ADVERTISEMENT

Fearsome Eagle Beast results????

Iron Doc

All Conference
Nov 5, 2005
Due to health problems (and old age) I wasn't able to make it to the St. Ed's Duals today. How did The Fearsome Britt/Kanawha/Stilson/Hutchins/West Duncan Eagle Beasts do?

Clarion won all 5, SE won the other 4, not sure on how you guys did. I had to drink the Dew by myself, your upper weights are tough!!!! Clarion is looking very good this year.

Thanks. I would have liked to have been there. I know the Clarks won, but can't find other Beast results.

They just won went to the state title game in football with many of the same kids. I will respectfully refer to them as FEARSOME beast along with Doc!!

IMO, the number issue isnt specific to Britt/West Hancock. I have noticed some duals from smaller 1A schools; almost all schools have several open weights. I am almost wondering if duals even take 30 minutes anymore?

Doc, has there ever been any talk of Britt/West Hancock joining with a similar school for wrestling only? Dare I say Garner? I know they have done this for cross-country. Was wondering if it was an option

That is a reasonable question. However, Hades itself would freeze over before The Beasts shared wrestling with Garner. (No offense, Coach V.)

I wouldnt think it would either.

But when I look at some results and I see small 1A teams around that area having a max of 7 kids, and most matches ending in falls, it makes me wonder how long it will be until an AD says it isnt worth it to schedule dual meets for 10-15 minutes worth of actual wrestling?

Your concern is valid. I think we will see a demise of dual meets for the smaller schools in favor of tournaments every weekend. I also have recommended elsewhere that more than 1 person per weight from any given school be allowed to fill openings in large brackets (32 or so) at Sectionals so as to provide motivation to people to stay out for wrestling. This concept is loosely based on the NAIA model that permits up to 2 wrestlers at a given weight from a given school to qualify for the NAIA national tournament.

I thought I heard once, a long time ago, that D1 schools could enter 10 wrestlers at regionals. They had the option at 1 weight of entering 2 wrestlers and not having a wrestler at a different weight. Is that true or something my mind made up? Thanks.

I have never heard of that system, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. Something is needed to expand Varsity competition opportunities as many wrestler quit between JH and their Sr year because they figure out they have no chance at making Varsity. There is something to be said for staying out anyway (perseverance builds character), but I can understand that reason for quiting. It boils down to the fact that wrestling lacks the substitution options (special teams, etc) that football and wrestling have.

Originally posted by se xc1:
I thought I heard once, a long time ago, that D1 schools could enter 10 wrestlers at regionals. They had the option at 1 weight of entering 2 wrestlers and not having a wrestler at a different weight. Is that true or something my mind made up? Thanks.
I dont recall this ever at the D1 level, but I am only 29 so it easily could have happened before "my time."

NAIA lets schools enter more than one wrestler at a weight for there national qualifier. They are limited to ten entrants but can have more than one wrestler in a weight class. Also, There are some states that allow more than one person per weight. I think Utah or Idaho does this.

Originally posted by IAMONSTER:
NAIA lets schools enter more than one wrestler at a weight for there national qualifier. They are limited to ten entrants but can have more than one wrestler in a weight class. Also, There are some states that allow more than one person per weight. I think Utah or Idaho does this.

- - - To me, this has always been a core problem with wrestling. You can bust your tail and still not make Varsity in good programs. Kids aren't dumb - they know this and a LOT gravitate to the sports that have opportunities to play Varsity ball. To MANY kids being on the football punt coverage team (only) is way better than stuck on JV. To a lot of kids being the 3rd string basketball center (like me back in the day) beats being a B squad or C squad wrestler. Living in the weight room to prepare for football season is, in the minds of a GREAT MANY kids, infinitely superior to being a non-Varsity wrestler. The sport of wrestling NEEDS options like you just pointed out to keep kids in the sport once they are done with Youth/JH wrestling. Junior wrestled from age 8 to age 23; his career confirmed what I always thought, wrestling is the greatest sport! I hate seeing it die out.
This post was edited on 1/13 6:47 PM by Iron Doc

I was at a tourney yesterday that had a "blue" team which were back up wrestlers given the opportunity to wrestle. Last year a "blue" team member made the finals even. A good opportunity if a team has two quality wrestlers at a weight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT