ADVERTISEMENT

Future of Playoffs

Jan 30, 2018
Word is the state now is looking at going back to 24 or even 32 qualifiers for the playoffs again. I like the current system better than the old. Either make it hard to make the playoffs or let everyone play in the postseason. And can we please stop just handing out trophies and banners to football. The dome is state, not the 30% of the teams in the state that make playoffs.

How about just making it an 7 week season and putting all teams in the playoffs?

Then everyone can have a playoff participation trophy and school banner.

QUOTE="DMhoopfan, post: 175424, member: 25465"]Word is the state now is looking at going back to 24 or even 32 qualifiers for the playoffs again. I like the current system better than the old. Either make it hard to make the playoffs or let everyone play in the postseason. And can we please stop just handing out trophies and banners to football. The dome is state, not the 30% of the teams in the state that make playoffs.[/QUOTE]

How about just making it an 7 week season and putting all teams in the playoffs?

Then everyone can have a playoff participation trophy and school banner.

QUOTE="DMhoopfan, post: 175424, member: 25465"]Word is the state now is looking at going back to 24 or even 32 qualifiers for the playoffs again. I like the current system better than the old. Either make it hard to make the playoffs or let everyone play in the postseason. And can we please stop just handing out trophies and banners to football. The dome is state, not the 30% of the teams in the state that make playoffs.
[/QUOTE]
How about putting in some time and effort to make sure we have a playoff system that guarantees every playoff caliber team is in? An 8-1 team being left out is an absolute disgrace. I would rather see more teams and maybe some that "aren't playoff teams" in than have 1 completely deserving team left out.

I am not really sure why people are bashing on the expansion of the play-offs with arguments like "teams just want a banner to hang up." Don't give out a banner until it's the top 16 teams left, or whatever you want to do. The sad thing is there are teams being passed up for play-off spots that are better than teams that get in. Why not expand the play-offs?

Reactions: Hwkfn1
I am not really sure why people are bashing on the expansion of the play-offs with arguments like "teams just want a banner to hang up." Don't give out a banner until it's the top 16 teams left, or whatever you want to do. The sad thing is there are teams being passed up for play-off spots that are better than teams that get in. Why not expand the play-offs?
The teams that make the playoffs or the traditional powers don't want it, because they don't want the schools that don't make it very often any chance on building on success

It is a proposal by the IFCA I believe. The state is going to listen to the proposal at their next meeting. It will likely not be passed, but I would like to see the field expanded. The proposal would look something like the NE state playoff system with the Championship games the week of Thanksgiving.

8 years of 32-team playoff data is enough to make an informed decision when it comes to the 3rd and 4th teams from a district.

8 years of 32-team playoff data is enough to make an informed decision when it comes to the 3rd and 4th teams from a district.
How about data from the last 2 years that show 8-1, 7-2 and 6-3 teams missing the playoffs? How about a team that goes 2-3 against in class competition but makes the playoffs because they got wins against 4 teams from classes below them during the ND portion of the season.

I would MUCH rather see a 4th place team from a district make the playoffs than a team that is deserving miss the playoffs. The trade off isn't even close.

"Deserving" is subjective.
How do we know if a team is deserving if they don't get the chance to compete in the playoffs? It is almost impossible to judge teams subjectively because strength of schedules are so inconsistent across the board. There are 5-4 teams that would beat 8-1 teams 8 out of 10 times, but we don't give the 5-4 team an opportunity because they rarely get into the playoffs.

I just don't understand why people are so against expanding the playoffs. Do you really have a "dog in the fight" or are you upset that it was 16 teams when you played? I truly am trying to understand.

From a former player perspective, the 32 team playoff was my personal favorite. You do run into an issue of teams with more losses entering the postseason, but it creates a better environment for the players. I don't think that there is a perfect system because we seem to have either powerhouse teams or less competitive teams in 2A.

From a former player perspective, the 32 team playoff was my personal favorite. You do run into an issue of teams with more losses entering the postseason, but it creates a better environment for the players. I don't think that there is a perfect system because we seem to have either powerhouse teams or less competitive teams in 2A.
This is what it should be about...the players! Playoff games provide an unique experience that regular season games don't. One and done and win or go home playoff situations give kids a chance to learn something about themselves. That is what HS sports should be about. With the 16 team format about 70% of football players never get the opportunity to experience a one and done, win or go home situation

This is what it should be about...the players! Playoff games provide an unique experience that regular season games don't. One and done and win or go home playoff situations give kids a chance to learn something about themselves. That is what HS sports should be about. With the 16 team format about 70% of football players never get the opportunity to experience a one and done, win or go home situation

I understand the state's decision to move to 16 teams. Main concern is player safety. Same reason they implemented a pitch count rule versus the previous inning limit. The way 2A has been shaking out since the new playoff format was implemented doesn't really fit the system. Player safety is important, but kids want to play. They want to be able experience postseason ball even if just for one game. If they want to only hand out awards and banners for the quarterfinal teams, fine. Just give more teams a chance to get to that point.

Reactions: Hwkfn1 and dtk913
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT