ADVERTISEMENT

FB Classifications

What about the private schools that are small in a large population area? how do you fix that issue. St Alberts in CB, they are A in football and have a HUGE area to cast a net too. and play against population basis that are far smaller than theirs. So say they lose a kid, well there are plenty more for them to choose from. Take for instance their basketball squad. have 15 suited up with only 2 sophmores on the roster. When they lose a solid senior class, like this years actually, they continue to be competitive to the point of pushing a state tournament appearance every year. teams they have to compete against to get to state do not have that luxury. They go through cycles. Private schools like Grandview, St Alberts etc, do not.

I would say that has more to do with the history of the program, there's a reason Prince of Peace struggles even in a community with population to offer. But your point has validity, much like some of the small districts surrounding bigger communities as well.

Private schools absolutely go through cycles too. But, they often have a solid youth program to help smooth out those ups and downs somewhat.
And, the point above about bigger schools poaching the best players from the smaller private schools near large population areas absolutely happens. And, it costs those teams state tournament appearances and maybe even titles. I can think of two examples off the top of my head right now.
Just to be clear - I never said "poaching/" I understand families making the best decisions for their families/student athletes. Just saying those decisions don't always benefit the privates.

I've also seen, first hand, a public school coach talk to a student athlete, after a game, in the game venue about coming to play for them. Those conversations happen, and you can say, oh, 'he's just kidding," but I think that's how those conversations get started. It takes a coach and/or a parent opening the door.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Private schools absolutely go through cycles too. But, they often have a solid youth program to help smooth out those ups and downs somewhat.
And, the point above about bigger schools poaching the best players from the smaller private schools near large population areas absolutely happens. And, it costs those teams state tournament appearances and maybe even titles. I can think of two examples off the top of my head right now.
So you are saying that Private schools do not have move ins when HS starts?

I would say that has more to do with the history of the program, there's a reason Prince of Peace struggles even in a community with population to offer. But your point has validity, much like some of the small districts surrounding bigger communities as well.
Prince of Peace was in the state tournament like 2-3 years ago.

Just to be clear - I never said "poaching/" I understand families making the best decisions for their families/student athletes. Just saying those decisions don't always benefit the privates.

I've also seen, first hand, a public school coach talk to a student athlete, after a game, in the game venue about coming to play for them. Those conversations happen, and you can say, oh, 'he's just kidding," but I think that's how those conversations get started. It takes a coach and/or a parent opening the door.
Yeah, it does happen. And it should happen more often from all schools IMO. I just find it odd that recruitment is not admitted by Private schools when it is obvious it happens.

All the arguments are about private and public. I am sorry but you see the same thing happening with school districts all over the state from small to big, private and public. You can see it all the way from North Linn in Class A basketball to Dowling in Class 4A football and all sports and sizes in between. It also happens in all the girls sports too. Once a tradition is established kids want to come there.
As far as socioeconomic conditions-how many pro athletes come from disadvantaged areas? Obviously there are great athletes are from poorer schools and some from well to do areas. Just play with the hand that is dealt.

Reactions: rc1963 and Pinehawk
All the arguments are about private and public. I am sorry but you see the same thing happening with school districts all over the state from small to big, private and public. You can see it all the way from North Linn in Class A basketball to Dowling in Class 4A football and all sports and sizes in between. It also happens in all the girls sports too. Once a tradition is established kids want to come there.
As far as socioeconomic conditions-how many pro athletes come from disadvantaged areas? Obviously there are great athletes are from poorer schools and some from well to do areas. Just play with the hand that is dealt.
it happens more in the metro areas than the rural areas. Especially with schools located near bigger 4A type towns. That is where things happen the most. It is not a level playing field as compared to rural areas with 3-4 thousand and 1A towns located near 25,000 metros. Then you throw in the Private schools inside 65,000 metro areas playing the smallest level of competition when they have a town of maybe 1,000....

It was until someone... Pinehawk.... brought up the other stuff. I am just filling him in on a few things.

It was most certainly not me. Refer to post #142 in the thread for when the focus changed.
And, you didn't fill me in on anything.

I don't think we should create a new game with new rules (i.e. 8 man football).
We don't let small schools play 3 v 3 basketball. 7 v 7 soccer. Whiffle ball instead of baseball.
Play the actual 11 v 11 game, or consolidate, or don't field a team.
Especially when we now see schools that could field an actual team, but are choosing not to because they think they are better with fewer kids seeing the field.
I took offense to this take. I agree with the last part. But the consolidate or play 11 man is dumb.

Reactions: Redraider906
No other sport changes the entire game if a school is unable to field a team.

It was until someone... Pinehawk.... brought up the other stuff. I am just filling him in on a few things.
It was most certainly not me. Refer to post #142 in the thread for when the focus changed.
And, you didn't fill me in on anything.
Yeah I’ll take the hit, I’ve got big shoulders.;)
Besides, it’s difficult to discuss districts when non exist...yet, hence

Reactions: Pinehawk
I don't think we should create a new game with new rules (i.e. 8 man football).
We don't let small schools play 3 v 3 basketball. 7 v 7 soccer. Whiffle ball instead of baseball.
Play the actual 11 v 11 game, or consolidate, or don't field a team.

Run that one by the folks in Texas who play 6-man.

Reactions: paxregis
Just for fun, this might be another way that 1A could look:
District 1:
West Sioux, Western Christian, Sibley-O, Emmetsburg, Sioux Central, Ridge View

District 2:
East Sac, SCC, Manson-NW, Eagle Grove, Belmond-Klemme, South Hamilton

District 3:
Central Springs, A-P, South Hardin, D-NH, Waterloo Columbus, East Marshall

District 4:
Denver, Sumner-F, Postville, MFL, Beckman, Cascade

District 5:
Regina, West Branch, Wilton, Durant, Mepo, L-M

District 6:
Van Buren, Cardinal, S-K, Pella Christian, Pleasantville, Central Decatur

District 7:
I-35, Nodaway Valley-OM, WCV, Van Meter, Panorama, W-G

District 8:
ACGC, Treynor, Underwood, Kuemper, MVAOCOU, West Monona
When I looked at 1A this is exactly how I guessed it too. It is pretty easy cutoff in the north to use I-35. The south it is a little harder, but I think that makes a good breaking point.

There are actually 8 teams with 120 or more playing 8 man this year. I think this is the last cycle that Newell Fonda can play up. I think there is a 4 year appeals rule you need to file. They have been over for at least 3 years in a row. This would be year 4. please correct me if I am wrong. I feel like Sidney had to move up last year due to this.

You would be wrong according to the state's past BEDS numbers. NF was at 102 only 2 years ago. This tells me they've got a really big sophomore class going through, as I wouldn't think that either Newell or Fonda would be growing that much.The 94 to 102 range would be about 35 kids per class. To get to 136, they would be at about 45 kids per class. I don't think they would grow that quickly.

Newell-Fonda BEDS numbers
18-19 - 94
19-20 - 102
20-21 - 133
21-22 - 136

Side note: when I looked this up, I couldn't find anything older than 2018-19. Admittedly, I didn't spend a bunch of time looking, but does anyone have older BEDS numbers? I wanted to see what Sidney's were and how long they were above before the state made them move up.

Sidney BEDS numbers
18-19 - 154
19-20 - 131
20-21 - 136
21-22 - 130

Are there any other teams that have been "forced" to move up? I can't really recall. Seems like once a school goes to 8-man, they're not around very long after that. Think Aurelia, North Sentral Kossuth, Armstrong-Ringstead, Adair-Casey, etc.

Yeah, it does happen. And it should happen more often from all schools IMO. I just find it odd that recruitment is not admitted by Private schools when it is obvious it happens.

I think it is admitted far more than you think. I have been very clear that private schools recruit. They have to or they will close. Now will you admit how widespread it is at public schools? I watched a class go from 64 to 48 when the tuition goes up. It happens.

I went back through a few years and most years Newell Fonda seems to add students when they get to high school so I wonder if there is a small Church school that switches to public school there?

Just for fun, this might be another way that 1A could look:
District 1:
West Sioux, Western Christian, Sibley-O, Emmetsburg, Sioux Central, Ridge View

District 2:
East Sac, SCC, Manson-NW, Eagle Grove, Belmond-Klemme, South Hamilton

District 3:
Central Springs, A-P, South Hardin, D-NH, Waterloo Columbus, East Marshall

District 4:
Denver, Sumner-F, Postville, MFL, Beckman, Cascade

District 5:
Regina, West Branch, Wilton, Durant, Mepo, L-M

District 6:
Van Buren, Cardinal, S-K, Pella Christian, Pleasantville, Central Decatur

District 7:
I-35, Nodaway Valley-OM, WCV, Van Meter, Panorama, W-G

District 8:
ACGC, Treynor, Underwood, Kuemper, MVAOCOU, West Monona
That would definitely be different for us.

So you are saying that Private schools do not have move ins when HS starts?
No, I'm saying the door swings both ways, there are kids with D1 aspirations that jump to a 4/5A to be part of the competition level college coaches pay more attention to. In Iowa, that only currently gives an advantage to one private.

You're forgetting about 2-man putt-putt...;-)

No other sports necessitates fielding 35-40 min athletes to yield a competitive starting 11....

I really don't have a problem offering 8 man. Clearly there are quite a number of kids that get to play a version of football they wouldn't get to otherwise. If the state was sponsoring a program just to have 20 schools compete, I'd say maybe they just shouldn't have football, but with 68 schools, a full 20 percent of Iowa Schools, that's significant.

You don't see near the volume of schools unable to assemble a competitive 5 v 5 starting basketball roster.. So, it's a sport by sport thing. There are school that can't field enough runners to compete as a team, but at least those kids can still compete on an individual basis.

You would be wrong according to the state's past BEDS numbers. NF was at 102 only 2 years ago. This tells me they've got a really big sophomore class going through, as I wouldn't think that either Newell or Fonda would be growing that much.The 94 to 102 range would be about 35 kids per class. To get to 136, they would be at about 45 kids per class. I don't think they would grow that quickly.

18-19 - 94
19-20 - 102
20-21 - 133
21-22 - 136

Side note: when I looked this up, I couldn't find anything older than 2018-19. Admittedly, I didn't spend a bunch of time looking, but does anyone have older BEDS numbers? I wanted to see what Sidney's were and how long they were above before the state made them move up.

Sidney BEDS numbers
18-19 - 154
19-20 - 131
20-21 - 136
21-22 - 130

Are there any other teams that have been "forced" to move up? I can't really recall. Seems like once a school goes to 8-man, they're not around very long after that. Think Aurelia, North Sentral Kossuth, Armstrong-Ringstead, Adair-Casey, etc.

Here's the link to Department of Education data back to 1991-92:

18-19 - 94
19-20 - 102
20-21 - 133
21-22 - 136

Sidney BEDS numbers
18-19 - 154
19-20 - 131
20-21 - 136
21-22 - 130

I believe rockford was at 8 man for a few cycles before moving back up to A. I don't know if they were forced to or not. In 2016 and 2017 they played 11 man. They didn't win a game in 11 man those 2 years. They dropped back down to 8 man in 2018 and ended up state runner-up. Their losing streak before 2018 was nearly 3 full seasons stretching back to their previous 8 man days. I think this is how that went down anyway.

Reactions: rc1963 and cjm3260
Some transparency on the boys union would solve all of this. If there's an exception, I wish they would explain the exception so there isn't speculation. 8 man (and other small classes in other states) is absolutely needed for this sport in high school athletics. Borderline teams, especially teams that CAN field an 11 man roster, shouldn't be granted exceptions. I understand all of the field size logistics and with borderline teams that can be a testy subject. Transparency from the state would kill all that noise.

Reactions: cjm3260 and Hwkfn1
My 8-Man Projections
D1 Bishop Garrigan, GTRA, H-LP, North Iowa, Northwood-Kensett, St Mary's, N-F, WB-M, and K-P
D2 Rice, Rock, Turkey, Kee, Central (Elk), Tripoli, West Central, Clarksville, Janesville
D3 Glad-Rein, Dunk, Bosco, Ed-Co, Central City, Easton, Midland, Springville, GMG
D4 C-W, Iowa Valley, H-L-V, Eng V, WACO, Winfield-Mt Union, New London, LT, Tri-County
D5 Meskwaki, BGM, Montezuma, Twin Cedars, M-D, SE Warren, Mormon Trail, Mora, Seymour
D6 Colo-Nesco, C-M, Bax, Grand View, Mart St. Mary's, Murray, Lenox, Lamoni, East Union
D7 Audubon, EEHK, CAM, Gris, Stanton, Bed, East Mills, F-M
D8 Riv V, Sioux Ch, ArWeVa, Boy V, Glid-Rals, CR-B, FD St Ed, Wood, W Harrison

In IL (which is typically not the state you want to emulate) they utilize a lot of single sport co-ops with neighboring districts in order to boost numbers.

D1East Buchanan, WinthropNashua-PlainfieldNewman Catholic, Mason CityNorth ButlerSaint AnsgarSouth Winneshiek, CalmarWapsie Valley, FairbankWest Fork, Sheffield
D2AlburnettBellevueClayton Ridge, GuttenbergLisbonMaquoketa Valley, DelhiNorth Cedar, StanwoodNorth Linn, Troy MillsStarmont
D3Belle PlaineColumbus JunctionHighland, RiversideLynnville-SullyNorth Mahaska, New SharonPekinWapelloWayne, Corydon
D4AHSTWEarlhamMount AyrRiverside, OaklandSidneySouthwest ValleySt. Albert, Council BluffsTri-Center, Neola
D5Alta/AureliaHintonIKM-ManningLawton-BronsonLogan-MagnoliaMissouri ValleyWestwood, SloanWoodbury Central, Moville
D6Akron-WestfieldGehlen Catholic, LeMarsHartley-Melvin-SanbornLake MillsMMCRUNorth UnionSouth O'Brien, PaullinaWest Hancock, Britt
D7AGWSR, AckleyBCLUW, ConradColfax-MingoGrundy CenterHudsonMadridNorth Tama, TraerOgden

Reactions: rc1963
My Take on Class A

I don't think it will be 7 districts of 8 but yet 8 districts of 7 but we will find out friday. I think you have some districts pretty close but you have a few schools crossing each other to go to different districts as I would put lake mills or starmont in district 1 and move East Buc to district 2, Lisbon or north cedar to district 3. Bellevue is the odd one that is tough to place.

heres my take if they go 8 Districts of 7 teams in Class A
D1East Buchanan, WinthropClayton Ridge, GuttenbergBellevueAlburnettMaquoketa Valley, DelhiStarmontNorth Linn, Troy Mills
D2LisbonNorth Cedar, StanwoodPekinBelle PlaineColumbus JunctionWapelloHighland, Riverside
D3Lynnville-SullyNorth Mahaska, New SharonColfax-MingoEarlhamSouthwest ValleyMount AyrWayne, Corydon
D4AHSTWRiverside, OaklandSidneySt. Albert, Council BluffsTri-Center, NeolaLogan-MagnoliaMissouri Valley
D5Akron-WestfieldHintonIKM-ManningLawton-BronsonGehlen Catholic, LeMarsWoodbury Central, MovilleWestwood, Sloan
D6Alta/AureliaWest Hancock, BrittHartley-Melvin-SanbornLake MillsMMCRUNorth UnionSouth O'Brien, Paullina
D7Saint AnsgarNewman Catholic, Mason CityNorth ButlerNashua-PlainfieldSouth Winneshiek, CalmarWapsie Valley, FairbankWest Fork, Sheffield
D8AGWSR, AckleyBCLUW, ConradOgdenGrundy CenterHudsonMadridNorth Tama, Traer

So are they coming out today or tomorrow, my gut says tomorrow because you know nothing is ever speedy with that group.

heres my take if they go 8 Districts of 7 teams in Class A
D1East Buchanan, WinthropClayton Ridge, GuttenbergBellevueAlburnettMaquoketa Valley, DelhiStarmontNorth Linn, Troy Mills
D2LisbonNorth Cedar, StanwoodPekinBelle PlaineColumbus JunctionWapelloHighland, Riverside
D3Lynnville-SullyNorth Mahaska, New SharonColfax-MingoEarlhamSouthwest ValleyMount AyrWayne, Corydon
D4AHSTWRiverside, OaklandSidneySt. Albert, Council BluffsTri-Center, NeolaLogan-MagnoliaMissouri Valley
D5Akron-WestfieldHintonIKM-ManningLawton-BronsonGehlen Catholic, LeMarsWoodbury Central, MovilleWestwood, Sloan
D6Alta/AureliaWest Hancock, BrittHartley-Melvin-SanbornLake MillsMMCRUNorth UnionSouth O'Brien, Paullina
D7Saint AnsgarNewman Catholic, Mason CityNorth ButlerNashua-PlainfieldSouth Winneshiek, CalmarWapsie Valley, FairbankWest Fork, Sheffield
D8AGWSR, AckleyBCLUW, ConradOgdenGrundy CenterHudsonMadridNorth Tama, Traer

I think you are a lot closer with this formatt.

But we do add sport - bowling was a relatively new add, archery was a relatively new add. All it takes is a shift in thinking to say that 8 man or 6 man is really a different offering, not a variant of an existing sport. If you think of it that way it's potatoe/potahto

I really hope that the state seriously considers small districts of 5 or 6 schools for class A, I know districts of 7 or 8, but geographically there are so many strange districts that come with bigger districts.

Reactions: cjm3260
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT