ADVERTISEMENT

Friday, October 11 Scores and Comments

CR Xavier leads Western Dubuque 7- 6 in the 1st Q.
Western Dubuque takes the lead 13-7 in the 2nd Q, with 3:19 left in the half. Bobcats down to Xavier 35 with 2 minutes left in half. WD moving. Now 1st and goal for WD. Western Dubuque passes up a 4th down field goal from the 8, and Calvin Harris passes for a TD to receiver Burds. Very Gutsy call!

At the half Western Dubuque leads Cedar Rapids Xavier 20- 7. In the first half Xavier held to 48 yards total offense and three first downs.

Late in 3rd- Still 20-7, but Xavier threatening to score. Ball on WD 10. 4th and goal from the 1. Dupont scores for Xavier on a QB sneak. Now score is 20- 14, WD.

Grueling defensive struggle. CR Xavier with ball in WD territory after long pass. Xavier in position to win the game. Under two minutes. 3rd and 10 on the WD 27. Xavier gets the 1st down on a penalty. On Bobcat 22 with a minute to go. WD gets the ball after Xavier stalls. 28 seconds to go and Xavier has no time outs.

Bobcats beat Xavier! 20- 14 in a great game to go 7-0..

Last edited:
harlan 14 lewis central 6 -2nd

harlan has freshman starting defensive backfield, playing good
harlans defense stuffing lewis central

harlan 14 lewis central 6- half
harlan 14 lewis central 6- 4th

harlan 14 lewis central 6-final
wow, shock of the year...they are probably still in playoff hunt

Last edited:
Storm Lake 24, Denison-Schleswig 0
Dubuque Wahlert 30, Marion 0. After playing Xavier and Western Dubuque the past two weeks, Wahlert rolls.
Glenwood 54, ADM 18.

Last edited:
Interesting..... WHO was reporting LC 33 - Harlan 7. Checked the Association website and it agreed with Ron. Went back to WHO and it now is reading Harlan 14-6.

I hate that we are using RPI to determine post season wildcards and the new reduced number of teams in the playoffs. Why? Moore missed both the #1 and #2 teams getting beat tonight. Also it is the 2nd time in 3 weeks he had Harlan tagged for a loss and they won.

Games (and matchups) need to be decided on a field......not by a computer.

Interesting..... WHO was reporting LC 33 - Harlan 7. Checked the Association website and it agreed with Ron. Went back to WHO and it now is reading Harlan 14-6.

I hate that we are using RPI to determine post season wildcards and the new reduced number of teams in the playoffs. Why? Moore missed both the #1 and #2 teams getting beat tonight. Also it is the 2nd time in 3 weeks he had Harlan tagged for a loss and they won.

Games (and matchups) need to be decided on a field......not by a computer.

Well ... they are decided on the field. BC Moore’s numbers aren’t the revealed truth of how things will happen, just a projection of what should happen based on the factors he puts in his formula. And RPI is based purely on wins and losses - computer numbers and projections have absolutely zero to do with RPI and playoff seeing.

Nobody looks at those numbers and says, “Guess we won’t play the game tonight, the computer says we’ll lose by 20.” Humans do things computers and formulas can’t predict, not to mention weather, injuries, etc etc ...

They’re projections, Guesses. It’s supposed to be for fun.

i saw pic of the lemars team after they beat heelan, they were a happy bunch.....not every year lemars beats heelan

Heelan drops a heartbreaker. Will finish strong and prepare for a deep run to the Dome next fall. The rest of these 3A teams in Northwest Iowa better enjoy this year as Heelan will return to dominance next fall.
Whole season must be a heartbreak. What happend to that once good program? That district isn't exactly world beaters and they are 0-4 barely averaging a td a game.

Reactions: falconfanx3
Heelan drops a heartbreaker. Will finish strong and prepare for a deep run to the Dome next fall. The rest of these 3A teams in Northwest Iowa better enjoy this year as Heelan will return to dominance next fall.
Ya right SB-L will continue to dominate the district. Heelan is losing almost every starter from this years team which actually might help and has low numbers at every level. Warriors can wrap up another district title with win this week at Denison.

You're delusional. Lot of work to be done, until they get their youth, JH and Freshman numbers up they will be finishing well below expectations. A loss to Lemars like that is bound to call for a shake up somewhere. No one is laying down and dying when the blue and gold shows up anymore.

Reactions: bigbock91
Whole season must be a heartbreak. What happend to that once good program? That district isn't exactly world beaters and they are 0-4 barely averaging a td a game.

Major offensive changes coming in the offseason. Defense is the real deal. Get your licks in now because next year Heelan will be back to pounding on little brother.

Ya right SB-L will continue to dominate the district. Heelan is losing almost every starter from this years team which actually might help and has low numbers at every level. Warriors can wrap up another district title with win this week at Denison.

You clearly do not have clue. SBL is over after this year. Then back to the basement. Heelan younger grades are loaded with talent and will be in playoffs for the foreseeable future.

You're delusional. Lot of work to be done, until they get their youth, JH and Freshman numbers up they will be finishing well below expectations. A loss to Lemars like that is bound to call for a shake up somewhere. No one is laying down and dying when the blue and gold shows up anymore.

Numbers are meaningless when you have talent. The younger grades are loaded with talent and the 7th and 8th grade is the real deal. Big with size and speed coupled with a new offense and the future looks bright. Take all of the pictures you want next to the scoreboard LeMars in your new stadium. It will be the last pictures the Bulldogs take other than the humiliation they will feel for the next 10 years when we beat them down and take their women. The world will be back to the way it should be.

Numbers are meaningless when you have talent. The younger grades are loaded with talent and the 7th and 8th grade is the real deal. Big with size and speed coupled with a new offense and the future looks bright. Take all of the pictures you want next to the scoreboard LeMars in your new stadium. It will be the last pictures the Bulldogs take other than the humiliation they will feel for the next 10 years when we beat them down and take their women. The world will be back to the way it should be.

You live in an interesting reality.

Heelan will more than likely finish the year with 1 win.... Next year's gonna be a whole lot different, how? Freshmen don't normally come in and make a dynamic change, especially for a 3A program. Or are you hiding another Wegher?

Heelan will more than likely finish the year with 1 win.... Next year's gonna be a whole lot different, how? Freshmen don't normally come in and make a dynamic change, especially for a 3A program. Or are you hiding another Wegher?
SB-L will continue to dominate the district. Heelan's 1-8 season will seem good compared to what is coming up. They had 12 kids out for frosh football. Heard the 3rd graders are loaded though.

Reactions: bigbock91

Heelan will finish the season with 2 wins with a split of Storm Lake and Spencer. In terms of next year, not only will the QB have a year of experience but his running mates are all hungry to return the program to its rich history. You can laugh but pretty sure all Heelan fans have laughed at 3A football for the part of the last decade with state championships, runner ups, and a history of playoff appearances. This year things have not gone as planned but big changes coming.

SB-L will continue to dominate the district. Heelan's 1-8 season will seem good compared to what is coming up. They had 12 kids out for frosh football. Heard the 3rd graders are loaded though.

Your run is over. Without your 6’8 QB throwing illegal pick plays every down the team will be winless. 2 of SBL best players are transferring out after this year and the coach is rumored to be taking a new job. Can’t blame any of them for leaving for what lies ahead. Years of 1 win seasons and losing are your future.

sounds like in the future, lemars will be making ice cream, instead of powerhouse football teams

This guy gets it. So tired of LeMars and the Wells Blue Bunny factory thinking that by building a new stadium that somehow that makes you a winner. Stick to what you know LeMars and that is eating ice cream and still being pissed that we snatched your baseball State banner from your hands after you tried to cheat your way to Des Moines.

Heelan is an awful 1-6 and not like they are losing to good teams. 1A teams, LeMars, Denison, etc etc It’s unwatchable nothing but sacks, picks, penalties and poor plays and it’s going to be even worse next year. Your post name is the only thing you have right.

Reactions: NWIAorBUST
Your run is over. Without your 6’8 QB throwing illegal pick plays every down the team will be winless. 2 of SBL best players are transferring out after this year and the coach is rumored to be taking a new job. Can’t blame any of them for leaving for what lies ahead. Years of 1 win seasons and losing are your future.
Illegal picks right Rumor is your coaching staff already quit which is probably good news for everyone but the other district teams. Smith isn't going anywhere and neither are any players.

Heelan has 1 title this decade (6 years ago) and 1 more in the last. You're talking about them like they're a Dowling or a Harlan and they are not. Have they had outstanding years? Absolutely.

This guy gets it. So tired of LeMars and the Wells Blue Bunny factory thinking that by building a new stadium that somehow that makes you a winner. Stick to what you know LeMars and that is eating ice cream and still being pissed that we snatched your baseball State banner from your hands after you tried to cheat your way to Des Moines.

This guy is clearly an idiotic troll, but as an LeMars Community alumn....... I laughed very hard at this. That goddamn baseball game will live on forever. o_O:p

Reactions: JansenMustGo
cal preps has it.........

storm lake 21 heelan 13
spencer 24 heelan 7

so thats 1-8, never thought i would see that from a heelan team

Heelan has 1 title this decade (6 years ago) and 1 more in the last. You're talking about them like they're a Dowling or a Harlan and they are not. Have they had outstanding years? Absolutely.

Dowling you are correct. Harlan? Since 2008 if you do not include this season Heelan is 110-21 in those eleven seasons with 2 State Titles and 2 Runner up finishes. During the same 11 seasons since 2008 Harlan is 94-30 with one State Title and 2 losing seasons in 2014 and 2016. Even if you factor in this season for 2019 Heelan will have its first losing season in this time and is currently 1-6 and Harlan is 5-2 and Heelan has a better overall record and more State Titles. So not sure what you mean when you say Heelan is not at the level of Harlan. This would require you to look back beyond the last 7 weeks.

Heelan is an awful 1-6 and not like they are losing to good teams. 1A teams, LeMars, Denison, etc etc It’s unwatchable nothing but sacks, picks, penalties and poor plays and it’s going to be even worse next year. Your post name is the only thing you have right.

You are right poor play and coaching this season. Even the Patriots have had a bad season. You won’t hold down PRIDE

cal preps has it.........

storm lake 21 heelan 13
spencer 24 heelan 7

so thats 1-8, never thought i would see that from a heelan team

Looks like Cal was wrong. The winning streak has started. Disappointing year but the last two games will be momentum heading into next fall. Looks like the offensive changes have started to take shape.

But which school is trending - and what way? I have no dog in the fight, but Harlan seems to be getting their sea legs. I have no idea what is happening at Heelan. I don't remember Harlan ever winning just one 1 game in a season. Maybe it is like the guy that needs to hit rock bottom to start heading north. I hope so, Heelan is important to Western Iowa and has produced some outstanding athletes. High tide lifts all boats.

But which school is trending - and what way? I have no dog in the fight, but Harlan seems to be getting their sea legs. I have no idea what is happening at Heelan. I don't remember Harlan ever winning just one 1 game in a season. Maybe it is like the guy that needs to hit rock bottom to start heading north. I hope so, Heelan is important to Western Iowa and has produced some outstanding athletes. High tide lifts all boats.

Cute compare one losing season in 30 years to hitting rock bottom like an alcoholic. We have 2 wins and will finish 3-6 the same record that Harlan finished with in 2014.

Very Un-Heelan like. Hope things get better. Hope your disposition does too! It's only H.S. football. I don't live in Harlan, don't root for Harlan - does Heelan have more state championships than Harlan and coach Bladt?? I thought he has kind of ruled Western Iowa football. If so congrats. If not -stand in line with the rest of the state.

1 losing season in 30 years, reminds me of a camp shirt I saw a while back, as I recall the camp shirt said something like: "Got Rings?" I can't remember just now, but doesn't Harlan have 11 or 12? I think Bladt has 11 and the team has one other. There was a story by the DM Register last year - 2018? =
Harlan's Curt Bladt, who owns the mark for a record 11 state championship teams under the playoff system, is among the best. He's won 412 games, while losing 61. Bladt has a winning percentage of .872 in 41 seasons. That was last year. Oh well - - - anyhow.

coach bladt has 11 championships i believe, and has be in the finals a total of 18 times...the other championship was when harlan played cedar rapid regis, under terry eagen in 1972. that was the first year of the playoffs. i actually listened to that game on the radio....shows ya how old i am....

harlan has absent the last 9 years in the finals, but i believe heelan kept them out of the finals a couple times during then...not for heelan, harlan would have been there most likely...heelan had some good teams then

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT