ADVERTISEMENT

First half foul out!

VanderHoops

Freshman
Feb 16, 2011
Watching 1A first round & Burlington-ND just had a girl foul out in the first half!

Coach, you're a bone-head for that one!

I saw that too. It looked like 4 assistant coaches sitting there. One of them has to be monitoring that. right?

Considering they won by 16, I thinking their coaches had a pretty good idea of what they were doing. Apparently, that's why they are coaching in the state tournament and you guys aren't.

That score didnt get to 16 until late in the game. ND made a great run in the 4th. CL had the lead in the late 3rd and i think it was tie early 4th. Then ND just took over. Fun game to watch.

Maybe that is there philophy. We dont worry about fouls, if you foul out - next girl in.

You are right, i am just a common fan watching a high school girls state tournament game while sitting at my desk at work because i didnt really feel like working.

It pretty easy to say next girl in when all the top players in Burlington go to a 1a school.
Pretty sure there is a Keokuk girl there too.
This work out pretty good for Dav. Assumption for a few years too.
If you want proof just look at the records of the other Burlington schools or the records of the other Davenport Schools when Assumption was wining 25-30 games a year in smaller classes of BB.
With that been said ND does have a nice BB team and I'm not saying anybody is cheating or recruiting with in the school systems.
It just makes it tough on the real 1a schools to compete with this.

To be honest if Notre Dame plays the way they did against Central Lyon, then I like Newell-Fonda's chances in the semifinal.

Central Lyon's 3 qtr-court trap defense is easy to break down if you have the guards to do it, but Notre Dame's style tended to play into Central Lyon's favor at times, and helped to keep them in the game. CL also shot much better than their substate game, which also kept Nike fans biting their fingers a bit.

Btw, I think the girl who fouled out is there to provide depth and defense. No shots and averages just over 2 pts a game any way. I think it was a calculated risk and they probably utilize such players off the bench to provide more aggressive defense without worrying too much about fouling out.

Sorry Lyon County, having been a coach, it gets frustrating when people who watch 1, maybe 2, games that last for an hour and a half maybe critique, criticize and second guess coaches decisions. The decisions aren't the same when you spend two - three hours a day, 5/6 days a week with those athletes. It makes a lot of those coaching decisions tougher to make when you know those athletes on a completely different level. So many things that can dictate decisions during a game may have been determine in practices and meetings before game time that only the coaches and players realize. Since I've given up coaching, it's tough to sit in the stands amongst fans and listen to them debate every decision made out there. I appreciate you mentioning you were a common fan just watching, so I probably didn't need to explain this to you, but hopefully there are some others out there that can learn not to be so critical in situations. Most coaches I know are doing their best to win games, not trying to lose them as I so often here from the stands. Okay, rant over.

I've coached at different levels, but I cannot think of a scenario where I'd keep a senior in the ballgame with 4 fouls in the 1st half with a tie score. Can you?

Coaches/refs aren't infallible & shouldn't be untouchable in second-guessing their decisions. Yelling directly from the stands or belittling players/calls isn't OK, but lots of fans are knowledgeable & like to play analyst during the game. Telling your buddy next to you, "I think I'd go zone here," doesn't fall in the category of negativity IMO.

This forum is set up for commentary/arm-chair quarterbacking. Defend your stance that keeping her in was good move.

In this particular case, I'd lay blame on the asst coach. "She's got 4 fouls, we better get her out of there," is all it would have took. It wan't a game changer, but trying to defend a brain-fart as a valid coaching decision seems silly.
This post was edited on 3/3 12:50 PM by VanderHoops

No need to be sorry to me Oguardrun. I do agree with a lot of what you are saying after that. I really struggle in crowds and usually sit way at the end of the bleachers to avoid certain people.

Coach admitted in the local paper he and the staff had no idea she had 4 fouls. It was a mistake and the coach said he apologized to the player. Saying he was sure glad they won that game as he would have hated to see her last game end like that.

Wow- That was a crazy moment. Crazy things can happen, but the stage doesn't get bigger than the state tournament.

Most of the kids on the Notre Dame Nikes have been together since pre school. And your right one girl from Keokuk and one from Donnelson. Of which niether two towns have a Catholic high school. So they came here. And as to the public school in town that is a whole other can of worms.

Wow
I wasn't there to see this happen but that is a mistake. I imagine there is a lot of pressure coaching in a game like that. Nobody knows how the duties are split up among the staff but they missed that one, there is a lot of information for 1 maybe 2 assistant coaches to process. Probably got caught up in the moment and just watching the game from good seats. Mistakes happen just ask Seattle fans.

I agree and definitely get that mistakes happen. I don't think this one though was due to lack of assistant coaches. Looked like the B-ND bench was pretty full. 4 maybe 5 coaches it looked like on the stream.

Originally posted by rogerfrank:
Most of the kids on the Notre Dame Nikes have been together since pre school. And your right one girl from Keokuk and one from Donnelson. Of which niether two towns have a Catholic high school. So they came here. And as to the public school in town that is a whole other can of worms.
By most, are you implying that none of the players started their careers in the BHS system? Myers, was never in the BHS system??? Her dad coached for BHS...

Holy Trinity is closer to both of those towns than BND. In fact it is 20 more miles to Burlington from Donnelson than it is to Ft. Madison, and HIckey has to basically travel through Ft. Madison to get to Burlington. Shoot Quincy Notre Dame is closer to Keokuk than Burlington is. But my guess is that she wouldn't have been able to make the QND starting line-up.

I don't see the catholic high school angle working for these two girls, or this school. It was and is about basketball and to paint it any other way is just plain delusional.

I wonder how good BND will be next year? Kilbride and Myers are top notch talent. How good was their JV team this year? Mesecher, Hickey, and Coffin will be tough shoes to fill. Also curious to which coaches will come back next year.

Coach Myers hasn't been at Burlington HS for at least 7-8 years. His older daughter played at BND for three years. The current daughter has been at BND for 5 years and is currently a Sophomore. No story here, move along.

The Hickey girl traveled every week to Des Moines to play AAU ball. The trip to BND would have been a breeze and Holy Trinity's best girls sport is volleyball not basketball. If you have a choice, use it.
This post was edited on 3/26 9:36 PM by ORSKY1

This years BND team, only 3 of their top 9 are long time Notre Dame enrollees(Koelker, Kilbride ad Schwartz). Several have transferred from Burlington before the end of 8th grade year. One from Keokuk, one from Holy Trinity and one from West Central in Illinois. Proir teams had Yacko and Myers transfer over there after sophomore seasons at BHS as did Gilbert. Hard for 1A teams to compete against that level of talent. Its basically an All-star team. Heard they are working on a couple of girls for next year. Hardly coincidence. Wake-up Orsky!!!!!

Heard a starting guard from Mediapolis is transferring there. I guess the rumor is that her parents and her didn't like the awards she got at the end of the season.

Opie probably says more about Burlington than anything else. Still no story. Move along

Just a bunch of haters aren't you. Just cuz BHS teams truly suck and have for years quit crying. And as to the Gilbert girl she really wasn't that much of advantage to the team was she.

Rogerfrank I was just responding to your statement that the BND teams of the last 3 years have been all ND kids since preschool. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Just stating the facts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT