ADVERTISEMENT

FD-SE

DarkThunder#61

All State
Sep 28, 2005
#4 Dodgers (4A) beat the #4 Gaels (2A), 4-0 tonight.

Pretty good defensive battle in this one. Both pitchers had solid outings. SE had a few breakdowns and the Dodgers put together some well-timed hits to do all their damage in the 5th inning.

Neil Flattery pitched for the Gaels and had one of his better performances of the year against a red-hot FD squad, despite the tough 5th. 4 runs on 6 hits and I believe only 1 walk. FD got 4 of those hits in that 5th.

The lead-off lined a shot at Neil, whose momentum pulled him away from the ball and it deflected off his glove. He was unable to make a play on the ball in time and FD finally had a lead-off runner aboard. That was one of those fluke plays that could've gone either way and Fort Dodge got the break on that one and pretty much the rest of the inning.

The next batter put a bunt down the 3rd base line and reached safely on an error after the ball was bobbled on the pick-up. FD followed that up with another bunt down the line that Neil had to race to. The throw was high and the ump ruled that Setterdahl left the bag to get it momentarily as the runner crossed the bag. So the bases were then loaded with no outs and the next batter hit a 2-run double.

After a sac-fly to make it 3-0, Sam Edwards hit a shot to deep center and the outfielder might've misjudged where it was landing as it went just over his head, and Edwards earned an RBI double to make it 4-0.

SE was eventually able to get out of the jam, but the damage was done and the Gaels could never muster much offense against winning pitcher Luke VanderMaten. VanderMaten throws a very good slider and that's something that you just don't see often in the lower classes.

SE scattered 3 hits but most of the time were left with their last out to make something of the opportunities when they had any base runners at all. That's been their problem offensively this season, particularly against good pitchers, at least in the games I've seen. They get some offense going but it's with 2 outs and not much margin for error, and they also still tend to be a little too selective at times.

Fort Dodge has only lost twice in the month of June, both to WDM Valley in different doubleheaders. They lead the Tigers by a game in the CIML Iowa division.

I watched the St. Edmond/Fort Dodge game Friday night at Harlan Rogers(great setting with great lights, but the field is still in bad shape). St. Edmond is a well-coached, good 2A team, that looks to lack some depth. They have allot of young kids that are growing up.

Fort Dodge is a team that plays hard, but they remind me of a girl's softball team with all the little goofy antics and cheers that they do. With all due respect to Fort Dodge, if they are the fourth best team in 4A, then 4A baseball is pretty bad.

Well they're probably gonna be ranked 3rd here by the end of the season considering they currently have the 3rd best record in 4A and clinched a share of the league title. They don't always seem to possess the top notch athletes that some of the metro schools produce, but they have a system that their kids have bought into and it's led to 3 semifinal appearances in 5 years.

Does that really speak bad of 4A baseball?

spoon always has something a against fort dodge for whatever reason. last year he made the same remarks when FD and SE played

I agree coach Shanks is a good coach, but how do you explain, year after year, SE has so many baserunning errors. They get more guys picked off, fail to tag, or run into outs than any time I've seen for several years running. They don't steal many bases, so it's not even being aggressive. Just not knowing what to do or not paying attention.

Originally posted by homerun-11:

I agree coach Shanks is a good coach, but how do you explain, year after year, SE has so many baserunning errors. They get more guys picked off, fail to tag, or run into outs than any time I've seen for several years running. They don't steal many bases, so it's not even being aggressive. Just not knowing what to do or not paying attention.
Oh? So you've been paying attention to the baserunning in each SE game you go to and can remember way back into the past and can compare how the teams of today aren't as good as they were before Shanks as far as baserunning goes?.............

I will say that there is always the risk of a trade-off when using underclassmen as base runners. 8th graders and freshmen bring fresh legs and give your starters a chance to rest, and obviously they'll run for catchers so they can start getting their gear back on. However, they are also inexperienced and essentially "learning on the job". Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.

That's not to say that only underclassmen make mistakes running the bases though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT