ADVERTISEMENT

Gazette Rankings

rc1963

Freshman
Aug 17, 2018
Well, since the Register seems to want to hold their rankings "for members only..." here's what the folks at the CR Gazette have shared with the world today:

Their 1A Top 10 is:

1 West Sioux (64 pts., 5 #1 votes)
2 Dike New-Hartford (58)
3 Van Meter (51)
4 West Branch (49 pts., 1 #1 vote)
5 West Lyon (37 pts., 1 #1 vote)
6 SCC (35 pts)
7 Pella Christian (20 pts)
8 Treynor (18)
9 I-35 (16)
10 Bellevue (10)
10 Osage (10)

Others receiving votes: Regina (4), Wilton (4), Mt Ayr (3), Cascade (2), Mepo (2), Ogden (1), and Sumner- Fredericksburg (1)

Bellevue being ranked is based upon last year's success. They graduated nearly every main contributor and 4 OL that started for three seasons. That's the hard one to replace

no surprise to see West Sioux at the top. they are quickly becoming the best recruiting school in the state. multiple kids last year and again multiple kids moving in this year. watch out Solon and Regina you guys might be sliding down to 2 and 3 in recruiting rankings.

SCC is a team that I think can really push for the dome this year. they have a very good hard nosed squad but it will come down to can they beat West Sioux.

Sounds alot like long on the smack talk and short on the facts. Last year (1) senior moved in and played tackle. This year (1) senior moved in due to his mother becoming the new high school principal. West Sioux's present and past football teams are 98% home grown.

Sounds alot like long on the smack talk and short on the facts. Last year (1) senior moved in and played tackle. This year (1) senior moved in due to his mother becoming the new high school principal. West Sioux's present and past football teams are 98% home grown.

They are also wrong on one of the other schools as well. A 5-4 team accused of recruiting? There are other teams in the area getting far more ‘move ins’ each year.

Oh please, CID.

Enlighten us (me) on:

a) Which school in the 'area' you are referring to

and

b) if it is the school I think you are referring to, please name one kid who moved into that district THIS year who is on the football team. Besides a foreign exchange student.

WB has zero kids who moved into the district for this school year who are on the football squad. 100% zero.

So at least they can now be excluded from the conversation.

Oh please, CID.

Enlighten us (me) on:

a) Which school in the 'area' you are referring to

and

b) if it is the school I think you are referring to, please name one kid who moved into that district THIS year who is on the football team. Besides a foreign exchange student.

WB has zero kids who moved into the district for this school year who are on the football squad. 100% zero.

So at least they can now be excluded from the conversation.

Right, the two City High kids came last spring. So, they would be eligible to play this fall.

Here we go again. Can we have one thread without talk about "recruiting" and "move-ins"?

Please address lbdomination12 on this one. Basic 101 would indicate that you should address the poster who introduced the topic and was very specific (and incorrect) in their post. Perhaps I should post that gdkid2010 pays kids to attend the school he supports. I am sure you would just let that go. I have yet to introduce this subject into a thread. I respond when others post inaccurate information about the school I support.
As far as the school in the area it could be several around the Iowa City area, follower seems to think it is wb, they do have a history of kids moving into or open enrolling, so does Solon, ICW, CCA, etc. It is happening but I have been told I shouldn’t respond when people say inaccurate things that indicate improprieties about the school I support.

The top of 1A looks about as good as I can remember this year. Should be some fun games to watch this fall!

The top of 1A looks about as good as I can remember this year. Should be some fun games to watch this fall!

How will West Lyon stack up against West Sioux? Wildcats have a lot of experience coming back. What can they do to try and limit Dekkers?

Anyone have any knowledge of Pella Christian? They are always a team who are competing in the playoffs.

I think West Lyon could beat West Sioux this year

Interesting...When I first saw this, my question was "based on what?"

I looked into the stats, both teams return considerable offensive power, although WS production last year was obviously greater.

But if you look at defense, WS lost 9 seniors with any defensive production and 65% of their total tackles. WL lost 6, but only 25% of their production. Stats don't show star power, but a large part of this matchup could come down to how fast WS can reload on defense. Presumably there are guys who've been itching to get into battle and are ready to suit up, and this matchup doesn't happen until 10/11, so it will be one to watch for sure.

How will West Lyon stack up against West Sioux? Wildcats have a lot of experience coming back. What can they do to try and limit Dekkers?

Dekkers is a great player but they have a lot of great players. Pick your poison. Adding the new transfer just helps make them even more dynamic. They did lose some very good players from last year so it will be interesting how they will fill some of those spots.

West Lyon returns a bulk of their starters and should a very solid team. To stack up to West Sioux they will need to control the line of scrimmage and sustain long drives that end in points. We will know more about both teams in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Dekkers is a great play but they have a lot of great players. Pick your poison. Adding the new transfer Judy’s helps make them even more dynamic. They did lose some very good players from last year so it will be interesting how they will fill some of those spots.

West Lyon returns a bulk of their starters and should a very solid team. To stack up to West Sioux they will need to control the line of scrimmage and sustain long drives that end in points. We will know more about both teams in a few weeks.
Probably know more about West Sioux after this week also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT