think outside the proverbial box why can't the boy's association. I will give the Boone Brass a bit of a prop when it came to their football playoff pairings this past fall. They FINALLY showed some creativity. Notice I said some, I think they could have shown more but at least it was a start. Question for Mr. Tharp....do you REALLY think fans of basketball want a representative team for 8 distinct sections of the state? I think not. Remember it is called a CHAMPIONSHIP competition. As fans we would like to see as close as possible the best 8 teams that the state can offer. Will we ever see THE best 8 at state in a particular class.."no" but with some creativity Mr Tharp you could do a better job than you, smokey and the rest of the gang are currently doing.

Probably pretty high considering all they seem to care about in the AP is knowing which teams have 0 or 1 losses. Almost no thought seems to go into their voting.

Originally posted by WhiteShadowHoops:
Probably pretty high considering all they seem to care about in the AP is knowing which teams have 0 or 1 losses. Almost no thought seems to go into their voting.
The issue with the AP voting is that 95% (or maybe more) don't have the time to look/care at other schools outside of their area. They won't look into why a team lost and who they played, just that they lost.

Every year you see it when some of the voters rush through the submission process and end up picking a winless team to receive votes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT