ADVERTISEMENT

FB Classifications

I really hope that the state seriously considers small districts of 5 or 6 schools for class A, I know districts of 7 or 8, but geographically there are so many strange districts that come with bigger districts.

Depending on how state selections are made, isn't the purpose of having districts mostly to ease scheduling burden? Everyone has their District opponents, that's set, there's no scrambling, horse-trading etc to get games. So a district of 5 would only be 4 district games, leaving each school to try to schedule 5 games. That seems like a lot of chaos. Maybe not, I'm not an AD.

With the fact that each schools sends in 5-7 schools that they would like to play for non district (after they get their districts) and then the state makes the final schedule, so coaches and ADs don't have a ton of work to do other than contacting other schools asking if they want to be on each others list.

Reactions: rc1963
My 8-Man Projections
D1 Bishop Garrigan, GTRA, H-LP, North Iowa, Northwood-Kensett, St Mary's, N-F, WB-M, and K-P
D2 Rice, Rock, Turkey, Kee, Central (Elk), Tripoli, West Central, Clarksville, Janesville
D3 Glad-Rein, Dunk, Bosco, Ed-Co, Central City, Easton, Midland, Springville, GMG
D4 C-W, Iowa Valley, H-L-V, Eng V, WACO, Winfield-Mt Union, New London, LT, Tri-County
D5 Meskwaki, BGM, Montezuma, Twin Cedars, M-D, SE Warren, Mormon Trail, Mora, Seymour
D6 Colo-Nesco, C-M, Bax, Grand View, Mart St. Mary's, Murray, Lenox, Lamoni, East Union
D7 Audubon, EEHK, CAM, Gris, Stanton, Bed, East Mills, F-M
D8 Riv V, Sioux Ch, ArWeVa, Boy V, Glid-Rals, CR-B, FD St Ed, Wood, W Harrison
Interesting. My guess is nothing changes much on the western side of the state because it never does.

So for class A, I did a system with 6 districts with 6 team, and 4 districts with 5 teams (sister district for the extra game), top 2 from each district qualify with 12 at large teams. There is still some weird travel with this, but I think it makes things nicer than trying to make 7 or 8 team districts. I am almost positive that the state won't think outside of the box. I'll make some 7 and 8 team districts also.

District 1 (sister district is district 2)
AGWSR
BCLUW
Grundy Center
Hudson
North Tama

District 2
Alburnett
Bellevue
East Buc
Maquoketa Valley
North Linn

District 3 (sister district is 4)
Colfax Mingo
Lynnville Sully
North Mahaska
Pekin
Wayne

District 4
Earlham
Madrid
Mount Ayr
Ogden
Southwest Valley

District 5
Sidney
St. Albert
Riverside
AHSTW
Missouri Valley
Tri Center

District 6
LoMa
IKM-Manning
Westwood
Woodbury Central
Lawton Bronson
Hinton

District 7
Akron Westfield
Gehlen
MMCRU
Alta Aurelia
South O'Brien
HMS

District 8
North Union
West Hancock
Newman
St. Ansgar
Lake Mills
West Fork

District 9
North Butler
Nashua Plainfield
Wapsie
Starmont
South Winn
Clayton Ridge

District 10
Belle Plaine
Lisbon
North Cedar
Highland
Columbus
Wapello

I really hope that the state seriously considers small districts of 5 or 6 schools for class A, I know districts of 7 or 8, but geographically there are so many strange districts that come with bigger districts.

I don't think you are going to see 5 or 6 team districts when the plan is to take the top four teams out of each district plus it is hard enough to match up with other teams for just two games let alone trying to find 4 other teams to play non district. Basically when the state went to friday playoff format that basically said travel would not be an issue since no school the following day. Some teams are going to have to travel just based on where they are located with no teams around them.

With the fact that each schools sends in 5-7 schools that they would like to play for non district (after they get their districts) and then the state makes the final schedule, so coaches and ADs don't have a ton of work to do other than contacting other schools asking if they want to be on each others list.

The contacting and getting other teams to lock in each other is a pain in the rear because if you can get teams to committ then you are leaving it up to the state to pick 4 or 5 more teams for you to play. I hope they make it easy and simple math of 8 districts of 7 and then we only need to find two teams. Each district has a sister district for first rd of playoffs then other that it is all put into pods like last year.

Reactions: IGo42
The contacting and getting other teams to lock in each other is a pain in the rear because if you can get teams to committ then you are leaving it up to the state to pick 4 or 5 more teams for you to play. I hope they make it easy and simple math of 8 districts of 7 and then we only need to find two teams. Each district has a sister district for first rd of playoffs then other that it is all put into pods like last year.
I would assume some teams have a harder time convincing other schools to play them more so than others.

I would assume some teams have a harder time convincing other schools to play them more so than others.

Exactly, as Im sure some teams get tons of calls and others none. The first priority for me would be to try and lock in your rivalry or gate maker games but its tough to do that always .

Districts will be released tomorrow (Friday) at 10am. Next week schools will start submitting their priority lists and schedules are expected to be released mid-April.

Reactions: cjm3260
State broke their unwritten rule in 1A. :p Looking forward to some good games in this district (1A D5). Quick glance at returning players it appears the district will be competitive and wide open at this point, can probably pick out the top 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
Just for fun, this might be another way that 1A could look:
District 1:
West Sioux, Western Christian, Sibley-O, Emmetsburg, Sioux Central, Ridge View

District 2:
East Sac, SCC, Manson-NW, Eagle Grove, Belmond-Klemme, South Hamilton

District 3:
Central Springs, A-P, South Hardin, D-NH, Waterloo Columbus, East Marshall

District 4:
Denver, Sumner-F, Postville, MFL, Beckman, Cascade

District 5:
Regina, West Branch, Wilton, Durant, Mepo, L-M

District 6:
Van Buren, Cardinal, S-K, Pella Christian, Pleasantville, Central Decatur

District 7:
I-35, Nodaway Valley-OM, WCV, Van Meter, Panorama, W-G

District 8:
ACGC, Treynor, Underwood, Kuemper, MVAOCOU, West Monona

That was pretty good, only 5 schools at of the 48 that landed somewhere different!!

I’m sure you’ll understand soon enough now that districts are out. 1A boards will be dominated by one topic unfortunately. Understandable with the rivalry, but it gets old.
Yeah, ok, that's what I thought. You know my take on that whole thing is, "Let the kids play."

I’m sure you’ll understand soon enough now that districts are out. 1A boards will be dominated by one topic unfortunately. Understandable with the rivalry, but it gets old.

It does. How is the activity on the boards otherwise? My preference is to talk football with posters such as yourself. Keep people from taking uniformed or flat out wrong shots and I will behave. Very rarely am I the instigator.

Who are the players to watch in the district/class?

I think if we take a look ar the 1A districts, there are 2 teams that are well ahead of the others. The only exception is with Van Meter. It is Van Meter then the rest. Otherwise there will be some good fights for the district titles.

too many classifications in my book, make schools consolidate , even out the numbers,,,and less classes...i wish the boys at boone would do that

too many classifications in my book, make schools consolidate , even out the numbers,,,and less classes...i wish the boys at boone would do that

So you want to shut down small schools? Why are bigger schools more important than smaller schools?

So you want to shut down small schools? Why are bigger schools more important than smaller schools?
I'm not sure what it accomplishes in the long run. How does having a bunch of small schools have an impact on the bigger classes? The state demographics are what they are. It is a state with a lot of small towns. Even our larger cities are small by comparison to other states. You are going to lose participation in the long run.

Consolidate schools or sharing agreement for sports? Big difference, but like others said, you’d lose participation when it’s already declining.

Reactions: paxregis
I don't understand the thought process of forced consolidation or sharing. What is the benefit? And who benefits?

The new set up will make things much more competitive for the most part. I think 3A and 4A will be very interesting. The guys in Boone screw a lot of things up but they got this one right.

Reactions: cjm3260
A few years ago I looked at two 8 players sharing, about the same size of enrollment. But I could only identify thru other sports 3 or 4 kids that traveled the about 40 minutes school to school drive. I loved football, but getting home at 7:00 every week day night? I wouldn't have done it for any other sport. And I wouldn't have do it if I wasn't playing a lot.

Amended bill passed the Iowa House yesterday, heading to the Senate now.

"The Iowa House passed a portion of Gov. Kim Reynolds' sweeping education proposal Thursday afternoon to expand open enrollment for Iowa students and increase tax credits offered to Iowans.

Among other elements, the bill the House passed Thursday expands the definition of "good cause" for open enrollment to include if a student's school is designated as in "significant need for improvement." Currently, students have to show "good cause" to open enroll after the current March 1 deadline.

The bill also allows students to participate in varsity athletics 90 calendar days after they transfer, rather than waiting 90 school days. The sending and receiving schools could agree to waive the 90-day limit. Another exception applies if the sending school does not offer the varsity sports program the student wants to participate in."

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...-school-sports-transfer-wait-time/7001205002/

Don't know about the "do cause" clause. I do like the 90 day rule. Kids move/transfer for lots or things often not related to athletics. Bugs be when they can't compete. I know most people talk about Jimmy Smith and basketball in 1999, but honestly most these kids are in women's bowling that no one is recruiting. It bugs me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT